Project Ara Smartphone Will Run Modified Android L with Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and … more

Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Modify the Look of Your Volume Control – XDA TV

How many screenshots have you seen with a volume status bar in the … more
Post Reply

Can't find bluetooth tethering option

12th July 2014, 05:23 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag usa
Thanks Meter: 0
 
90 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2006
More
Just wanted to confirm, am I the only one with missing bluetooth tethering?

I really would like to Tether my tablet to my phone using bluetooth.

THANK YOU
12th July 2014, 11:19 PM   |  #2  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,386
 
6,826 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
It's removed. Needs a framework res edit to show.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
12th July 2014, 11:33 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag usa
Thanks Meter: 0
 
90 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2006
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb

It's removed. Needs a framework res edit to show.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thanks. Why are they still pulling **** like this. Come on, it's 2014.
12th July 2014, 11:55 PM   |  #4  
aooga's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 890
 
3,045 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyofalaye

Thanks. Why are they still pulling **** like this. Come on, it's 2014.

No one uses bluetooth tethering would be the biggest reason
18th July 2014, 10:27 AM   |  #5  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 457
 
1,634 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyofalaye

Thanks. Why are they still pulling **** like this.


Because bluetooth is inadequate to the task and it caused more problems than it was worth for most people.

.
18th July 2014, 11:46 AM   |  #6  
OP Member
Flag usa
Thanks Meter: 0
 
90 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2006
More
That's not true, actually bluetooth is the best for low data traffic, and at lower power consumption than any other options. Bluetooth tethering has been around since bluetooth 1.0 that's more than 15 yrs now. Please don't come here and spout rubbish. If you don't know something, and are not asking a question, it's better to keep quiet. Misinformation is worse than keeping your mouth shut
18th July 2014, 06:28 PM   |  #7  
aooga's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 890
 
3,045 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyofalaye

That's not true, actually bluetooth is the best for low data traffic, and at lower power consumption than any other options. Bluetooth tethering has been around since bluetooth 1.0 that's more than 15 yrs now. Please don't come here and spout rubbish. If you don't know something, and are not asking a question, it's better to keep quiet. Misinformation is worse than keeping your mouth shut

In my experience, it uses the same amount of battery as wifi tethering, which is far easier to connect, not to mention faster.
19th July 2014, 03:05 PM   |  #8  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,386
 
6,826 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga

In my experience, it uses the same amount of battery as wifi tethering, which is far easier to connect, not to mention faster.

Not in my experience. It's fast enough for tethering. Also, it does use less power. Bluetooth is at best 30 feet. WiFi 100 yards. Therefore requires less power to push the signal. I like Bluetooth tethering. Only really use it for adb and quick laptop web browsing.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
19th July 2014, 05:57 PM   |  #9  
OP Member
Flag usa
Thanks Meter: 0
 
90 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2006
More
You know, speaking of which, I think it is still there somehow. If you were to get one of those Android wear, they I'm guessing are using bluetooth tethering to connect.
Anyways all I'm trying to do is turn my tablet into a glorified gps unit.
20th July 2014, 09:37 AM   |  #10  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 457
 
1,634 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyofalaye

don't come here and spout rubbish. If you don't know something, [.. blah blah blah]


If you lost the attitude, you'd get more constructive help. As noted above bluetooth does not typically result in any real world power saving. It's harder to configure and connect and crucially has an extremely limited range that is problematic for many people.

Blue tooth is annoying to use and is dying a slow death as more and more people grow disenchanted with it. You seem to be an evangalist, but the majority disagree with you and the Android development team formed the same opinion. Good riddance.

.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in T-Mobile Galaxy S 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank