OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 93

1,641 posts
Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app
5th September 2014, 01:22 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

1,641 posts
When I use my Gs5 as s hot spot for internet for my laptop if I use a vpn the data will not work. If I try to download a web page it will say theres no data connection but if I disconnected the vpn it works just fine.Does anyone know why when connected to a vpn this problem occurs. Thanks In advance!!!

5th September 2014, 11:00 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 4,468

6,922 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xda23

When I use my Gs5 as s hot spot for internet for my laptop if I use a vpn the data will not work. If I try to download a web page it will say theres no data connection but if I disconnected the vpn it works just fine.Does anyone know why when connected to a vpn this problem occurs. Thanks In advance!!!

More then likely, the VPN is detecting the tethering connection causing it to try to encrypt that as well as the actual data connection.

I take it you're using an app to establish a connection to the VPN? try using the native VPN connection inside android. I have used a VPN with tethering before and I believe that was my setup.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to elesbb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th September 2014, 01:32 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

1,641 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb

More then likely, the VPN is detecting the tethering connection causing it to try to encrypt that as well as the actual data connection.

I take it you're using an app to establish a connection to the VPN? try using the native VPN connection inside android. I have used a VPN with tethering before and I believe that was my setup.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Yes I'am using an app to establish a connection.how do I set up the native vpn connection inside android. Thanks
6th September 2014, 02:53 AM   |  #5  

6,922 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yes I'am using an app to establish a connection.how do I set up the native vpn connection inside android. Thanks

Settings > Connections > More networks.

You will need to get the server destination address and other information from your VPN client.
6th September 2014, 03:01 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

1,641 posts
Quote:

Settings > Connections > More networks.

You will need to get the server destination address and other information from your VPN client.

Thanks my friend.
6th September 2014, 03:41 AM   |  #7  

6,922 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks my friend.

Yup. I've used that method for playing PS3.
6th September 2014, 05:00 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

1,641 posts
Hey if I was to use wifi tethering app from the market for rooted devices then a vpn app set up would work right? I just need to use the built-in vpn setup when using my native wifi hotspot? I that right. Thanks.
6th September 2014, 03:22 PM   |  #9  

6,922 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Hey if I was to use wifi tethering app from the market for rooted devices then a vpn app set up would work right? I just need to use the built-in vpn setup when using my native wifi hotspot? I that right. Thanks.

Nope. You need the built-in VPN setup any time you tether. Whats happening is the VPN App is detecting the WiFi connection and you data connection as being "internet connections" therefore it tries to encrypt the WiFi and Data connections double encrypting the data. Or, its not sure what network to port the data through. Using the built-in VPN setup only allows the data connection to be "VPNed"

I used to use WiFi Tether For Root Users on my S4 but still had troubles with VPN until I manually set up the VPN in android.
6th September 2014, 07:42 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

1,641 posts
Quote:

Nope. You need the built-in VPN setup any time you tether. Whats happening is the VPN App is detecting the WiFi connection and you data connection as being "internet connections" therefore it tries to encrypt the WiFi and Data connections double encrypting the data. Or, its not sure what network to port the data through. Using the built-in VPN setup only allows the data connection to be "VPNed"

I used to use WiFi Tether For Root Users on my S4 but still had troubles with VPN until I manually set up the VPN in android.

O.k. I got you.Im going to set me up a android vpn. Thanks, my friend.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread