FORUMS

Galaxy S6 & Edge get €100 Price Cut—New Models Incoming

Samsung has dropped the price of both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge by … more

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

Sunday Debate: How Can We Get a No-Compromise Phone?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Compromises. Come with your opinions and … more

My data dont work when using a vpn

2,241 posts
Thanks Meter: 162
 
By xda23, Senior Member on 5th September 2014, 12:17 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app
 
 
5th September 2014, 12:22 AM |#2  
xda23's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 162
 
More
When I use my Gs5 as s hot spot for internet for my laptop if I use a vpn the data will not work. If I try to download a web page it will say theres no data connection but if I disconnected the vpn it works just fine.Does anyone know why when connected to a vpn this problem occurs. Thanks In advance!!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app
5th September 2014, 10:00 AM |#3  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,696
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xda23

When I use my Gs5 as s hot spot for internet for my laptop if I use a vpn the data will not work. If I try to download a web page it will say theres no data connection but if I disconnected the vpn it works just fine.Does anyone know why when connected to a vpn this problem occurs. Thanks In advance!!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app

More then likely, the VPN is detecting the tethering connection causing it to try to encrypt that as well as the actual data connection.

I take it you're using an app to establish a connection to the VPN? try using the native VPN connection inside android. I have used a VPN with tethering before and I believe that was my setup.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to elesbb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th September 2014, 12:32 PM |#4  
xda23's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 162
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb

More then likely, the VPN is detecting the tethering connection causing it to try to encrypt that as well as the actual data connection.

I take it you're using an app to establish a connection to the VPN? try using the native VPN connection inside android. I have used a VPN with tethering before and I believe that was my setup.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Yes I'am using an app to establish a connection.how do I set up the native vpn connection inside android. Thanks
6th September 2014, 01:53 AM |#5  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,696
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xda23

Yes I'am using an app to establish a connection.how do I set up the native vpn connection inside android. Thanks

Settings > Connections > More networks.

You will need to get the server destination address and other information from your VPN client.
The Following User Says Thank You to elesbb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th September 2014, 02:01 AM |#6  
xda23's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 162
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb

Settings > Connections > More networks.

You will need to get the server destination address and other information from your VPN client.

Thanks my friend.
6th September 2014, 02:41 AM |#7  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,696
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xda23

Thanks my friend.

Yup. I've used that method for playing PS3.
The Following User Says Thank You to elesbb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th September 2014, 04:00 AM |#8  
xda23's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 162
 
More
Hey if I was to use wifi tethering app from the market for rooted devices then a vpn app set up would work right? I just need to use the built-in vpn setup when using my native wifi hotspot? I that right. Thanks.
6th September 2014, 02:22 PM |#9  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,696
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xda23

Hey if I was to use wifi tethering app from the market for rooted devices then a vpn app set up would work right? I just need to use the built-in vpn setup when using my native wifi hotspot? I that right. Thanks.

Nope. You need the built-in VPN setup any time you tether. Whats happening is the VPN App is detecting the WiFi connection and you data connection as being "internet connections" therefore it tries to encrypt the WiFi and Data connections double encrypting the data. Or, its not sure what network to port the data through. Using the built-in VPN setup only allows the data connection to be "VPNed"

I used to use WiFi Tether For Root Users on my S4 but still had troubles with VPN until I manually set up the VPN in android.
The Following User Says Thank You to elesbb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th September 2014, 06:42 PM |#10  
xda23's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 162
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb

Nope. You need the built-in VPN setup any time you tether. Whats happening is the VPN App is detecting the WiFi connection and you data connection as being "internet connections" therefore it tries to encrypt the WiFi and Data connections double encrypting the data. Or, its not sure what network to port the data through. Using the built-in VPN setup only allows the data connection to be "VPNed"

I used to use WiFi Tether For Root Users on my S4 but still had troubles with VPN until I manually set up the VPN in android.

O.k. I got you.Im going to set me up a android vpn. Thanks, my friend.
6th September 2014, 06:53 PM |#11  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,696
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xda23

O.k. I got you.Im going to set me up a android vpn. Thanks, my friend.

Shouldn't be too hard. Just contact your VPN service provider, and ask them for the specific connection options you need. For instance, I know Private Internet Access allows you to connect without using their app. They have a webpage setup that has all the info you need depending which server you wish to connect to

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes