Finally upgraded to a larger sd card.... need help or insight on this issue though.

28th July 2014, 07:08 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 171

393 posts
I just upgraded to a SanDisk 32gb from my old 8gb and now i am missing a lot of my apps. They show in the app drawer, but when i try to open them i get the error that the app is not installed.

Here is what i did, hoping i could save everything.

1. I removed my 8gb card and copied everything to my pc.

2. Then i inserted the new card and copied all the old files to it.

3. I inserted the new sd card into my s5 with the power off on the device.

4. Booted the phone, and the apps show in the drawer, but upon opening the apps i get the message that the app is not installed.

Any help?

Ps> sorry guys that i haven't been around much this month. I had to fire 4 employees of mine over a two week span and pick up their work.

I will try to be more active, for those that missed me. Hehe
28th July 2014, 10:30 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 458

1,639 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by em0ney14

I just upgraded to a SanDisk 32gb from my old 8gb and now i am missing a lot of my apps. They show in the app drawer, but when i try to open them i get the error that the app is not installed

You are making an erroneous assumption that a file by file copy would save you from having to reinstall apps. An sector by sector image would have been a better approach. One of the descrepancies between the old card and new is apparently leading the OS to conclude that the installed app files are no longer available.

It might be tied to a volume serial number or erroneous path, etc. But my guess would be that you missed copying a hidden system directory. In any event, try again or reinstall the apps.

The Following User Says Thank You to fffft For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th July 2014, 07:57 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 171

393 posts
Thanks for the response @fffft , i already formatted the old sd card and gave it to a buddy that has an s4 and had memory issues, with his kids installing every game they can find. Lol. I see a hidden folder that contains about 1.86 gb of data that looks like the files that i am missing, it seems that it was just copied to a different place on the new sd card, im trying to place it correctly, but if it doesn't work then i will just reinstall.

Thanks again.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in T-Mobile Galaxy S 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank