Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,156 Members 46,629 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

G900T on Verizon

Tip us?

knexkid
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default G900T on Verizon

So my Verizon contract expired so I hopped over to T mobile and got myself the S5. Tmobile's service has been appalling IMO and I want to switch back to Verizon. Will my S5 work on Verizon? Do I have to do anything with the phone? I have had it for over 40 days and from what I have read I just have to bring it to the tmobile store and ask them to unlock it. After I do that will I be able to take it to the verizon store for service? Thanks!

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by knexkid View Post
So my Verizon contract expired so I hopped over to T mobile and got myself the S5. Tmobile's service has been appalling IMO and I want to switch back to Verizon. Will my S5 work on Verizon? Do I have to do anything with the phone? I have had it for over 40 days and from what I have read I just have to bring it to the tmobile store and ask them to unlock it. After I do that will I be able to take it to the verizon store for service? Thanks!
Verizon is CDMA, tmobile is GSM. So, no. They have different bands.
The Following User Says Thank You to aooga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

knexkid
Old
(Last edited by knexkid; 7th July 2014 at 08:45 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga View Post
Verizon is CDMA, tmobile is GSM. So, no. They have different bands.
I thought this was not an issue because my understanding is the 900T was basically the international edition of the S5 so it had all the different bands. Why is it legal to even sell me a $650 phone that is locked to one provider?

What carriers CAN I use this phone with?

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 835
Quote:
I thought this was not an issue because my understanding is the 900T was basically the international edition of the S5 so it had all the different bands. Why is it legal to even sell me a $650 phone that is locked to one provider?

What carriers CAN I use this phone with?
Anything but Verizon or Sprint. You're correct that it's pretty much the international edition, but other than Japan and a few other countries, everyone uses GSM. As to why it's legal, blame Verizon and Sprint, not the 99% of other carriers.
The Following User Says Thank You to aooga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

knexkid
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga View Post
Anything but Verizon or Sprint. You're correct that it's pretty much the international edition, but other than Japan and a few other countries, everyone uses GSM. As to why it's legal, blame Verizon and Sprint, not the 99% of other carriers.
Barf, thanks for the info. Cell phone companies drive me nuts!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to knexkid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

daraj
Old
Thanks Meter 155

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Barf, thanks for the info. Cell phone companies drive me nuts!!!
Just Verizon and Sprint