Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,597 Members 52,170 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] "mobile odin has stopped working"

Tip us?

Rev_zero
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] "mobile odin has stopped working"

I have a T Mobile GS5 which I Towel-rooted soon after purchase. It is currently running the stock NE6 build.

I wanted to upgrade w/ the Mobile Odin app and maintain root. However, after paying for and installing Mobile Odin (4.20), when I open the app, it immediately crashes and says it has stopped working. Given the option to report the failure or close, I chose to report. This returns a message that the google play store has stopped working.

Am I just being stupd? I have searched high and low for some similar posting or support and can find nothing.
Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.....

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_zero View Post
I have searched high and low for some similar posting or support and can find nothing.

Everyone says that they have searched, whether they have or not. It's too bad that you didn't tell us how you tried to search. Or what keywords you used, we could have helped you improve your searches. There are a ton of xxxx (app) has stopped working threads, so it's difficult to understand how you didn't find any.

You should have a second look as there is a wealth of information in existing threads. But to summarize briefly, you can try these steps -

You may not have installed the support files properly. Read the directions carefully and reinstall the app.
Try wiping your cache from recovery mode.
Clear the app's cache and data in the application manger in the settings menu.
As a last resort, close any background apps that may be causing a conflict.

Rev_zero
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft View Post
Everyone says that they have searched, whether they have or not. It's too bad that you didn't tell us how you tried to search. Or what keywords you used, we could have helped you improve your searches. There are a ton of xxxx (app) has stopped working threads, so it's difficult to understand how you didn't find any.

You should have a second look as there is a wealth of information in existing threads. But to summarize briefly, you can try these steps -

You may not have installed the support files properly. Read the directions carefully and reinstall the app.
Try wiping your cache from recovery mode.
Clear the app's cache and data in the application manger in the settings menu.
As a last resort, close any background apps that may be causing a conflict.

in the three + weeks since I loaded the program have searched thru quite a few key words, including the exact error message, combinations of odin not working, tmobile mobile odin not working, ad nauseum. None of the threads I saw, and there were many, addressed odin not opening at all. Never since loading. Most folks have issues w/ flashing the wrong types of files, or not checking some box. I have never seen the odin screen. And in any search I have never seen that problem described.

When you say supporting files, what are you referring to? I know that the MO lite offered here requires supporting files, but I paid for mine, didnt know it wasnt complete. I tried loading up the lite version and got the same thing, instant shutdown. Makes me think that it is not an issue with MO but maybe something on my phone. Are you aware of any background apps which may cause conflict? I cleared the MO cache and data. Also forced a stop and rebooted. And removed/reinstalled.

So by posting here, I am not really looking to refine my searches so much as looking for someone who maybe had the same issue, overcame it, and is willing to share that insight to relieve my stupidity. I guess that wouldn't be you, although I appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 411
Quote:
So by posting here, I am not really looking to refine my searches so much as looking for someone who maybe had the same issue, overcame it, and is willing to share that insight

I appreciate your forthright candor. It's not possible to help everyone, so I choose to put my time towards helping those who tried to search the forum before posting. Just as you prefer to have someone who has been through the same experience provide you the answer. I'm not sure that is an efficient strategy except for the most common problems.

The likely solution is as I summarized earlier for any app that presents a ".. stopped working" message. Perhaps as you hope, someone who has had the same issue can further advise you. Good luck.

Rev_zero
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft View Post
I appreciate your forthright candor. It's not possible to help everyone, so I choose to put my time towards helping those who tried to search the forum before posting. Just as you prefer to have someone who has been through the same experience provide you the answer. I'm not sure that is an efficient strategy except for the most common problems.

The likely solution is as I summarized earlier for any app that presents a ".. stopped working" message. Perhaps as you hope, someone who has had the same issue can further advise you. Good luck.

After going back and reading some more, something hit me, it was always kinda right there......

Looking at the screenshot of the MO display, i noticed the 'clear dalvik cache' command. Reminded me that I had been screwing around and had turned ART on to see how it ran. Wonder where the 'clear art cache' box is..............oh.

Turned dalvik back on, runs like a champ. just downloaded the addons, opened the tar I had on the external sd and I think I'm ready.

As I never did see a thread referring to this specific issue I figured I would document for the forum's info.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

In2deep777
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default had the same problem

Quote:
After going back and reading some more, something hit me, it was always kinda right there......

Looking at the screenshot of the MO display, i noticed the 'clear dalvik cache' command. Reminded me that I had been screwing around and had turned ART on to see how it ran. Wonder where the 'clear art cache' box is..............oh.

Turned dalvik back on, runs like a champ. just downloaded the addons, opened the tar I had on the external sd and I think I'm ready.

As I never did see a thread referring to this specific issue I figured I would document for the forum's info.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I ran into the same problem. So, no need to feel stupid and im glad to see u realized the problem.
Its a learning process. Lol