Stock Email App Notifications Problem

OP kssm

23rd July 2014, 12:31 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
More
I have a new T-Mobile Galaxy S5. I'm using the stock email app with my organizations Exchange messaging system. My particular account has multiple folders with rules that route messages depending on the sender, pretty common for business users.

The problem is that when I receive two or more emails to any folder other than inbox the notification displays the wrong message. For example, if I get a couple of new emails to a folder called VIP the notification will indicate two new messages, so far so good. However, when I take a closer look the messages indicated are actually the newest from my inbox which could be hours or days old rather than the correct one just received in the VIP folder. It only happens when there are multiple notifications pending for a single account and only within the context of the notifications. If I go to the email app itself everything is where it should be.

Unless I'm missing something this is a huge flaw and I can't imagine how this could have escaped testing. I would very much appreciate if anybody could please advise.

Thank you

Kevin
23rd July 2014, 11:11 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 621

1,978 posts
Given that the problem is the type of notification, it's just as likely caused by the remote Exchange server as the email app. If you did a forum search to see if others are seeing the same problem, it would be a lot easier to discern a pattern.

If you want to expedite fixing (a possible) email bug, take the time to describe it well in a post to the Android /Google bug list. Or more expediently, try using a third party Exchange compatible mail app and see if that resolves the issue.

24th July 2014, 12:32 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft

Given that the problem is the type of notification, it's just as likely caused by the remote Exchange server as the email app. If you did a forum search to see if others are seeing the same problem, it would be a lot easier to discern a pattern.

If you want to expedite fixing (a possible) email bug, take the time to describe it well in a post to the Android /Google bug list. Or more expediently, try using a third party Exchange compatible mail app and see if that resolves the issue.

I thought about the backend too but after so many years of using various phones and email clients with Exchange it seemed to me like it was the device. Sure enough, Nine, Touchdown and Mail Wise all work perfectly. Therefore, itís likely an issue with the stock email app and an obscure one at that. I will pursue reporting the problem as you suggested and take up the matter with T-Mobile too. Searches on XDA and the internet turned up nothing but that could just be me missing something.

Thanks
24th July 2014, 07:32 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 621

1,978 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kssm

I thought about the backend too but after so many years of using various phones and email clients with Exchange it seemed to me like it was the device. Sure enough, Nine, Touchdown and Mail Wise all work perfectly. Therefore, itís likely an issue with the stock email app and an obscure one at that. I will pursue reporting the problem as you suggested and take up the matter with T-Mobile too. Searches on XDA and the internet turned up nothing but that could just be me missing something.

I'm not sure that complaining to TMobile will do much. But Google does take the Android bug list seriously. It sounds like you have a good handle on the issue now. Well done.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread