Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Modify the Look of Your Volume Control – XDA TV

How many screenshots have you seen with a volume status bar in the … more

Prepare Your Nokia X2 for Battle with Nokia X2 Tools

Unveiled in June this year, the Nokia X2 is the Finnish companys second crack at an … more
Post Reply

[Q] Tethering as a wifi adapter

7th July 2014, 12:52 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
I'm on the Infinity ROM and looking to use my phone as a wifi adapter. I used to be able to just disable Mobile Data and turn on usb tethering but this ROM seems to automatically turn off wifi when I turn on tethering. Is there any way to get around this? I'd like to at least get to use it to tether if not as a native adapter(connect to wifi from computer instead of setting it up on phone).
23rd July 2014, 10:46 AM   |  #2  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 457
 
1,632 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler501

(connect to wifi from computer instead of setting it up on phone).


Not using your particular ROM. Nor will the majority of people reading this thread. Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to ask in the support thread for that custom ROM?

Alternately, what you are trying to do is usually referred to as reverse tethering.
So look in the Play store for reverse tethering apps e.g. this or this.

.
23rd July 2014, 09:38 PM   |  #3  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,386
 
6,826 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft

Not using your particular ROM. Nor will the majority of people reading this thread. Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to ask in the support thread for that custom ROM?

Alternately, what you are trying to do is usually referred to as reverse tethering.
So look in the Play store for reverse tethering apps e.g. this or this.

.

The OP prolly can't post in development threads due to post count.

And what they want is NOT reverse tethering. Reverse tethering is using the computer internet on the phone. Meaning, the phone does not have a data connection or a wifi connection and wants to obtain internet through the USB port (meaning computer)

What the OP described is the proper way to tether the WiFi connection of the phone to the computer. Not sure why its turning off his WiFi.

OP, if you turn on USB tethering and disable data, then turn on wifi, what happens?
24th July 2014, 01:08 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb

The OP prolly can't post in development threads due to post count.

And what they want is NOT reverse tethering. Reverse tethering is using the computer internet on the phone. Meaning, the phone does not have a data connection or a wifi connection and wants to obtain internet through the USB port (meaning computer)

What the OP described is the proper way to tether the WiFi connection of the phone to the computer. Not sure why its turning off his WiFi.

OP, if you turn on USB tethering and disable data, then turn on wifi, what happens?

You are correct that I can't post in the development thread because of post count.

When I try turning wifi back on after turning on tethering it gets a popup saying that turning on wifi turns off usb tethering.
24th July 2014, 01:15 AM   |  #5  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,386
 
6,826 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler501

You are correct that I can't post in the development thread because of post count.

When I try turning wifi back on after turning on tethering it gets a popup saying that turning on wifi turns off usb tethering.

Hm, thats strange. I can try to make an xposed module to disable that?
24th July 2014, 01:28 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb

Hm, thats strange. I can try to make an xposed module to disable that?

I'm actually able to post now so I posted in their thread to see if they could tell me how to fix it.

Otherwise do you have any ROMs to recommend that have wifi tethering available?
24th July 2014, 02:13 AM   |  #7  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,386
 
6,826 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler501

I'm actually able to post now so I posted in their thread to see if they could tell me how to fix it.

Otherwise do you have any ROMs to recommend that have wifi tethering available?

Mine once i release it lol. Other than that, just try different ones in the development thread

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in T-Mobile Galaxy S 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank