Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

LG to Release Octa-Core “Nuclun” SoC in the LG G3 Screen

LG is set to follow the likes of Samsung and other manufacture its own … more

Lockdown Pro 2 Brings Material Design and Media Support

Back in March of this year, we took a look at a rather innovated security application … more

Mural Watchface Brings 500px to Android Wear

On a traditional watch, you can’t really do too much to change its appearance once … more
Post Reply

[Q] Tethering as a wifi adapter

OP ruler501

7th July 2014, 12:52 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
I'm on the Infinity ROM and looking to use my phone as a wifi adapter. I used to be able to just disable Mobile Data and turn on usb tethering but this ROM seems to automatically turn off wifi when I turn on tethering. Is there any way to get around this? I'd like to at least get to use it to tether if not as a native adapter(connect to wifi from computer instead of setting it up on phone).
23rd July 2014, 10:46 AM   |  #2  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 550
 
1,889 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler501

(connect to wifi from computer instead of setting it up on phone).


Not using your particular ROM. Nor will the majority of people reading this thread. Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to ask in the support thread for that custom ROM?

Alternately, what you are trying to do is usually referred to as reverse tethering.
So look in the Play store for reverse tethering apps e.g. this or this.

.
23rd July 2014, 09:38 PM   |  #3  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,412
 
6,852 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft

Not using your particular ROM. Nor will the majority of people reading this thread. Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to ask in the support thread for that custom ROM?

Alternately, what you are trying to do is usually referred to as reverse tethering.
So look in the Play store for reverse tethering apps e.g. this or this.

.

The OP prolly can't post in development threads due to post count.

And what they want is NOT reverse tethering. Reverse tethering is using the computer internet on the phone. Meaning, the phone does not have a data connection or a wifi connection and wants to obtain internet through the USB port (meaning computer)

What the OP described is the proper way to tether the WiFi connection of the phone to the computer. Not sure why its turning off his WiFi.

OP, if you turn on USB tethering and disable data, then turn on wifi, what happens?
24th July 2014, 01:08 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb

The OP prolly can't post in development threads due to post count.

And what they want is NOT reverse tethering. Reverse tethering is using the computer internet on the phone. Meaning, the phone does not have a data connection or a wifi connection and wants to obtain internet through the USB port (meaning computer)

What the OP described is the proper way to tether the WiFi connection of the phone to the computer. Not sure why its turning off his WiFi.

OP, if you turn on USB tethering and disable data, then turn on wifi, what happens?

You are correct that I can't post in the development thread because of post count.

When I try turning wifi back on after turning on tethering it gets a popup saying that turning on wifi turns off usb tethering.
24th July 2014, 01:15 AM   |  #5  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,412
 
6,852 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler501

You are correct that I can't post in the development thread because of post count.

When I try turning wifi back on after turning on tethering it gets a popup saying that turning on wifi turns off usb tethering.

Hm, thats strange. I can try to make an xposed module to disable that?
24th July 2014, 01:28 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb

Hm, thats strange. I can try to make an xposed module to disable that?

I'm actually able to post now so I posted in their thread to see if they could tell me how to fix it.

Otherwise do you have any ROMs to recommend that have wifi tethering available?
24th July 2014, 02:13 AM   |  #7  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,412
 
6,852 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler501

I'm actually able to post now so I posted in their thread to see if they could tell me how to fix it.

Otherwise do you have any ROMs to recommend that have wifi tethering available?

Mine once i release it lol. Other than that, just try different ones in the development thread
7th October 2014, 07:28 PM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 96
 
870 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
Anyone figure out how to fix this?
Still haven't found out how to reenable this myself.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in T-Mobile Galaxy S 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank