Wifi routers and S5 battery drain?

3rd September 2014, 06:03 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag St. Louis
Thanks Meter: 13

64 posts
Donate to Me
More
I live in a college dorm, and my battery life on my s5 got really bad once I moved back in this year. At home I run this phone exclusively on Wifi, as I am out of a coverage area. Battery life is phenomenal at home, (about a day and a half, light use) but here I can barely make it through a day. I checked my battery stats and from what I can tell, Wifi reconnects are causing my battery drain. There are multiple relay routers throughout my building, and my phone is constantly reconnecting to different ones. My question is, is there any way to fix this issue beyond turning off Wifi?
3rd September 2014, 07:03 AM   |  #2  
Flag Saint Louis missouri
Thanks Meter: 99

447 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoslink1

I live in a college dorm, and my battery life on my s5 got really bad once I moved back in this year. At home I run this phone exclusively on Wifi, as I am out of a coverage area. Battery life is phenomenal at home, (about a day and a half, light use) but here I can barely make it through a day. I checked my battery stats and from what I can tell, Wifi reconnects are causing my battery drain. There are multiple relay routers throughout my building, and my phone is constantly reconnecting to different ones. My question is, is there any way to fix this issue beyond turning off Wifi?

I take it all the routers have the same ssid? If not lock it to one . Or you can buy a router that acts as a access point to retransmit the wifi but give it its own ID and just connect to that one . I know this may not be possible especially if your dorms are like the one i was in and had concrete block walls .I guess your phone dont know which one to connect to . I would just buy a router you can flash DD wrt on and use as an access point or just buy one that acts as one .They are pretty cheap to buy and this way you can name it what ever you want and just connect to it and forget the other network ID's
3rd September 2014, 10:48 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 461

1,645 posts
If you are in a limited area, then buy a router and use it as a wireless bridge or repeater. And just have your phone connect to your own router.

A lot of reconnects are due to Google. Google cares a lot more about building a statistical model of your net activity and serving you targeted ads than your battery life. To wit, Google checks whether you have connectivity to their servers and if not will disconnect your wifi and seek a different access point. Do a search for the particulars and block that.

And if your phone is alternating between multiple access points when you are within range of both, then use an app to fix your phone to one access point.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread