Root g925t and g920t on 5.1.1 without tripping knox

Search This thread

sm_x

Nov 8, 2009
This was posted in the PingPongRoot thread. I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Here is how you root g925t and g920t on 5.1.1 without tripping knox. All credit for rooting method go to original developers. I in no way take any credit for their hard work whatsoever.

Download These Files

1. Samsung USB Drivers (Click Here)
2. Odin v3.10.6
3. SuperSu v2.49
4. UniKernel
5. Auo's v4 kernel
6. Auo's TWRP v12
7. MOD EDIT: Sorry, Samsung have requested this link be removed.
7b. MOD EDIT: Sorry, Samsung have requested this link be removed.

If you plan on using the Unikernel to root your g925t or g920t on 5.1.1 use these steps

1. Install Samsung USB Drivers if necessary.
2. Put phone into download mode. Power phone off then press and hold Volume down, home and power keys at same time until you see warning screen then let go and hit volume up one time.
3. Plug phone in and wait for drivers to install if necessary.
4. Open odin you should now see phone's modem port highlighted in blue.
5. Click on BL tab and select correct sboot.bin that you downloaded above. Then click start.
6. When phone comes back on power off again and put into download mode.
7. Open odin again and this time select AP tab and select UniKernel file and click start.
8. That is it!!! When it comes back on phone will be rooted. To verify that knox has not been tripped go back to download mode and it should still say KNOX WARRANTY: 0 (0X0000)

If you plan on using Aou's Kernel and TWRP to root your G925T on 5.1.1 (DO NOT USE THIS FOR G920T) use the steps below

1. Install Samsung USB drivers if necessary.
2. Copy and Paste SuperSU v2.49 on the root folder of your phone's internal memory.
3. Put phone into download mode. Power phone off then press and hold Volume down, home and power keys at same time until you see warning screen then let go and hit volume up one time.
4. Plug phone into computer and let drivers install if necessary.
5. Open odin and click on BL tab and select sboot.bin file for g925t and click start.
6. When phone is back on put back into download mode again.
7. Open odin again and this time select AP tab and flash Aou's TWRP file and hit start.
8. When phone is back on put phone into download mode one last time.
9. Open odin and select AP tab and select Aou's v4 kernel and click start.
10. When phone is back on unplug it and power it off and put into recovery mode (Volume up, home and power keys)
11. When TWRP recovery is open click on install tab and select supersu file and swipe to flash it. then reboot phone to system.
12. That is it!!! When it comes back on phone will be rooted. To verify that knox has not been tripped go back to download mode and it should still say KNOX WARRANTY: 0 (0X0000)

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU FLASH THE FILES IN THE ORDER THE INSTRUCTIONS TELL YOU TO FLASH THEM!!!

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

If for some reason after you flash UniKernel and phone screen turns white after on main screen for few seconds Just flash Aou's v4 kernel. That will fix that issue if it happens and you will still be rooted.

Update: Tested the 2nd method using Aou's Kernel and TWRP and had some issues with the fingerprint scanner. I would suggest going with the first method

FDdJeYw.png

un12146.png

Last edited by a moderator:

zozodouce

Nov 3, 2010
best news of the day.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:good::good::good::good::good::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

gdmlaz

Jul 16, 2010
Miami
This makes no sense to me, Flashing a modified kernel is the thing that trips knox, Unless Sboot flashes it back at zero, But if it was that simple then anybody could just flash sboot at the end and have knox at 0

NexVision

May 10, 2005
This makes no sense to me, Flashing a modified kernel is the thing that trips knox, Unless Sboot flashes it back at zero, But if it was that simple then anybody could just flash sboot at the end and have knox at 0
The sboot file posted is stated to be an engineering sboot file. In theory this would allow them to flash and do testing without having to worry about refusing knox. I have not tested this in fact is true. I did try flashing it out of curiousity and my counter did not go up but I am already tripped. Also not sure what the cause was but my fingerprint reader got screwed up as well. I did not try wiping to see if it would fix though.

Last edited:

mrbmg

Nov 14, 2010
Midlothian, TX
I'm doing this as we speak. I got the sboot flashed, and when it restarted, it did come back with a fingerprint scanner error. Just rebooted to flash kernel, so we shall see! On the reboot after flashing sboot knox was still at 0, flashed unikernel on 920t, everything went ok, reboot fingerprint scanner error again. Restarted, and knox is still saying 0x000. Hmmm...

Last edited:

lrmdaddy

Nov 17, 2010
gainesville,fl
I did both ways on spare s6 edge tmobile knox triped both ways.... please do not post wont trip knox unless it has been fully tested...

mrbmg

Nov 14, 2010
Midlothian, TX
Again, I followed the directions on my SM-920T and knox isn't void.

Current Binary : Custom
System Status : Custom
Secure Download : Enabled
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0 (0X0000)
AP SWREV: B:2 K:2 S:2

Reactions: xisrab

aaronc_98

Jun 7, 2010
Carlsbad
Google Pixel 6 Pro
---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
Again, I followed the directions on my SM-920T and knox isn't void.

Current Binary : Custom
System Status : Custom
Secure Download : Enabled
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0 (0X0000)
AP SWREV: B:2 K:2 S:2

Which Kernel did you flash? and did you flash TWRP? Please confirm that you are rooted and knox is still at 0. Thx

mrbmg

Nov 14, 2010
Midlothian, TX
---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

Which Kernel did you flash? and did you flash TWRP? Please confirm that you are rooted and knox is still at 0. Thx

I flashed the unikernel.

Was stuck in download mode. Just got it restarted. It does post about 3 lines of green writing now when I boot up on the Galaxy S6 screen. Fixing to see if root stuck.

lrmdaddy

Nov 17, 2010
gainesville,fl
Edit.....

I apologize i must have did something wrong both times, did it on 3rd one and knox didnt get tripped, i am sorry i opened my mouth, i did it wrong, apon redoing it i did it with out knox being tripped........thanks

mrbmg

Nov 14, 2010
Midlothian, TX
Wooohoooooooooo!!!!!!
So far it seems to have stuck :) Just got a superuser request!!! GRANTED BISHESSSSS!!!!

Ok... This is exactly what I did... I will post back with results later on tonight to make sure everything is up to snuff. THE FINGERPRINT SCANNER ISN'T WORKING AS OF YET. I think I saw another posted kernel for the 920T that fixes it, maybe? I DON'T HAVE A SAMSUNG GALAXY S6 EDGE! I have a SM-G920T. This is taken from the original quote from wonderingabout, all thanks should go to him. This is just what I did to a T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderingabout
Here is how you root g925t and g920t on 5.1.1 without tripping knox. All credit for rooting method go to original developers. I in no way take any credit for their hard work whatsoever.

Download These Files

2. Odin v3.10.6

4. UniKernel

7b. sboot.bin for G920T (s6 tmobile)

If you plan on using the Unikernel to root your g925t or g920t on 5.1.1 use these steps

2. Put phone into download mode. Power phone off then press and hold Volume down, home and power keys at same time until you see warning screen then let go and hit volume up one time.
5. Click on BL tab and select correct sboot.bin that you downloaded above. Then click start.
7. Open odin again and this time select AP tab and select UniKernel file and click start.
8. That is it!!! When it comes back on phone will be rooted. To verify that knox has not been tripped go back to download mode and it should still say KNOX WARRANTY: 0 (0X0000)

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

And I'm sure everyone already knows this, but to get back out of DOWNLOAD MODE after you check to see that knox wasn't tripped you hold all buttons until the phone either turns off or gives you a boot mode screen =/

I didn't, had to google it LoL

Last edited:

aaronc_98

Jun 7, 2010
Carlsbad
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Wooohoooooooooo!!!!!!
So far it seems to have stuck :) Just got a superuser request!!! GRANTED BISHESSSSS!!!!

Ok... This is exactly what I did... I will post back with results later on tonight to make sure everything is up to snuff. THE FINGERPRINT SCANNER ISN'T WORKING AS OF YET. I think I saw another posted kernel for the 920T that fixes it, maybe? I DON'T HAVE A SAMSUNG GALAXY S6 EDGE! I have a SM-G920T. This is taken from the original quote from wonderingabout, all thanks should go to him. This is just what I did to a T.

OK- I did too. I have a green message on boot screen, and in DL mode "Current Binary = custom" and "System Status = Custom", but KNOX is NOT tripped and I have root. I suppose if I flash the original sboot and kernel things would go back to Official, but I am just guessing.

thanks,

aaronc_98

Jun 7, 2010
Carlsbad
Google Pixel 6 Pro
OK- update _ cannot connect to wifi at all and the screen has some kind of white out bug that keeps happening. I need to find out how to go back to normal- anybody have an idea?

EDIT: I read in another thread if this happened to flash Aou's kernel. So I did and everything is is good and KNOX still not tripped and root enabled.

thanks,

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This was posted in the PingPongRoot thread. I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Download These Files

2. Odin v3.10.6
    3. SuperSu v2.49
    4. UniKernel
    5. Auo's v4 kernel
    6. Auo's TWRP v12
    7. MOD EDIT: Sorry, Samsung have requested this link be removed.
    7b. MOD EDIT: Sorry, Samsung have requested this link be removed.

If you plan on using Aou's Kernel and TWRP to root your G925T on 5.1.1 (DO NOT USE THIS FOR G920T) use the steps below

1. Install Samsung USB drivers if necessary.
    2. Copy and Paste SuperSU v2.49 on the root folder of your phone's internal memory.
    3. Put phone into download mode. Power phone off then press and hold Volume down, home and power keys at same time until you see warning screen then let go and hit volume up one time.
    4. Plug phone into computer and let drivers install if necessary.
    5. Open odin and click on BL tab and select sboot.bin file for g925t and click start.
    6. When phone is back on put back into download mode again.
    7. Open odin again and this time select AP tab and flash Aou's TWRP file and hit start.
    8. When phone is back on put phone into download mode one last time.
    9. Open odin and select AP tab and select Aou's v4 kernel and click start.
    10. When phone is back on unplug it and power it off and put into recovery mode (Volume up, home and power keys)
    11. When TWRP recovery is open click on install tab and select supersu file and swipe to flash it. then reboot phone to system.
    12. That is it!!! When it comes back on phone will be rooted. To verify that knox has not been tripped go back to download mode and it should still say KNOX WARRANTY: 0 (0X0000)

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU FLASH THE FILES IN THE ORDER THE INSTRUCTIONS TELL YOU TO FLASH THEM!!!

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

If for some reason after you flash UniKernel and phone screen turns white after on main screen for few seconds Just flash Aou's v4 kernel. That will fix that issue if it happens and you will still be rooted.

Update: Tested the 2nd method using Aou's Kernel and TWRP and had some issues with the fingerprint scanner. I would suggest going with the first method

FDdJeYw.png

un12146.png
    Hi. I tried your kernel with this method, and you've fixed the in call audio but I don't have root. In the thread it says your kernel allows root, so how can I install it? I don't have TWRP installed, is there a ODIN version of supersu I can flash? If not, how can I get root with your kernel. I don't want to trip knox.

Thanks

The only methods that seem to be working at this time are:
    a) Installing SuperSU via a custom recovery (e.g. TWRP), which implies flashing a custom recovery.
    b) Flashing one of the CF-Auto-Root packages, which flashes a custom recovery, boots into recovery, installs SuperSU, and then [I think] it puts your stock recovery back. Not sure about the last part. Haven't tried this since 5.1.1.
    c) PingPongRoot, which stopped working with 5.0.2, because nobody has found inherent root exploits in 5.1.1 yet.
    d) Flashing a custom kernel that installs root for you, such as UniKernel.

Note that at this time, the whole point of a custom kernel is to:
    a) Disable dm_verity signature checking of System - allowing modifications to System/ROM without causing a bootloop.
    b) Force SEAndroid to Permissive - allowing root
    c) Fixing Deep Sleep issues that are caused from the above two
    d) Optionally tweaking performance (like the UniKernel does)

It is my understanding that Engineering bootloaders simply don't have the code included in them that blows the e-fuse for KNOX. If it detects a "custom binary" (custom recovery, custom kernel), then it doesn't blow the fuse like it would normally. If SysScope scans the system and reports "Custom" in the About Device, then on the next boot, it won't blow the fuse like it would normally.

The fuse is blown on startup. If you start the stock bootloader on a device that has been previously flagged as having a Custom binary or Custom system, then it blows the fuse right then and there. That's why it would be important to flash your kernel/system/recovery all back to stock before booting a stock bootloader again.

Disclaimer: Important to note that I don't have any hands-on experience with Engineering bootloaders, simply because I couldn't give a rat's about KNOX. My carrier hasn't ever found it to be a problem before, and I don't ever need to use KNOX. The warranty is for KNOX itself (e.g. KNOX can't trust your device for certain security features anymore, because it has previously been compromised). Not a warranty for the rest of the device's functionality. Unfortunately for some, their carrier and/or Samsung reps will use this indicator as an excuse to not accept your device for warranty repair/exchange or for JUMP (and similar) programs.
    tmo S6 Edge

Is anyone with a Valid Copy of sboot.bin for the T-MO GS6 Edge willing to send a copy? I tied to google it and found no joy.

Thanks,

-NJ
    Here you go
    So in order to be on 5.1.1, with root, and fingerprint scanning working, what is needed to be done from a device on 5.0.2 with root? At this point, I'm also done with waiting on Samsung Pay to see if it requires Knox to not be tripped. Would I update my device with Odin to the large 5.1.1 update? Then what?

Assuming you have the G925T...
    Pretty much, yeah. You could:
    a) flash OCG to return-to-stock, and then take the OTA update, or
    b) find the OF6 Odin-to-stock package to update to 5.1.1

Then, I would use this thread to install a custom kernel, TWRP, and flash SuperSU. The alternative option is to use the UniKernel S6, but there's some risk of side-effects (because it is based on the firmware for other devices, and modified to work with ours). The UniKernel has performance tweaks and an "auto-root" built-in, whereas the other option is just a basic OF6 stock-replacement that allows root.

Thanks! I'm glad you're here to spread the joy of the jump program. What phone did you plan on upgrading to next?

Yeah, the JUMP discussion is technically off-topic, but I would say its still related somewhat. Considering this thread is all about not tripping Knox, the inevitable question is "Why should I care about tripping Knox?". Now, just to continue the downward spiral, (hehe), I'd say that I don't know if I'm going to JUMP to the next Galaxy S device. I'm really thinking of getting an x86_64 device - especially if they can ever get the SoFIA chips finished and incorporated into an Android device. I'd really like to dual-boot (or triple-boot) Android, Win10, and maybe Ubuntu. Attach MHL/HDMI and usb keyboard/mouse, and suddenly I have a pocket-sized desktop that I can "dock" in different places - all while running a real operating system with real programs.

The phone Freeze ... on logo "GALXY S6" with some green letters. when i flashed with official firmware the same stuck on logo..............
    WHEN I put official Flash shows me SYSTEM Status - CUSTOM .....

PLS HELP i cen go to recovery mode TWRP recovery but Touch is Mirror. when i touch left side the phone marks right side.
    Do you have some Ideas guys ?

OR IF SOMEBODY HAVE 4 Files FIrmware PLS I will pay ........

What device do you have? What firmware were you last on? These are important things to know before guiding you to the right place, or creating an Odin package for this.

Someone uploaded a 4-file package for the G925T OF6 here.
    Edit.....

I apologize i must have did something wrong both times, did it on 3rd one and knox didnt get tripped, i am sorry i opened my mouth, i did it wrong, apon redoing it i did it with out knox being tripped........thanks