Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,995 Members 47,476 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Custom ROMs & WiFi Calling

Tip us?

tycoonbob
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Custom ROMs & WiFi Calling

Hi everyone. I've had my HTC One M7 TMo since it launched last year, and am considering upgrading to the M8. One big thing for me is I need WiFi Calling when visiting family in a very rural area, which seems to limit my ROM choices. I've briefly read that people are converting their TMo M8 to GPE, which opens them up to more ROMs, yes? Is there anyone working on (or have already built) a WiFi Calling app/package that can work with third party ROMs that don't have it built it?

If not, I'll probably be making the switch to Verizon or ATT, as much as I really don't want to.

Any advice?
HTC One - Glacial Silver & Nexus 10

ahenderson223
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I would love to see a GPE rom with WiFi calling enabled but I think it requires sense in order to work so we would probably never see the 2 merged.

tycoonbob
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahenderson223 View Post
I would love to see a GPE rom with WiFi calling enabled but I think it requires sense in order to work so we would probably never see the 2 merged.
Pardon my ignorance, but why would Sense be required? Doesn't TMo have WiFi calling on all (or at least, most) of their phones? I.e., Samsung phones that don't have Sense, etc?

I'm running SkyDragon v16.1 on my current HTC One M7, which has WiFi Calling, but it also has Sense 5.5.

ahenderson223
Old
(Last edited by ahenderson223; 27th August 2014 at 12:50 PM.)
Thanks Meter 9
You are correct they do have it on other phones like Samsung and and LG phones. T-Mobile builds it into the current operating system and makes it dependent upon that system. T-Mobile has there version of the Nexus 5 that does not have WiFi calling in it. For as long as that feature has been out I have not seen it on any ROM that's a pure android experience. For as talented as the developers are here on XDA I have not seen them put that feature into a pure android ROM. I'm with you I would love to see this happen. What version of skydragon are you running the sense version or the GPE one?

tycoonbob
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
What version of skydragon are you running the sense version or the GPE one?
I'm running the Sense 5.5 version.

have been for almost a year now, and while it works great, I miss PA based ROMs (i.e., PAC-man). Sometimes I wish I never discovered WiFi Calling or switched to TMo, haha. I guess the devs with the knowledge of how to bundle WiFi Calling into a GPE rom are the same devs who live in an area of great coverage and never used, or need to use WiFi calling. As much as I like TMo, I'll probably be switch to Verizon for the better coverage in rural eastern KY.

Art2Fly
Old
Thanks Meter 382
Unfortunately no matter how fast a phone may be, you're limited to the network you bought it on. I also wish wifi calling was posted to AOSP, but alas it probably will never happen.

Funny thing even though I went over my data on T-Mobile, the limited speeds are still faster than what I would get on sprint 3g
The Following User Says Thank You to Art2Fly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

VolcanicSkunk
Old
Thanks Meter 232
Quote:
For as long as that feature has been out I have not seen it on any ROM that's a pure android experience.
This is not quite correct. Ever since the release of the 3.0+ version kernel WiFi calling has been built directly into the operating system. Prior to this it was apk based using Kinetogan.apk to run it. This was how it operated on my myTouch 4G when I ran AOSP on it.

When I was using my Galaxy S3 it was rumored to have been completed in another forum, but the method of implementation was never released.

I'm pretty sure there's still a humongous bounty out for that feature to be implemented.

tycoonbob
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
With the onset of the Xperia Z3 hopefully being announced next week, I believe I will hold out on TMo for the Z3, and live with a non-pure ROM so I can have my WiFi Calling. Sucks, but there are still great non-pure ROMs, and I'm sure there will be for the Z3 as well.