Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,128 Members 40,505 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

T-Mobile M8 noob questions

Tip us?

Sumanji
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
Cool T-Mobile M8 noob questions

Hey guys,

I'd like to pick up the M8 in store tomorrow and had some noob questions... possibly should have used the search button, but here goes
  • Is the T-Mobile model easily bootloader unlockable?
  • Is it straightforward to convert to GPE? I gather this requires S-Off - is this doable?
  • Does the phone come SIM-unlocked, so I can use it with local European SIM cards?
  • How bad is the T-Mobile bloat? Part of me wants to stick with the T-Mobile ROM for wi-fi calling.
  • Is anyone using this phone with Xposed & Gravitybox? Interested to hear your experience

Thanks!

Su
Motorola RAZR HD XT925 (Canada) ~ CM11 M8 ~ TWRP 2.7.0.0 (DHacker build) ~ ART ~ Moto 3.0 Kernel
Google Nexus S i9020 (World) ~ CM11 M8 ~ CWM 6.0.4.8 ~ ART ~ Guru Kernel 0.9.4
LG G Pad 8.3 V500 (USA) ~ Stock Android 4.4.2 ~ Stock Recovery ~ ART

arquimedesnew
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default RE:

Hello, I'm not an expert but I have the T-Mobile HTC one M8 and I can answer some of the questions
    Yes, you go to the HTC dev page and you can request the bin file to unlock it, just search tutorial videos in Youtube.

[*]Is it straightforward to convert to GPE? I gather this requires S-Off - is this doable?
    It requires S-Off, and I ended up paying the 25 dollars for the app to get it S-Off and it worked, now I have gone back from GPE to Sense two times as I keeps missing things from one an another, in GPE I miss some of the features of Sense and In Sense I miss all the battery savings that I can achieve having a rooted GPE...
  • Does the phone come SIM-unlocked, so I can use it with local European SIM cards?
    I comes SIM-Locked, but I if you have been with t-mobile for a while (a couple of months) and you already paid off the device you can just go to the support page and do a live chat to request the SIM unlock, they send me my code the same day but it can take up to two days to get it and it and they don't ask questions or charge you for that, you can unlock up to two devices per year, per line using your account.
  • How bad is the T-Mobile bloat? Part of me wants to stick with the T-Mobile ROM for wi-fi calling.
    there are about three apps and you can disable them (which I did)
  • Is anyone using this phone with Xposed & Gravitybox? Interested to hear your experience
    I did not used them.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumanji View Post
Hello, I'm not an expert but I have the T-Mobile HTC one M8 and I can answer some of the questions
    Yes, you go to the HTC dev page and you can request the bin file to unlock it, just search tutorial videos in Youtube.

[*]Is it straightforward to convert to GPE? I gather this requires S-Off - is this doable?
    It requires S-Off, and I ended up paying the 25 dollars for the app to get it S-Off and it worked, now I have gone back from GPE to Sense two times as I keeps missing things from one an another, in GPE I miss some of the features of Sense and In Sense I miss all the battery savings that I can achieve having a rooted GPE...
    I comes SIM-Locked, but I if you have been with t-mobile for a while (a couple of months) and you already paid off the device you can just go to the support page and do a live chat to request the SIM unlock, they send me my code the same day but it can take up to two days to get it and it and they don't ask questions or charge you for that, you can unlock up to two devices per year, per line using your account.
    there are about three apps and you can disable them (which I did)
    I did not used them.

Thanks!

Su
The Following User Says Thank You to arquimedesnew For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sumanji
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
Cool thanks man!

I'm trying to decide between T-Mobile version or the Developer Edition - I will be paying up front, so want to make sure I get the most suitable version of the phone!

Cheers,

Su
Motorola RAZR HD XT925 (Canada) ~ CM11 M8 ~ TWRP 2.7.0.0 (DHacker build) ~ ART ~ Moto 3.0 Kernel
Google Nexus S i9020 (World) ~ CM11 M8 ~ CWM 6.0.4.8 ~ ART ~ Guru Kernel 0.9.4
LG G Pad 8.3 V500 (USA) ~ Stock Android 4.4.2 ~ Stock Recovery ~ ART