Love my G3, hate T-Mobile

Search This thread

dialanothernumb

Jun 30, 2004
Kind of why tmo offers free WiFi calling. Nobody can 100% guarantee coverage everywhere. If you're so upset then switch. But don't act like tmo is horrendous when you have other means to substitute a signal

And for anybody who wants to ***** about relying on free WiFi to call....boo ****ing hoo. Be thankful tmo offers it for free. Otherwise you're paying for a sip or VoIP and then paying for a program to integrate it Into another number.

Want your signals that bad, switch to ye olde clam phones. Those things last forever on a single charge and get service everywhere. Or better yet go get any prepaid plan, they usually get WAY better coverage than a monthly plan
Did you really mean to say "Be thankful tmo offers [wifi calling] for free"? That's a bit odd to say, given that it is already part of the paid service... that's an interesting view of the economics of the free market. :)

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

so here we are 10 weeks later.

I have gone up and down the food chain of T-mobile like I said, to the point where I sent emails to the 4 top corporate officers listing all the issues we have had with TMO as well as the continuous poor signal coverage where my wife works in springfield. I got contacted within 2 days by an assistant to the VP of T-mobile customer service division and for the upteenth time had to repeat our plight and for the upteenth time I was told they will have engineering look into it.....which DOES NOT MEAN THEY ACTUALLY go the area and check and verify signal levels we are complaining about. Oh no, that takes an of god to accomplish.........Meanwhile a voice mail was left on my wife's phone by a TMO engineer of probably asian decent that his english was so bad, it can not be understood at all. Would have been better had he left the message in Mandarin as I do have a couple friends that can speak it. We can't figure out what he said, or his name, or his phone number. Been hoping to hear back to see wtf he was saying. A real 3 ring circus!!!

I have installed a couple signal measuring apps to map areas vs signal levels (I found the best app is Advance signal status). Where my wife sits at the exterior wall in front of a window on the second floor she has absolutely ZERO LTE signal and the GSM signal is just nearly traceable. Again, TMO coverage map indicates excellent to very good LTE signal where she is located and she can't even make a phone call!!

This monday I got an aTT phone (too bad they don't have a test drive program like TMO which is a feather in TMO's hat BTW) and we have been using that and my wife has taken it to work every day and she sees excellent signal and has no issues with calls or data or anything else anywhere in her building or on the commute between Decatur and Springfield. Looks like we will be moving off TMO to ATT as we will not go back to Verizon.

And, as it stands now, I am waiting on a return call from the assistant to the VP on this coming Tuesday so I can chew his ass and tell him how TMO was a major disappointment in coverage and service and failed us in the end.
\

I don't think the customer service, the delivery vs expectations or the engineering skills of each of the network giants varies in the way we somehow expect it to after listening to their advertising. They all have the same dilemma of deciding which customers are worth acquiring and keeping. You may have some satisfaction from chewing out the TMO person when s/he phones, especially given how much you've been dicked about but I doubt it'll make a huge difference... you could just as easily be in a different location having exactly the same conversation with an ATT engineer.
If ATT coverage works well for you, why don't you look at Cricket or Straight talk, see if their plans vs $$ suit you better than ATT? Customer service is a bit of a lottery with MVNOs but 99% of the time you don't need customer service so why pay extra for it? Coverage is generally the key issue if you have your own devices.

Naturesretard

Nov 4, 2011
Chino
Did you really mean to say "Be thankful tmo offers [wifi calling] for free"? That's a bit odd to say, given that it is already part of the paid service... that's an interesting view of the economics of the free market. :)

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

\

I don't think the customer service, the delivery vs expectations or the engineering skills of each of the network giants varies in the way we somehow expect it to after listening to their advertising. They all have the same dilemma of deciding which customers are worth acquiring and keeping. You may have some satisfaction from chewing out the TMO person when s/he phones, especially given how much you've been dicked about but I doubt it'll make a huge difference... you could just as easily be in a different location having exactly the same conversation with an ATT engineer.
If ATT coverage works well for you, why don't you look at Cricket or Straight talk, see if their plans vs $$ suit you better than ATT? Customer service is a bit of a lottery with MVNOs but 99% of the time you don't need customer service so why pay extra for it? Coverage is generally the key issue if you have your own devices.

Like I said, have fun finding another carrier that allows you to use any WiFi spot as a cell tower and NOT have to pay any additional fees to third parties. Because I used to be in that boat, and it was a huge pain on the ass. It worked only half the time, was beyond buggy, and had no official support. So yes, it is free because if tmo wanted to they could charge any kind of fee they wanted to use this service

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
So we are now on att with both of our tmo phones...my g3 and my wife's s4....world of difference with reception and I have full 4g LTE....my wife just kicking with 4g which is way better than zero with tmo. Since my phone is still a tmo g3 I'll be staying in this forum.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

bryce850

Mar 17, 2011
Tallahassee
OnePlus 8 Pro
I could never switch being we use 150gb plus a month lol

But I am also in a city blanked with LTE the only place I don't is my house but that's why WiFi is for.

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Free mobile app

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
Just switched to cricket 20gigs for $60 a month idk for how long but when the promotion ends ill have 10gigs for $60 month full lte and mms on my unlocked tmobile g3

Is that a "unlimited" 10gb throttled after 10gb or will you loose all data until the next month once you hit 10gb? Personally I am extremely happy with my truly unlimited plan through T-Mobile. My wife tends to use 30gb+ a month. Not a bad deal through cricket, but maybe its because I am in the top tier for credit check my bill should be right around there after my phone is paid off.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Personaly, I love T-mo. I switched from Verizon and am saving a boat load. I think it's absolutely wonderful how they've effectively turned every WiFi hotspot into a cell tower. In Charlotte nc, I've run into some areas where i rome but it's usually in a big building and there's always some WiFi. Their CEO has a great mindset imo and their customer service is always responsive as nice to me.
    I'll be switching to ATT service myself soon. Since T-Mobile wont' stand behind their products with my cracked phone they sold me. LG wants me to hold my phone hostage and then decide if it's actually a problem. Also annoyed by the fact that if you don't have LTE or HSPA service with TMUS, you basically have a dumb phone. And honestly, texts don't even function half the time outisde of their 3G/LTE areas.
    So what are my choices for other carriers? I know verizon has different radio bands... Is ATT a possibility? I'm reaching the end of my patience with TMO.

So what exactly is your problem with tmobile, you never stated.

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Free mobile app
    No, LTE service on the D851 ONLY works with T-Mobile, but you will get the other bands ("4G"/3G/2G) with AT&T.
    This is both correct and incorrect. You'll get a few of the LTE bands from ATT(2 and 4 to be exact). I can confirm that that's true. The most obvious indicator is that the symbols on my phone change from 4g to 4gLTE depending on if I'm covered. I can also run speed tests and see a difference. 4g I get 1-2mbps and LTE I get 7-9mbps. Not perfect but I'm not using my phone for any heavy data usage either. As long as I can browse reddit and stuff from my phone I'm good.

As for "just sticking with a carrier"... Um... NO. Absolutely not. If you're not able to make phone calls or are dependent upon finding free wifi to make a call then I don't think it's worth the money. I don't know what that guys talking about but he's obviously missed the point of this discussion.

Look into Straight Talk, Net10, or Cricket. All work on the ATT network and all will give you just as good of a price as TMO. Cricket offers 10gb of data for 55$ a month. Net10 does something similar I believe. I went with ST just because of the convenience. ST and Net10 are both owned by Tracfone so regardless of who you use it's going to be the same thing. Cricket is actually an ATT owned company. There is some literature floating around the web saying that Tracfone phones will allow you to roam on other carriers services but I'm not sure how true that is or if that even matters anymore.
    Every carrier misrepresents their coverage maps. Every carrier.

my move from verizon to T-Mobile was predicated on a coverage map that is a fabrication.