Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

T-Mobile Smartphones have the best battery life?

OP Semantics

6th August 2014, 08:32 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 526

1,443 posts
More
I found this article interesting, I have had T-Mobile for 2 years, so I've chalked the superior battery life I've gotten on the new technology, but any recent customers have experience with this?

http://www.greenbot.com/article/2461...-carriers.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th August 2014, 09:01 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 514

1,535 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics

I found this article interesting, I have had T-Mobile for 2 years, so I've chalked the superior battery life I've gotten on the new technology, but any recent customers have experience with this?

http://www.greenbot.com/article/2461...-carriers.html

My experience is anecdotal of course, but in many years with TMO, I've noticed I've had better battery durations consistently among my peers (same phone) at other carriers, and when discussed, we assumed two factors: 1) TMO coverage has been comparatively sparse, especially indoors, 2) When signal strength is good, it's a more stable 'fix' than other carriers, or the frequencies are simply more energy efficient, combined with tower spread. Sparse coverage means a drop in service level (ie. from 3G->2G) that results in less energy to maintain a connection. TMO focused their fastest service in dense urban areas, and oriented their towers a bit closer together compared to competitors, and here in Cali, also 'borrowed' cell towers in agreements with AT&T in the G, EDGE, 2G, 3G days. The result was that outdoors in urban/suburban areas, one got good to great, stable reception, with little searching to maintain connection. When one went indoors or signal otherwise degraded, a drop in service level was rather immediate, again resulting in less energy consumed maintaining a useable but slower connection. Even TMO's H+/3.5G/'fake 4G' was more efficient than their competitors '4G'. Now, I believe the 10x10 and 20x20 LTE in use is perhaps continuing the TMO lower energy tradition, as they still have denser coverage in populated areas, and expanding in traveling corridors (freeways connection major cities), where their competitors have been for some time. Sprint was all about broadest coverage, ATT was all about fastest service, VZN (in Cali) focused on selling hardware and heavy advertising, but was largely shunned by business, made up by volume and prepaid service. TMO approached their growth differently, and at a disadvantage in spectrum, but trudged through based on value and service, to where it is now. So this article bolsters my perception of how it has gone down.
The Following User Says Thank You to wideasleep1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread