How to flash stock ROM from TWRP using Linux (not Windows)

Search This thread

MountainX

I have a rooted LG G3 D851 10C on TMO. It has TWRP installed. (I think TWRP is version 2.7 but it might be later.)

The phone will only boot into TWRP (or download mode). It will not boot into the system (because I wiped everything).

I want to restore a stock system image. I'm returning the phone to TMO under warranty.

I don't have a Windows PC. I have Linux and I have adb installed. I would appreciate some instructions as well as suggestions on which stock image to download.

Is it possible to use TWRP to "adb side load" the images or zip files I'll need to install?

mickeyasamoah

Jan 11, 2013
Accra
If u have a backup of your stock rom, you could copy it onto an sdcard and insert it into the device. From there, you can restore it.
Else i guess you would have to reflash the stock firmware. (i havent read much about how to get that done. I just got my G3 yesterday. But i am pretty sure u will need a tool like LG Flash tool or similar.)

MountainX

If u have a backup of your stock rom, you could copy it onto an sdcard and insert it into the device. From there, you can restore it.

I was hoping that would work, but TWRP told me the metadata was missing.

Else i guess you would have to reflash the stock firmware. (i havent read much about how to get that done. I just got my G3 yesterday. But i am pretty sure u will need a tool like LG Flash tool or similar.)

I ended up using LG Flash in the end, but I was hoping there was a way to do it without needing a WIndows PC.

mickeyasamoah

Jan 11, 2013
Accra
I ended up using LG Flash in the end, but I was hoping there was a way to do it without needing a WIndows PC.

Well, i dont think there is a Linux or Mac version of LG Flash tool. But, you could always use virtual box on whatever OS you have and install a windows guest and also install Guest additions to enable the USB ports. I have used this to recover deleted files from a blackberry. And i use Ubuntu. Only problem is the Speed. It wont be as fast as it would be if u were running Windows as a host.
All the best.