[Q] Can't get international data roaming to work

OP jrglasson

22nd July 2014, 01:06 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Hillsborough, CA
Thanks Meter: 1

21 posts
More
I just got my G3 and left the country. Voice and SMS work fine, but I can't get a data connetion while out of the country. It didn't work in either the UK or India.

I'm guessing there's some sort of APN issue and I have a call into TMO tech support. The original call was to do #RON#, but that didn't help.

When I swap my SIM to my trusty Nexus 5, data works, so it's something device specific.

I've read about needing to force IPv4 when roaming and I tried creating a new APN with only that changed. One thing I noticed that's different between my N5 and G3 is there is no APN setting for Roaming Protocol.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
22nd July 2014, 02:04 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 6

82 posts
More
did you enable roaming in the settings?
22nd July 2014, 02:09 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Hillsborough, CA

21 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosconf

did you enable roaming in the settings?

Yes. One interesting thing is that the data roaming setting seems to reset on every reboot.
22nd July 2014, 08:46 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 5

18 posts
I have the exact same problem. Lg g3 t mobile, been to Germany twice in last two weeks and no data. All settings on phone are correct. After many phone calls with tech support, found someone who said they seem to have growing pains with new devices and the more they get feedback and realize there is a phone specific problem they can go to lg . Very frustrating but hopefully gets ironed out soon. I also came from a nexus 5.
22nd July 2014, 09:44 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Hillsborough, CA

21 posts
More
That's not too encouraging. I was hoping that I'd have data sometime on this trip so I can actually use my new phone! Since it's new and still in my return window, I'd like a solution before I go home to decide if I should return the phone. I travel internationally a lot and it's one of the reasons I shifted to T-mobile from AT&T.

Tech support has told me they will have some sort of reply within 72 hours so hopefully I'll head something by end of day Wednesday.
22nd July 2014, 12:00 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 5

18 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrglasson

That's not too encouraging. I was hoping that I'd have data sometime on this trip so I can actually use my new phone! Since it's new and still in my return window, I'd like a solution before I go home to decide if I should return the phone. I travel internationally a lot and it's one of the reasons I shifted to T-mobile from AT&T.

Tech support has told me they will have some sort of reply within 72 hours so hopefully I'll head something by end of day Wednesday.

I agree totally !!! Unfortunately we are early adopters of this phone. Tech support told me flat out that it will not be fixed for me while on my trip. I travel internationally for work and not being able to use data for google navigation and train schedule apps has been very upsetting. I will post something here as soon as they get back to me as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to pitchristian For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd July 2014, 07:11 PM   |  #7  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 245

812 posts
More
I've been trying to troubleshoot the tethering and found some interesting things. Looks like in an effort to avoid people enabling tethering without using the pcweb apn, they have broken the international roaming.

I think the problem is that you cannot use an ipv4 only APN. I added a new APN which was an exact copy of the built in one (which you cannot edit) and if I change it to ipv4 only, I get no data (in the US). Data only works when setting it to ipv6 or ipv4/ipv6. I haven't tried to debug this, but I think this could be the problem since when roaming internationally I doubt ipv6 is supported.

I also travel often to Mexico, so this is a big drawback.
23rd July 2014, 05:54 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Phone Same issue in Canada
I just spent about an hour on the phone with Tech Support. Very friendly, but alas, I have the same issue. A ticket was entered, and she said she would get back to me today. If the LG G3 can't go International, my local T-Mobile store is about to get my returned handset. I'll try something else, I suppose. Glad I found this out within the first week of having it, what with the 10 day return policy.

Of note, the tech support person mentioned to me that I had to create an IPv4 APN (otherwise identical to the existing fast.t-mobile.com APN, which is IPv6).

I also tried selecting IPv4/IPv6, but that didn't work either. Neither GSM nor WCDMA works.

My co-worker here is happily connected on his Samsung Note 3. Frustrating to have a newer phone with a better processor, just to have my boasting neutralized by no roaming.

If I get a resolution, other than returning home or getting a new phone, I'll post it.
23rd July 2014, 05:56 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 87

468 posts
More
I really hope this isn't the case. I'm deployed overseas right now and get service just fine on my N5. If I can't get data with my G3 when it gets here in a few days, I'm going to be pissed.
23rd July 2014, 06:03 PM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member
Flag Hillsborough, CA

21 posts
More
Thanks for all the ideas. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in this.

I still haven't heard back from T-mobile and it's at 72 hourse since I reported the issue. I'm on another flight tomorrow to the UK, so if I don't hear anything by the time I land, I'm going to give them another call.

If they can't get this to work or at least give me a timeline for resolution, I think I'm returning the phone and will wait for the N6 (if one exists). Hopefully I can get them to waive the $50 restocking on return since I'm returning it for not working reasons.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread