Thumbs up [Q] DPI Scaling and Stock Apps

OP Nosferatu.

24th July 2014, 02:40 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tampa, Florida
Thanks Meter: 303

1,126 posts
More
As title states, it seems the stock apps are a little pain in the (you know what) to prevent the phone from doing what I want.

There's no custom ROMs yet so I'm more-or-less just playing with the stock ROM to get things working.

It seems like I can't get the DPI to go beyond 530 without annoying the stock apps. Stock is 640 DPI. DPI scaling makes full use of the stupid high resolution of the screen. I couldn't stand out of the box two notifications and bam you're scrolling in the notification tab. Add a few icon notifications and the whole bar is taken up. Silly for such a high resolution phone.

Bunch of Xposed tweaks later and bam. It works like a charm (including play store). Go below 530 DPI and the stock apps crash (see photos). Anyways smarter than me to figure this one out?

Photos tell a lot. It's night and day difference and now an awesome phone.

STOCK BIG FONT (removed some of the bloat)

THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD LOOK STOCK (DPI in the 400s)

THEN BAM!!!

EDIT: GOT IT. 530DPI is the limit. Now if someone smarter than me can figure out how to get the apps to play nicely I'm down. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it as is.

Left: 530DPI / Right: 640DPI (stock)
Last edited by Nosferatu.; 24th July 2014 at 02:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nosferatu. For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th July 2014, 03:51 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 397

1,840 posts
More
480 dpi amd 1080p

Sent from my SGH-T889 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Last edited by AngryDinosaur; 24th July 2014 at 03:55 PM.
24th July 2014, 04:29 PM   |  #3  
Flag South Miami, FL
Thanks Meter: 2,668

3,571 posts
install apps setting from xposed

Sent from Mars
24th July 2014, 05:04 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tampa, Florida

1,126 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello00

install apps setting from xposed

Sent from Mars

I did. Wasn't playing nice. Which apps would I have to set? (Phone, messaging etc.??) What settings do you throw those at?
24th July 2014, 05:10 PM   |  #5  
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 194

828 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu.

I did. Wasn't playing nice. Which apps would I have to set? (Phone, messaging etc.??) What settings do you throw those at?

What I did was do system wide 530, then set LG Home to 640 (anything lower looks wonky). As far as I can tell, everything works at 530. If you want other apps at a lower DPI, if I were you, I'd just change their settings on an app by app basis through App Settings.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
24th July 2014, 05:27 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tampa, Florida

1,126 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by partylikeaninjastar

What I did was do system wide 530, then set LG Home to 640 (anything lower looks wonky). As far as I can tell, everything works at 530. If you want other apps at a lower DPI, if I were you, I'd just change their settings on an app by app basis through App Settings.

Awesome thanks.
24th July 2014, 11:16 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 12

38 posts
More
Thumbs up
I've done pretty much the same thing as you guys, rooted and used Texdroider to change system-wide DPI to 530. It looks perfect, all stock LG apps work fine, nothing out of place except for that stock Smart Alert / Weather widget, which is fine with me since I use the weather-only widget anyways.

Stock LG launcher with Xposed, and I didn't have to use App Settings to change the launcher to 640, it doesn't need it. I simply used G3 TweaksBox to change the home page layout grid to 5x6 to make it match the looks of the stock 5x5, and the app drawer to 5x6 to take advantage of the extra screen real estate. With just a few tweaks, I have my phone now looking almost identical to my old G2 that was running the same stuff.

One other thing I did is edit the build.prop settings just as mentioned here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/veri...tview-t2825776

This lets every app work in Multi Window mode, which is the way it should be. After doing this, I used App Settings to force rotation on the normally-landscape Slingplayer. Now I can have Slingplayer on the top third of the screen in portrait mode while using Chrome on the bottom two-thirds. Perfect!

No crashes or issues with anything so far...
24th July 2014, 11:49 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 115

1,461 posts
More
For those of you that changed your DPIs, are you having any problems with the Play Store? Normally, when I edit my DPI, I also install the multi-DPI play store; however, with this device I get gapps FC's by doing that. Just wondering if the stock Play Store starts limiting apps with the DPI change.
25th July 2014, 12:49 AM   |  #9  
Flag Rockford
Thanks Meter: 19

394 posts
More
I have a quick circle case...and I like 530 dpi...but it jacks up the quick circle...I don't know what app to put back to 640 with xposed and "app settings" anybody know?

Sent from my T-Mobile G3!

Previous Smart Phones: SDA/Juno/G1/HTC HD2/Vibrant/SGS2/SGS3/Nexus4/Nexus5
25th July 2014, 12:58 AM   |  #10  
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 194

828 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pychobj2001

I have a quick circle case...and I like 530 dpi...but it jacks up the quick circle...I don't know what app to put back to 640 with xposed and "app settings" anybody know?

Sent from my T-Mobile G3!

Previous Smart Phones: SDA/Juno/G1/HTC HD2/Vibrant/SGS2/SGS3/Nexus4/Nexus5

My guess is SystemUI

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread