Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,957 Members 54,423 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Flashing different carrier's roms

Tip us?

cuongfucius
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Flashing different carrier's roms

Hey guys, since T-Mobile has unlocked bootloader, are you guys able to flash other carriers roms like at&t?

I'm only asking because im on an AT&T model, but eventually want to flash T-Mobile roms once our bootloader is unlocked for wifi calling.

TheJesus
Old
Thanks Meter 86

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuongfucius View Post
Hey guys, since T-Mobile has unlocked bootloader, are you guys able to flash other carriers roms like at&t?

I'm only asking because im on an AT&T model, but eventually want to flash T-Mobile roms once our bootloader is unlocked for wifi calling.
It would require some tweaking, but in the base idea, yes, they're all the same (with different radios and likely different kernels). You'll want to just wait a little bit and have devs port to the other models. However, your goal of getting wifi calling likely won't work. Maybe I've been out of the loop, but last I checked the app registers your phone number with the T-Mobile network so it knows where to forward calls/texts to. So it more than likely won't work for AT&T/Verizon. I believe Sprint has it now, but same method.
Phones: Nokia N900, T-Mobile G2, T-Mobile G2x, Sprint S3, T-Mobile S4, T-Mobile LG G3 (current)
Tablets: G Tab, Nook Color, Asus Transformer, T-Mobile LG G-Slate, Samsung Tab 10.1 2013 (current)
Computers: Asus G75VW, Samsung Chromebook, Lenovo Yoga 13.3, MacBook Pro 13" Late 2013 (Win 8.1, current)

I handled Developer Relations with Nvidia, the TegraTabDev Twitter G Tab updates, and the G Tab Reference Thread a long, long time ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheJesus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cuongfucius
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJesus View Post
It would require some tweaking, but in the base idea, yes, they're all the same (with different radios and likely different kernels). You'll want to just wait a little bit and have devs port to the other models. However, your goal of getting wifi calling likely won't work. Maybe I've been out of the loop, but last I checked the app registers your phone number with the T-Mobile network so it knows where to forward calls/texts to. So it more than likely won't work for AT&T/Verizon. I believe Sprint has it now, but same method.
hi sorry, i left out a big important detail. I'm on t-mobile lol. so it would work for me. This is my first lg phone, and i've been on many other phones where we can easily cross flash carriers without the need of porting the roms. I was under the impression that the at&t model was slightly different? i should revisit that again just to be sure.

I was hoping if there was any hard evidence or experience that someone did flash an at&t rom without any hiccups. That'll mean we can do it vice versa.

Thanks for the info.

qbanlinxx
Old
Thanks Meter 190
On other phones this has been possible, I would wait for a definite answer, or make sure you have a backup ready just in case you do try it...