Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,687 Members 40,300 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WiFi Tether Router W/ Root is not working.

Tip us?

JustLok
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideasleep1 View Post
Just to clarify...'No firmware reload' should be checked or unchecked? Cheers!
It would be unchecked, as listed in my post above in regards to the settings and tweaks to get it to work with D851 G3.

Also, been using it for days now and it does mask the tether use as mobile data and NOT as Hotspot data, as orbitalcomp confirmed, even using the internal DHCP server (which I was wondering if it would with the IP Table masking).

As for Tasker integration, I'm not sure what you mean havanahjoe with Tasker, as in the normal App Tasker or an app titled tasker?

I also noticed that my data connection just dies every so often, both on my G3 and my wife's G3. It show a connection with LTE and the data arrow up lit, but no data is moving. Even confirmed with the Internet Speed Meter Lite app that no data was being sent or received. I have to enable Airplane mode and then back off and the data connections becomes live again. I've read several reports of this on XDA too on Tmo G3's. This is either with the tether app or not, Tmo's data connection just stops working and needs to disconnect and reconnect to the tower/antenna to work again.

Finally, when using the widget for this tether app, when first tapping it (after a reboot or so), it does not enable it. You have to wait a little and then tap it again for it to enable. Once you get it to enable and become active, turning it on or off via the widget works on the first tap. It's just the first initial widget use upon a reboot that it takes two taps, about 5 secs apart to actually start up.
The Following User Says Thank You to JustLok For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wideasleep1
Old
Thanks Meter 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLok View Post
It would be unchecked, as listed in my post above in regards to the settings and tweaks to get it to work with D851 G3.

Also, been using it for days now and it does mask the tether use as mobile data and NOT as Hotspot data, as orbitalcomp confirmed, even using the internal DHCP server (which I was wondering if it would with the IP Table masking).

As for Tasker integration, I'm not sure what you mean havanahjoe with Tasker, as in the normal App Tasker or an app titled tasker?

I also noticed that my data connection just dies every so often, both on my G3 and my wife's G3. It show a connection with LTE and the data arrow up lit, but no data is moving. Even confirmed with the Internet Speed Meter Lite app that no data was being sent or received. I have to enable Airplane mode and then back off and the data connections becomes live again. I've read several reports of this on XDA too on Tmo G3's. This is either with the tether app or not, Tmo's data connection just stops working and needs to disconnect and reconnect to the tower/antenna to work again.

Finally, when using the widget for this tether app, when first tapping it (after a reboot or so), it does not enable it. You have to wait a little and then tap it again for it to enable. Once you get it to enable and become active, turning it on or off via the widget works on the first tap. It's just the first initial widget use upon a reboot that it takes two taps, about 5 secs apart to actually start up.
Thanks for the update and confirmation of mobile vs. Hotspot..which meets my own experience. FWIW, your settings quote from Fabio simply says "No Firmware Reload" and doesn't state checked or unchecked...which is why I asked. At least I can't see it on Tapatalk. [emoji4]

Sent from my amazing LGG3!
B/W Sidekick/Color Sidekick2/TMO MDA/TMO Dash/G1/Nexus 1/Sensation/SGS3/Nexus 4/Nexus 5/LG G3
Rockin Android before it was Cool!

havanahjoe
Old
Thanks Meter 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLok View Post

The hiding of the traffic is all about the APN. WiFi Tether Router uses the phone APN (fast.t-mobile.com) and the built-in hotspot uses pcweb.tmobile.com. That's why it's so easy to bypass, as long as WiFi Tether Router can do its thing by doing some iptables, dnsmasq and other Linux magic.

I have seen my LTE connection stop working from time to time. Not while tethering, but I rarely tether for more than 30 minutes at a time. Whenever I lose data, I just do the same, airplane mode on/off and it's back.

Tasker is an automation app. It's great for getting things done automatically. I use tethering in the car so that my dash mounted Nexus 7 can get internet. With Tasker, my hotspot is automatically turned on when I get in the car, and automatically turned off when I turn the car off. There is a method for applications to talk to each other in Android, these messages are called intents. With intents you can tell an app to shut down, to load a specific playlist (Spotify for example), or to enable/disable something. When using the stock Tether app, the system lets you toggle it with intents that Tasker already knows about. WiFi Tether Router has no intents, so there is no way to externally tell it to turn the hotspot on or off. The workaround is to emulate touching the enable/disable button (on the app or the widget). It's kludgy, but it works. It would be much cleaner and reliable if the dev enabled this functionality.

I tried the setting you suggested on the other thread, and by using Internal DHCP and not having WiFi Tether Router use DNSMasq to provide DHCP and DNS services, my battery drain is much more acceptable. I only lost 3% on my drive to work. I usually would lose 10% or more! This setting might be needed for other carriers where you do need to hide your data, but we don't have to worry about this with T-Mo.

JustLok
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by havanahjoe View Post
Tasker is an automation app. It's great for getting things done automatically. I use tethering in the car so that my dash mounted Nexus 7 can get internet. With Tasker, my hotspot is automatically turned on when I get in the car, and automatically turned off when I turn the car off. There is a method for applications to talk to each other in Android, these messages are called intents. With intents you can tell an app to shut down, to load a specific playlist (Spotify for example), or to enable/disable something. When using the stock Tether app, the system lets you toggle it with intents that Tasker already knows about. WiFi Tether Router has no intents, so there is no way to externally tell it to turn the hotspot on or off. The workaround is to emulate touching the enable/disable button (on the app or the widget). It's kludgy, but it works. It would be much cleaner and reliable if the dev enabled this functionality.

I tried the setting you suggested on the other thread, and by using Internal DHCP and not having WiFi Tether Router use DNSMasq to provide DHCP and DNS services, my battery drain is much more acceptable. I only lost 3% on my drive to work. I usually would lose 10% or more! This setting might be needed for other carriers where you do need to hide your data, but we don't have to worry about this with T-Mo.
Thanks for that explanation on Tasker, when I mentioned it to my wife last night, she said she was already using it on her old HTC One M7, so much for me being ahead of the curve. Or on the curve even, I guess.

I have noticed when using the Wifi Tether App, sometimes my laptop won't or can't connect to the hotspot after a while using it. I use it for extended periods of time at work, hours on end even, and my laptop will just disconnect from my SSID and won't connect, despite it being live. The SSID is seen and the laptop tries to connect but then just says it cannot do so.

I need to reboot my laptop for it to connect to it again. I'm not sure if it's the IP lease on my laptop expired or wasn't renewed with the tether app. Unfortunately, I cannot perform an IP renew or release in CMD on my laptop, because it's disconnected and needs a connection to do it! So I can't narrow the error to that function or not.

When I use the native Hotspot with TMo, I didn't have this problem last week when I was using it for three days before getting the Tether app.

Just some experience with it so far, in case anyone else was seeing the same or so.