FORUMS

Index Project For XDA Device Subforums

Another ambitious project from the collaborative efforts of Recognized Contributors and Forum … more

The Atlas of XDA

A few weeks ago, we asked you “How Does Your Location Affect Your Life As A Power User?”. In the days that … more

New Snapdragons: Some Context & Contrast

It hasn’t been a good year for Qualcomm so far. Every device featuring the Snapdragon 810 … more

Google To Launch Next Gen Android One On July 14

The first gen of Android One devices to be launched in India in September 2014 were … more

Google Dialer

862 posts
Thanks Meter: 255

By havanahjoe, Senior Member on 23rd July 2014, 01:13 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
If you want to have the Google Dialer on your G3, you can easily do it once you are rooted.

WARNING: Make a nandroid backup in TWRP before you start modifying your /system partition. If you screw anything up, you can go back to a known good state.

Get the latest 1.1 Google Dialer APK from here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/06...-apk-download/

Follow the instructions over on Android Police, but make sure you remount the system partition as read-write before trying to copy the file into /system/priv-app: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/12...-what-can-i-do

Here's the short version:

Remount your /system partition read-write
Code:
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system /system
Copy the apk to /system/priv-app
chmod 644
reboot

In order to launch the dialer, you need to create a shortcut. I have Nova, so it's pretty easy to do there. Create new shortcut, activities, Google Dialer, and pick the first Phone entry (check out the link above for screen shots on how to do this).

You will be able to use the Dialer to make calls (look up businesses or use your contacts), but once you select a number to dial, it will use the stock dialer. Incoming calls will also be handled by the stock dialer, so we lose on the ability to use Google's Caller ID for now.
Last edited by havanahjoe; 23rd July 2014 at 01:17 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to havanahjoe For This Useful Post: [ View ]

30th July 2014, 08:25 PM |#2  
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Sweet! Thanks. I am using the stock launcher and it created the stock icon for me.
30th July 2014, 08:37 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 255

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.T

Sweet! Thanks. I am using the stock launcher and it created the stock icon for me.

Nice! I stopped using the Google dialer as my main dialer because I ran into some odd issues, like the keypad disappearing. I still have it installed to see missed calls and find out who the caller was if they're not on my address book. It's also great for finding places to call.
30th July 2014, 08:39 PM |#4  
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by havanahjoe

Nice! I stopped using the Google dialer as my main dialer because I ran into some odd issues, like the keypad disappearing. I still have it installed to see missed calls and find out who the caller was if they're not on my address book. It's also great for finding places to call.

It's been solid for me for the first hour, I will keep an eye out for those issues though, thanks for the heads up.
8th October 2014, 08:00 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank you for this,

I did it and worked!!!! I don't have nova so I used an app called quick shortcut maker (free).
11th November 2014, 05:27 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I installed google dialer with the apk but it force closes before it opens .. How do you change permissions on your systen ? I did it for tge file but still isnt working
26th March 2015, 12:31 AM |#7  
Flag Winter Garden, Fl
Thanks Meter: 92

More
Can get this to run in stock lollipop... Anyone have any luck?
31st March 2015, 09:06 PM |#8  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 5

More
no luck in lollipop
2nd April 2015, 12:24 AM |#9  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasidhar79

no luck in lollipop