Casual games still profitable?

Search This thread

Johannes Goß

Sep 15, 2014
Hi,

recently, after Flappy Bird was put off Google Play Store, there were a LOT of Flappy Bird clones published to Play Store. I'm wondering if these kind of easy casual games are still profitable, considering the amount of time it takes to create them and the money you gain from banners/interstitial ads. I guess most of the games just don't get enough attention because of the enormous mass of casual games nowadays.

Are there any developers out there who can make a living out of creating casual games? Or do bigger projects equal bigger money? Need to hear some experiences about that, still not sure which dimensions to choose for the my next couple of games.

Im Saint

Nov 25, 2014
Hartford
Hi,

recently, after Flappy Bird was put off Google Play Store, there were a LOT of Flappy Bird clones published to Play Store. I'm wondering if these kind of easy casual games are still profitable, considering the amount of time it takes to create them and the money you gain from banners/interstitial ads. I guess most of the games just don't get enough attention because of the enormous mass of casual games nowadays.

Are there any developers out there who can make a living out of creating casual games? Or do bigger projects equal bigger money? Need to hear some experiences about that, still not sure which dimensions to choose for the my next couple of games.

I would recommend you head over to App Annie and read up a little bit. They can tell you what is trending and what markets to hit with your game. They have some very valuable market statistics to help you determine your goal.

As far as casual games go? Take a look at this article. I would venture to say you're still good for awhile.

FancySloth

Apr 1, 2015
New York
www.fancysloth.com
I'm a casual games dev and I make more than the average salary with them, so I think the opportunity is definitely still there. I also think it is pretty difficult, and some of my worse games are the best money makers, so I think luck plays a role as well.

I would recommend you head over to App Annie and read up a little bit. They can tell you what is trending and what markets to hit with your game. They have some very valuable market statistics to help you determine your goal.

As far as casual games go? Take a look at this article. I would venture to say you're still good for awhile.

Thanks for the great article. Would you be willing to give me advice on what kind of market stats can be used from App Annie to help with marketing games?

Reactions: Im Saint

Im Saint

Nov 25, 2014
Hartford
I'm a casual games dev and I make more than the average salary with them, so I think the opportunity is definitely still there. I also think it is pretty difficult, and some of my worse games are the best money makers, so I think luck plays a role as well.

Thanks for the great article. Would you be willing to give me advice on what kind of market stats can be used from App Annie to help with marketing games?

Interesting that you should ask. They just released another article relating to the Advertising and Monetization of Apps. They draw some statistics from 2013-2014 regarding Advertisements in-app and on the web to show how lucrative mobile development can be. That's one way you can use the statistics to help market your game. Furthermore, they show what works and what doesn't.

"Mobile app revenue opportunity is rapidly expanding
due to gains in device adoption and revenue per device"

Reactions: FancySloth

FancySloth

Apr 1, 2015
New York
www.fancysloth.com
Interesting that you should ask. They just released another article relating to the. They draw some statistics from 2013-2014 regarding Advertisements in-app and on the web to show how lucrative mobile development can be. That's one way you can use the statistics to help market your game. Furthermore, they show what works and what doesn't.

Thank you! I have app annie accounts, i wonder why i didnt see an email about this.

Howdyhi

Apr 6, 2015
Interesting read 'Worldwide App Annie Index for Games February 2015'
I read on a Unity flyer that Crossy Road generated $1million in two months from add revenue.
Think its testament to the fact that if its novel an original you just never know.

Im Saint

Nov 25, 2014
Hartford
Interesting read 'Worldwide App Annie Index for Games February 2015'
I read on a Unity flyer that Crossy Road generated $1million in two months from add revenue.
Think its testament to the fact that if its novel an original you just never know.

You're absolutely correct. You can really develop a one-off and not even know it's going to be successful. My advice is to keep making games to increase your knowledge of coding and some of those games where you may be just testing a physics engine or special concept might be the most fun.

nexus74350

Jul 30, 2014
I made some Game with > 1 millions users, and I earn only $100-$200 every month.
3 years ago, with less users I earned $1000 by month.

cmcasey

Jun 7, 2015
wireflow.ludomade.com
It's not a binary question but more of a sliding scale. Casual games can be profitable, but to move towards the point where profit is more predictable and less of a coin toss, you really need an ecosystem of small, solid games rather than a few make-or-break titles. Apps by the same developer cross-promote to some extent, and a lot of other little things play into it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Interesting that you should ask. They just released another article relating to the Advertising and Monetization of Apps. They draw some statistics from 2013-2014 regarding Advertisements in-app and on the web to show how lucrative mobile development can be. That's one way you can use the statistics to help market your game. Furthermore, they show what works and what doesn't.

"Mobile app revenue opportunity is rapidly expanding
    due to gains in device adoption and revenue per device"