Ask a question

No registration required

Programming a simple point A to B map

OP hunterschade

31st August 2014, 03:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Hello, this is my first post to this website so bear with me if i break some unwritten rule. I am attending a fairly large university and after spending over 2 hours wondering around lost on campus yesterday, I have set out to create an app for smart phones (android and OSX) that would function similar to google maps. It wouldn't use GPS, but rather would use a point A to point B approach. Where it would work that you would look at a map of the university and click on where you are and then click on where you want to go and it would give you the shortest route for that destination. Any help with how to do this would be very much appreciated. I am hoping there is a framework some where that I can just lay an image over and insert where the paths are as to avoid doing massive amounts of coding. Like I said, any information would be very much appreciated.
23rd September 2014, 10:50 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

14 posts
There probably should be some kind of framework or library to help you with that, but if I needed to make this quickly I'd just break the map into grid and used Dijkstra or A* pathfinding algorithm.

But that's probably a "quick and dirty" straightforward approach. I think there might be a more elegant solution.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread