Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

What the best framework for cross-platform?

OP 11alex11

17th July 2014, 08:23 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38

210 posts
I tried to use libgdx and found out the its not user friendly at all. very complicated framework with no support at all.

I want to write games, that the highest level is AngryBirgds. (I'll start from something much simple).

what framework would you recommend?
what do you think about Xamarin?

p.s
I'm looking for a free framework that I can publish on Google Play
9th September 2014, 11:42 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

8 posts
Thumbs up
What you didn't like about libGDX? It has great documentation and a friendly community. After trying a simple game tutorial on their wiki the framework doesn't seem at all complicated.

A great benefit to it is a desktop version for really fast testing or even releasing Spine 2d skeletal animation tool was made by one of main libGDX developers using libGDX.

Also i tried to release the iOS version of the game with libGDX, which successfully got in AppStore.
19th September 2014, 09:33 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 2

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11alex11

I tried to use libgdx and found out the its not user friendly at all. very complicated framework with no support at all.

I want to write games, that the highest level is AngryBirgds. (I'll start from something much simple).

what framework would you recommend?
what do you think about Xamarin?

p.s
I'm looking for a free framework that I can publish on Google Play

Hi,
I am not familiar with Xamrin but familiar with phoneGap. I worked in mobilepundits which offers PhoneGap mobile app development company. In the company I used this tool for mobile app development. According to this tool is really easy to use which enable you to build mobile apps even you are not friendly with it.
23rd September 2014, 04:30 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
PhoneGap is one of the best framework for cross platform mobile applications development. It is a free tool which can be used easily. In conclusion if your app can work with more than one platform then you must use the PhoneGap.
23rd September 2014, 10:23 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1

14 posts
I don't think PhoneGap and Xamarin are good choice if you want to make games. Both are good frameworks for making Apps, but if you really want to dive deep into game development you need to use a game engine, which solves a lot more tasks specific for game development.

If you want some higher-level and more user friendly framework then you definitely should try Unity.

If you want more control or just like to work on a lower level and at least a little familiar with C++, then I'd suggest you to try Cocos2D-x.

If you have a Mac, plan to support iOS, and not afraid of Objective-C or the new Swift programming language, then take a look at Cocos2D-Swift (aka Cocos2D-iPhone). Despite the name you can use it to create games for both iOS and Android (via Apportable).

There are other good game engines. But I've only worked with those three I've mentioned (and even wrote a book about Cocos2D-Swift and several tutorials on Unity).
10th October 2014, 12:23 PM   |  #6  

2 posts
Framework for Cross-Platform: Corona and Titanium
My vote for cross platform framework goes to Corona and Titanium. If you are developing a native app then Titanium is the best option. Titanium is best for developing a normal application. Titanium framework offers a wide range of native functionality and works perfectly with platforms like iOS and Android. If you are developing a game related application then go with Corona.
13th October 2014, 11:52 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 13

152 posts
Try Unity3d its has a free version. If you want check my games in my signature, they are both made in Unity for Android and iOS.
28th October 2014, 11:06 AM   |  #8  
Flag Kyiv

12 posts
If you would like to create a 2D cross-platform game the best engine is cocos2d-x.
In this platform you can use C++ or LUA.
Also there is a great community and it is open source. So, you can add own modules and fixes to repository.

But if you would like to create a 3D game or smth like this, the best framework is Unity.
3rd November 2014, 02:28 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 2

30 posts
I definitely recommend you the Cocos2d-x to give it a try.
Cocos2d-x allows you to write games in C++, Lua and Javascript. Moreover you can deploy games for variety of platforms: Windows Phone, Android, iOS, Windows Desktop, Linux, Blackberry, MacOS and Browser!
Yesterday they announced new Cocos brand which simplyfies many things and makes it more friendly
URL: www.cocos.com & www.cocos2d-x.com
17th November 2014, 09:01 AM   |  #10  

11 posts
I've been using Unity and it's working well so far. They have a large dev community. There's also an asset store where you can grab/buy plug-ins or assets to save time.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread