FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Tool] Which IDE do you prefer? Eclipse, Android Studio or something else?

8 posts
Thanks Meter: 3
 
By andreait15, Junior Member on 5th May 2014, 10:17 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

I have built my first Android app using Eclipse and I think it was pretty quick and helpful in many ways.
After the first project, my colleague asked me to switch to Android Studio, but my question is: is it better than Eclipse? Which one do you prefer?


Thank you all in advance,


Andrea
 
 
6th May 2014, 01:38 AM |#2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Meter: 4,103
 
Donate to Me
More
Android Studio is "The Way Forward" but still has lots of problems, and runs slow for me.

I'm just trying Studio now with a new app I'm working on. NDK integration isn't good (but better than 2013).

I don't even use Eclipse anymore, just ant etc scripts on command line and default linux GUI editor (Pluma) for editing.

But I'm trying to learn Studio because I think Google will let Eclipse support rot once Studio is officially supported. AND I'm trying to find ways to make myself more efficient. I haven't used IDEs in over 25 years (Turbo C), LOL, but it was fun back then...

Here again, Google is moving from open source stuff (Eclipse) to proprietary Android specially designed and built stuff (Studio). That has good and bad, and I'll just "go with the flow"...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th May 2014, 08:27 PM |#3  
Junior Member
Flag South River, NJ
Thanks Meter: 6
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

Android Studio is "The Way Forward" but still has lots of problems, and runs slow for me.

I'm just trying Studio now with a new app I'm working on. NDK integration isn't good (but better than 2013).

I don't even use Eclipse anymore, just ant etc scripts on command line and default linux GUI editor (Pluma) for editing.

But I'm trying to learn Studio because I think Google will let Eclipse support rot once Studio is officially supported. AND I'm trying to find ways to make myself more efficient. I haven't used IDEs in over 25 years (Turbo C), LOL, but it was fun back then...

Here again, Google is moving from open source stuff (Eclipse) to proprietary Android specially designed and built stuff (Studio). That has good and bad, and I'll just "go with the flow"...


Eclipse is the best right now.

Google Studio may be in the future.

I really hope Google starts stepping up and helping developers out. Xcode for iOS is really nice to work with when devloping for iOS. It would be nice if Google put that same effort into helping devs build for Android.
The Following User Says Thank You to jbutewicz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jbutewicz Ad-Free
6th May 2014, 09:31 PM |#4  
Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Meter: 4,103
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbutewicz

I really hope Google starts stepping up and helping developers out. Xcode for iOS is really nice to work with when devloping for iOS. It would be nice if Google put that same effort into helping devs build for Android.

Why would they change to being more dev friendly ?

Why would they spend more money on "expenses" when Android is #1 in terms of penetration ?

I'd be happy to see it, but I don't see them changing, and I highly suspect their team of bean counter accountants continue to conclude their profits are best when their development teams are small.


I've been researching/learning everything I can about audio on Android. It's a big mess, though it works, more or less, as in "good enough". But high performance, low latency audio such as IOS has is extremely difficult, hardware/OEM HAL/kernel driver dependent, and effectively impossible to do without at least occasional glitches on many leading devices.

These audio issues have existed for years, along with MANY others. The Android issue tracker is full of such issues. Some improvements have been made, but it's never enough.

Low level stuff like audio is where Android really falls down. The Google perspective seems to be the user perspective, which is closer to higher level Java stuff and farther away from the nuts and bolts of kernels, HALs, C and assembly language. Most of this is left to the OEMs to figure out and many take major shortcuts to reduce time to market.
8th May 2014, 10:07 PM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreait15

Hello,

I have built my first Android app using Eclipse and I think it was pretty quick and helpful in many ways.
After the first project, my colleague asked me to switch to Android Studio, but my question is: is it better than Eclipse? Which one do you prefer?


Thank you all in advance,


Andrea

I'm also interested in what folks are using. I whipped up a poll this morning and posted it on Reddit/r/Android but this seems much more appropriate.

Here is the Poll
And the results so far Results
9th May 2014, 03:40 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt68000

I'm also interested in what folks are using. I whipped up a poll this morning and posted it on Reddit/r/Android but this seems much more appropriate.

Here is the Poll
And the results so far Results

wow, these results make me only more confused.
Right now I'm using Android Studio too, and in some ways is better, especially the design views on the right side of the code, but adding libraries was a slowly death inside!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to andreait15 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift andreait15 Ad-Free
16th May 2014, 03:22 AM |#7  
sensislee's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
IntelliJ is the best. After I first-time used it, I would never switch back to eclipse.
16th May 2014, 05:13 AM |#8  
Crichton333's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Eclipse as an IDE, Unity3D as an engine.
18th May 2014, 12:30 PM |#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
esoloyu nefs
As along time eclipse user (more then 10 years) I tried out intellij a few month ago and I will never go back. IntellliJ is just the better ide

Well and now since I am using gradle I switched to android studio. Its like intelliJ with more android power
19th May 2014, 04:37 PM |#10  
Junior Member
Flag Santiago de Chile, Chile
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt68000

I'm also interested in what folks are using. I whipped up a poll this morning and posted it on Reddit/r/Android but this seems much more appropriate.

Here is the Poll
And the results so far

Great idea! As of now, it looks like the distribution of Android Studio and Eclipse w/ ADT goes head-by-head.

As for me, I prefer Android Studio. The layout previews and the built-in gradle support are the most important advantages for me. And of course the Darcula theme is also a huge plus
19th May 2014, 10:08 PM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Still sticking with Eclipse. Android Studio has more fancy features, but we're hand coding all the XML's or dynamically creating views anyway, so while a better UI editor works for smaller apps, it's not much help for a complex one.

That and redeploying / releasing is easier (for me anyway) with Eclipse, I've heard too many issues with Gradle to make the switch yet with commercial apps. People still complain about compile time, but with DexGuard packing stuff, it's < 10s between clicking "Run" and having it on the phone, not bad for an 6MB .apk full of code.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes