Transformer Prime car infotainment - Project

Search This thread

ePYK me.

Jul 3, 2012
Sydney
bit.ly
Hi All,

First of all it's been a while i was on XDA, Please do not hesitate to direct me to the links if any. Its just i lost the hang of it.

I would need some advice on turning TF201 to a car infotainment system. I'm running Katkiss's Stable rom with stock kernel (i believe). I like the multi-window option, that's when i decided it would be great for my car.

Any suggestions are always welcome!

I'm running premium version of Automate ( which i like the most on my Nexus 6P) but wouldn't support offline maps.:D

Then, I've downloaded Here Maps, I have difficulties in updating the location (could be GPS location problem) i have tried almost all navigation apps and none updated the location. Screenshot Below.:(

I do have an Asus GPS dongle, tried plugging that in and no luck (May be as i'm on a custom rom).:confused:

I would be glad if any of you have any ideas to speed up my (TF201) and my project as well.

Many Thanks in advance:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-06-22-33-08.png
    Screenshot_2016-04-06-22-33-08.png
    82.6 KB · Views: 297

theandies

I've actually been thinking of the same thing since I resurrected my Prime a few days ago. There are just two problems I have. First is my car stereo doesn't have and AUX input of any kind that I know about. If I'm going to do this I'm going to have to break into it and figure out a way to get into the low side of the output amps (or some other way) and tap in there. GPS is horrible even with the dongle and if using the dongle on a long trip you can't charge it. I have two dongles (thanks for your screw-up Asus) and was thinking of taking one apart and trying to install a charging cable that would work when the dongle is plugged in. Then I remembered that I have an old BT GPS receiver that I used in my PDA days so that solves problem #2.
Keep working on it and let me know some of your ideas/solutions and I'll do the same if I start this project.

ePYK me.

Jul 3, 2012
Sydney
bit.ly
Hi theandies,

Thanks for participation.

I do not have aux input either

I use a BT FM transmitter (BC - 06 ) from BSR. I like it and I have had no problems so far.. It is that you'll have to find the best RF.

I would want to mount it to the CD player ... With those mounts available on eBay.

I have an OBD 2 adapter plugged in with torque pro.

Yes I agree charging is a big problem, and I wouldn't like the wire lying around as well, figuring out a way to plug it in from the stereo. I'm stuck here.

I drive a citroën C4 VTR 2007. Any other ideas??

Thanks again.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA-Developers mobile app

theandies

Hi theandies,

Thanks for participation.

I do not have aux input either

I use a BT FM transmitter (BC - 06 ) from BSR. I like it and I have had no problems so far.. It is that you'll have to find the best RF.

I would want to mount it to the CD player ... With those mounts available on eBay.

I have an OBD 2 adapter plugged in with torque pro.

Yes I agree charging is a big problem, and I wouldn't like the wire lying around as well, figuring out a way to plug it in from the stereo. I'm stuck here.

I drive a citroën C4 VTR 2007. Any other ideas??

Thanks again.

I just can't find an FM BT transmitter that I like. I guess I'm a bit of an audio snob as far as sound quality and the FM transmitter just doesn't cut it for me. I'm an electronics engineer so breaking into my car stereo and making an audio in should take much work.

Torque was what I was going to use it for mostly as well. Still thinking about it. Right now I'm putting a clutch in my '71 Corvette convertible so that's taking up most of my time right now. I'll post stuff as I go.

AggieJack

Apr 25, 2016
Update: See edit below for results!

Hey fellas,

I'm doing this exact project myself. I'm going to try and get away with running the stock ROM, AutoMate and using my phone as a WiFi hotspot for online navigation and music streaming.

I figure that I'll just use Tasker to make a quick hotspot toggle on my phone's homescreen. I'm toying with the idea of automating the hotspot activation for whenever my phone is plugged in (since I always plug my phone in when I'm driving anyway.) I'm thinking that if I do that and have it only function between the hours of, say, 6:00am and midnight, it'll deactivate automatically for when I forget to do so during my nightly charge.

I just have my tablet velcroed to my dashboard along with a charging cable. It looks just fine! I'm sacrificing the usage of two of my AC vents, but I never really use them anyway.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Update: AutoMate isn't supported on the stock ROM... Time to get to some flashing!

Update 2: The project is finished!
The memory of how my Prime ended up in my possession is a bit of a fuzzy one, and I discovered that for whatever reason I seem to have the German edition. Coupled with the fact that I have no Windows 7 computers to run fastboot with properly, I spent a few too many hours trying to figure out how to load the KatKiss 5.1.1 ROM.

I ended up settling for an easy 4.1.1 jellybean ROM that didn't need any further screwing around with TWRP and bootloader versions. I loaded up AutoMate and found it quite lackluster and somewhat glitchy, but Drivermode works absolute wonders! The WiFi hotspot from my Galaxy Note 3 running Dirty Unicorns 5.1.1 functions beautifully.

Apparently there's ways of transmitting GPS from a phone to a tablet via Bluetooth, but the GPS on my Note has never really worked since I flashed DU anyway so I left that alone. I'm fine with just getting Google's directions manually and having the map with the route open. It's still really handy having the Prime for that.

As far as physically mounting the tablet goes, I really just velcroed it to my dashboard and ran the charging cable plus aux cord beneath the front cover panel to secure them. It holds quite firmly and can be easily removed if I feel like using the tablet for something else. I also think it improves the aesthetics of my ol' 1998 Cherokee. It looks much cleaner than the cheap ugly radio installed behind it xD

Having driven a few hours now with this new setup, I can definitely say that I am very happy with the outcome, especially since my Prime was otherwise just sitting on a shelf collecting dust. Spotify works like a charm with Drivermode and controlling its functions is easier than ever. I have also realized other potentials for having such a large, Internet-connected screen in such a convenient location. It's got some wicked movie-watching potential, for example. Date night with a view, anyone?
vSCtYq8.jpg

Last edited:

theandies

That does look good AggieJack. I've put my project on hold for now as I'm pulling the engine on my old Corvette and theat is taking all my free time. I've not abandoned it and hopefully finish it too. For GPS I'm going to use my external Bluetooth GPS receiver I have. It works great ant can lock on to double digit signals.

ePYK me.

Jul 3, 2012
Sydney
bit.ly
That looks fantastic.. Again. Katkiss runs fine for me with automate.. It wouldn't pick the GPS. That's where I'm held at.
If I get that going.. I will may have to find a solution to connect the charger inside the stereo cabinet. As I don't like wires lying around.