[Q] Screen digitizer below standards? No handwriting?

Search This thread

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
Your notes look good, would you mind giving some tips or maybe starting another thread with some tips on how to take notes using a stylus and what not. For example, are you writing in portrait mode or landscape? It looks like portrait but I don't know of that's due to formatting. Any tips would be appreciated. I'd like to be able to use mine for notes on occasion even though my livescribe pen handles notes just fine.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

I used to do it in landscape. I recently found it much easier to do it in portrait. The trick is using an app called writepad stylus. It's got probably the best palm rejection algo I've ever seen. All that note samples I posted were taken while my hand, wrist, and part of my arm resting comfortably on the tablet screen.

But here are a few things as prerequisites.

(1) Use the adonit jot or adonit jot pro.

(2) Put conductive grease in the joint of the jot. The point of conductive grease is to (a) fill in the voids between the steel ball joint and the disc and (b) protects the steel ball from corrosion. After conductive grease is applied, you will never have to press down anymore. It makes the jot stylus 100 times more responsive.

(3) Use writepad stylus (the app). Best palm rejection ever!

(4) Don't try to treat this like pen and paper. Instead, try to treat it like something new. Be adaptive about it.

(5) Use flip view! Writepad stylus has flip view so that you don't keep accidently touch the notification bar.

I'll make a video demonstrating what I do tomorrow. Just keep in mind that what I will show you are my own personal techniques. Each person is different. For example, I've never met anyone else who holds a pen like I do. There's no any one right way. But the wrong way is definitely treating this like pen on paper.

I've been telling people this since the first digitizer came out and the concept of taking electronic notes came about. People for some damn reason keep trying to treat this like pen and paper as if pen and paper is the best way to take hand written notes. And when they realize it doesn't feel like pen on paper, they whine.

hlenforcer

Feb 10, 2011
Thuringia
www.sensation-devs.com
In my opinion this thread is about insufficient digitizer resolution and not about to show how great somebody is able to handwrite on a tablet ;)
This is an issue i recognized very early cause it is exactly the same like on a HTC Desire HD, while my HTC Sensation is able to draw perfect diagonal lines slowly.
What i also have recognized between the two phones, the digitizer is well recognizable on the Desire HD in bright light, while it is impossible to see any point of digitizer on the HTC Sensation, on Transformer Prime the Digitizer is also viewable. Maybe there are 2 different main technices for digitizer or has the digitizer of Prime and DHD really a digitizer resolution which is 500% worse? :(
Sure there are workarounds for getting proper handwriting but there are other applications requiring a good digitizer performance, like drawing complex graphics and the device just feels smoother if the digitizer works more precise ...

Last edited:
Reactions: dingdonggggg

ReignsOfPower

Sep 1, 2010
img710.imageshack.us/img710/413/screenshot2012020700104.png
Im sorry but this is unacceptable. Doesnt matter what style i used or handwriting method. Finger or ifaraday or targus stylus, all the same deal. Asus fix this please. I can write so amazingly well on an ipad, this should be the same. Diagonal lines just do not come out. And yes ive tried the touchscreentune with zero success. Add http to view image

hankscorpion

Feb 1, 2012
Just to advise that this is not an issue with the ability to write on a tablet.

I have the use of an ipad 2. The stylus and my writing works perfectly on this device.

The issue is with the screen. Asus support have now advised me that the engineers have told them that I need to RMA both primes. They have not even asked me to try and diagnose the fault so i assume they are aware of the issue and are recalling them when thet are reported.

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
In my opinion this thread is about insufficient digitizer resolution and not about to show how great somebody is able to handwrite on a tablet ;)
In other words, this thread is purely for whining, since the digitizer resolution is totally beyond our control. So, rather than get someone's advice on how to make the best of it, you just want to whine.

hlenforcer

Feb 10, 2011
Thuringia
www.sensation-devs.com
In other words, this thread is purely for whining, since the digitizer resolution is totally beyond our control. So, rather than get someone's advice on how to make the best of it, you just want to whine.

LOL, nope i really just want to know what i asked before ... here are employees coming from different technical areas active in this forum, so maybe somebody knows the technical details, my motivation behind my question was, to find out, if the digitizer resolution really is the reason for this are if it is just a driver problem ...

and pls calm down, you seem to spend half of the day in adjudging ppl for things you just dont know about them, if you does not like this thread or misunderstand it, pls feel free to ignore it ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Magnesus

anoneemooz

Aug 17, 2010
San Juan
I don't know if it's just my TFP in particular, but I've had no problems using WritePad Stylus + a homemade stylus (soft part of a blue 3M sponge + old metal barrel pen) :p

I make very slight adjustments on-the-fly with TouchScreenTune (just the free version) when I feel necessary, but this isn't too much of a bother (Protip: I use SwipePad, a free awesome app you all gotta try btw, so I can access it easily while using whatever app)

Saved myself 30ish bucks and possible noise issues characteristic of Jot and Jot Pro styli. I'll splurge once something really awesome comes out though, but for now I'm satisfied with my el cheapo setup. I so wish a proper digitizer that works with the TFP comes out. Shame the Amtel one probably won't work...

Note though, I'm not (yet) using a screen protector of any sort. I hear Jot and plastic or rubbery tip styli are awful with glossy type protectors though so matte is recommended if you want to stay protected and use any of these kinds of styli. Spongey tip styli work fine though with any type of protector from what I've researched.

Some additional touch screen sensitivity adjustments might be necessary though when protectors are used (?). I'll comment more on this once I finally settle on a particular protector.

Edit, read something possibly useful!

(2) Put conductive grease in the joint of the jot. The point of conductive grease is to (a) fill in the voids between the steel ball joint and the disc and (b) protects the steel ball from corrosion. After conductive grease is applied, you will never have to press down anymore. It makes the jot stylus 100 times more responsive.

I might try this out! Thanks!

Btw, I've never used conductive grease before. How exactly does it feel once on the Jot? I mean...Does it leave any greasiness or streaks on the screen? Do you just put some on the tip and wipe off the excess? Does it have to be applied often?

Last edited:

Magnesus

Mar 7, 2011
Some small village
Btw, I've never used conductive grease before. How exactly does it feel once on the Jot? I mean...Does it leave any greasiness or streaks on the screen? Do you just put some on the tip and wipe off the excess? Does it have to be applied often?

Jot has a small disc that is attached to the pen by a small ball on the tip of the pen. Conductive grease comes between the ball and the disc - so it's never touching the screen! If you use conductive grease it probably will stay OK forever. I use just... toothpaste, which needs to be replaced from time to time (from what I heard), but works fine.

Reactions: anoneemooz

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010

Why in the world do people keep thinking when I say apply conductive grease to the adonit jot that I mean put the grease between the disc and the screen? Does that even make sense? Can you imagine any sane person advising to put grease all over the screen?

I've even had one person immersing his hands in grease thinking that's what I meant and then wrote me a hate mail complaining that the grease made his hands feel too uncomfortable. WTF?

Here's a picture of the adonit jot.

Close-on-tip.SM_.jpg

Use your imagination. Pull the pen part apart from the disc. Put conductive grease inside the little chamber where the steel ball goes. Put the steel ball back in.

Reactions: Spidey01

anoneemooz

Aug 17, 2010
San Juan
Why in the world do people keep thinking when I say apply conductive grease to the adonit jot that I mean put the grease between the disc and the screen? Does that even make sense? Can you imagine any sane person advising to put grease all over the screen?

Forgive the ignorance but for most people who are used to using/seeing the typical fat tip styli made of some kinda foam or rubber-like tip, something different like the Jot or Jot Pro is not as easily imaginable.

Yes, I did know based on my looking through its Amazon product page that it makes use of a metal ball tip and plastic disc but I did not know how one is attached to the other. As such, I did not know they could be easily detached, have grease applied, and then put back together.

By the way you even phrased your instructions, someone who is new to the whole concept would not know exactly what you meant by "joint of the jot" without seeing that closeup picture since, like it or not, many still have the usual stylus or pen form as a frame of reference for imagining what you mean.

Granted, the grease in hand thing is completely stupid, my curious query did not merit your bordering on condescending response.

No, I did not imagine putting grease all over the screen. Hence I asked, thinking that the grease goes on the disc-screen contact surface, if the excess grease is to be wiped off the Jot's tip after application so as to leave a very thin layer of the stuff just as a means to coat the plastic disc so it would work better or something to that effect. I did preface my question by saying I've never worked with conductive grease before.

Forgive the length of my response which you probably won't be bothered to read, but I couldn't help it given the way you responded to me. There are much kinder or neutral ways to respond just as Magnesus did. He gave 3 short sentences to explain the Jot's mechanism, and answer the rest of my questions thereafter.

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
Apologies if that came off as condescending.

Ever since I started telling people about conductive grease, people have been applying the grease onto the screen. There were a couple people who owned the jot and still made this mistake.

To me, it doesn't take that much of an imagination to think to put the grease in the joint, not the point of contact between the screen and the disc.

As a hobby, I also work on cars. Every joint (point of contact between 2 independent parts that are connected by some mechanism to keep them together while having the ability to move to varying angles of each other) requires grease. I apply grease to every joint in the car. Heck, we apply grease to every moving joint of every machine imaginable.

Anyway, I've been talking with the adonit people and their engineers absolutely hate my idea. Apparently, they think it's "not an engineering solution". This comes as a puzzle to me still, since we apply grease to everything else that has a moving joint. The grease lubricates and protects the material from corrosion.

In our case with the jot, the grease serves 2 purposes: (1) it fills in the voids between the steel ball and the disc so we don't have to press down for conductivity to occur and (2) it protects the steel from corrosion. There have been reports of small corrosion occurring on the steel ball. Adonit engineers have confirmed this. The small corrosion spots hinder static conductivity and cause skippings.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Your notes look good, would you mind giving some tips or maybe starting another thread with some tips on how to take notes using a stylus and what not. For example, are you writing in portrait mode or landscape? It looks like portrait but I don't know of that's due to formatting. Any tips would be appreciated. I'd like to be able to use mine for notes on occasion even though my livescribe pen handles notes just fine.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

I used to do it in landscape. I recently found it much easier to do it in portrait. The trick is using an app called writepad stylus. It's got probably the best palm rejection algo I've ever seen. All that note samples I posted were taken while my hand, wrist, and part of my arm resting comfortably on the tablet screen.

(3) Use writepad stylus (the app). Best palm rejection ever!

(4) Don't try to treat this like pen and paper. Instead, try to treat it like something new. Be adaptive about it.

(5) Use flip view! Writepad stylus has flip view so that you don't keep accidently touch the notification bar.

I'll make a video demonstrating what I do tomorrow. Just keep in mind that what I will show you are my own personal techniques. Each person is different. For example, I've never met anyone else who holds a pen like I do. There's no any one right way. But the wrong way is definitely treating this like pen on paper.

I've been telling people this since the first digitizer came out and the concept of taking electronic notes came about. People for some damn reason keep trying to treat this like pen and paper as if pen and paper is the best way to take hand written notes. And when they realize it doesn't feel like pen on paper, they whine.
    Can anyone enlighten me on the performance of the screen digitizer.

I have been testing several note taking applications on my TFP. Although I have lousy handwriting the TFP makes it even worse. At first I blamed myself and the rather clumsy big tipped stylus and to improve the results I downloaded Touchscreen Tuner. A nice application but minimal improvement.

Then I also noticed it is impossible to draw accurate on the TFP.
    A straight horizontal or vertical line is possible but when you try to draw a straight diagonal line it becomes a wave line. Now I really got worried. Maybe my drinking habits had given me this unsteady hand. So I got out a ruler and drew a diagonal line along it. I was relieved that I could continue drinking but what a shock to see the result. Again the diagonal line turned out as a wave line. (See the screen shot)

It turns out the grid of the digitizer is much too widely spaced. I estimate the distance between grid points at about 5 millimeters. And apparently the algorithm to interpolate between the grid points is so insufficient that a contact on the digitizer between two grid points is regarded as a contact with the nearest grid point. The algorithm doesn’t calculate a point in between.

Another way to see this is when you pick up an icon on the home screen and slowly drag it diagonally across the screen. It will not follow your finger or stylus smoothly but it will sway from left to right and stay behind a bit and then catch up again.

A big plus for the TFP for me was the possibility to accurately draw and take notes while working in the field.
    As it is advertized and showed by Asus in promotional videos.
    That is also what the Notes application was designed for.

Again I am afraid that Asus has (next to GPS, Wifi/BT issues, performance and screen faults) promised us to much goodies to be true.

Does anyone have a solution to this shortcoming or maybe can test if they can reproduce my findings. Maybe it is a malfunction in my TFP.
    Please let me know your solutions or findings.

By the way. I also tested a HTC Sensation, a HTC HD and an Ipad 2. On these devices it is perfectly possible to draw a perfectly straight diagonal line.
    There is an app on the market to tune the touchscreen for this and Galaxy Tab, it helps a ton. Touchscreen Tune I think its called.

It is $5 though but with the app, good freewriting application and a decent pen, handwriting is a lot easier.

Use the application mentioned above....

OP mentioned he tried this, no edit to original thread
    Wow, a bunch of newbies giving advice to each other. Here's what my regular notes look like. Tf101 with adonit jot. Tf101 and 201 have same screen.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38673648/pictures/writepad_stylus_sample.pdf

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

If you don't know how to adapt, then don't try.
    So obviously you don't have a TF201.
    And obviously the hardware (and also the screen) is totally different.
    But if you are willing to help us out and explain to us what we are doing wrong we would be gratefull.
    If not then i think you should get back to the TF101 forum.
    It is of no use posting an image of what you can do on your TF101.
    I can post multiple pictures of the complicated things I can do with pen and papier.
    ;-)
    But that is not the reason why we bought a TF201.
    I hope there is someone out there that can help.

What you are doing wrong is you're not adapting. You're trying to use it like pen and paper. When the tf101 first came out, there were many whiners who came to FDA whining that the tf doesn't feel like a laptop.

Imagine people trying to use pen and paper like chisel and hammer on stones. Or imagine people trying to use the desktop like a typewriter.

The jot on tf doesn't feel like pen on paper. Why? Because its not pen on paper. Adapt or move on. Imagine flying an airplane like driving a car. Complain about that.

Added by edit.

The point I was trying to make is this. Yeah, I zoom in when I write. So? It gives me the freedom to draw out more details than I can with pen on paper. I can also change colors at will. Don't have to carry around all the notebooks and stuff. It took me may be 2 note taking sessions to get use to it. I don't even think about it anymore. And I can just print out the pdf of my notes whenever I want.

Stop trying to use this like pen and paper. Zoom in, do whatever you need to to adapt. Our ancestors adapted from chisel and hammer to pen and paper. And now you're trying to use a stylus on tablet like pen and paper? Why not complain that a car doesn't ride like a horse? Or a train doesn't ride like a horse pulled ferry?

Do what you need to to adapt. If you can't adapt, move on. No need to get stressed out by it.