[Q] Fastest/Most Stable Rom Available + kernel?

Search This thread

demifalcon

Jan 25, 2013
Seattle
Hey guys my Tf201 has been aging and dying in a corner until today when I finally decided to do something about it. It's on the stock 4.1.1 with the 4.1.1 bootloader and it is soooooooo slow that I finally decided to look into ROMs to breathe life back into it. I was looking at a few ROMs, like the new lollipop builds, but they didn't seem stable enough. I want a ROM that is fast and stable, and also if possible one that is 4.4+ (I don't want to stay on Jellybean). So, what's the best, new stable ROM available for this device (including any tweaks or kernels, as I have none installed on my device). I just want the optimal performance possible for this thing.
Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Prosasan

Mar 22, 2008
Odense / Fyn
Hey guys my Tf201 has been aging and dying in a corner until today when I finally decided to do something about it. It's on the stock 4.1.1 with the 4.1.1 bootloader and it is soooooooo slow that I finally decided to look into ROMs to breathe life back into it. I was looking at a few ROMs, like the new lollipop builds, but they didn't seem stable enough. I want a ROM that is fast and stable, and also if possible one that is 4.4+ (I don't want to stay on Jellybean). So, what's the best, new stable ROM available for this device (including any tweaks or kernels, as I have none installed on my device). I just want the optimal performance possible for this thing.
Thanks in advance :)

Hello there!

Well I have to be honest i havent tried more than 4 roms i think, i had been running the cm11 from their website until cm12 became available as a testingversion by Namidairo, i am atm running twrp recovery , though since it has been a while i cant remember where to check my current kernel but it says:
3.1.10-g0f3c119
akane@tsunemori #1
I dont think i really changed it back when i unlocked and rooted the device so i cannot tell you much about that.
but the rom is very smooth and fast, sometimes it does struggle with youtube/twitch, but i guess that is to be expected from an older device with only 1gb ram.
i have tried figuring out what this nvFlash and backup nvFlash is but its simply been too long since ive really been into the hackin business so i am having a tough time with it.
hope my feedback was helpfull :)

domohan

Sep 10, 2013
Thanks for the reply I guess I'll out the CM12 ROM then :) so you definitely installed a custom kernel over CM12?

I went from KatKiss Lollipop 5.0 v1 to v19 > ZOMBi-POP OMNI KANG BETA 1][Mar 31] > KatKiss Lollipop 5.1 v22. With my experience KatKiss is the most refined ROM. No added personal touch by individuals. Katkiss is just a pretty efficient vanilla version of Google Experience that's quicker and lagfree compared to ZOMBI-POP

demifalcon

Jan 25, 2013
Seattle
I went from KatKiss Lollipop 5.0 v1 to v19 > ZOMBi-POP OMNI KANG BETA 1][Mar 31] > KatKiss Lollipop 5.1 v22. With my experience KatKiss is the most refined ROM. No added personal touch by individuals. Katkiss is just a pretty efficient vanilla version of Google Experience that's quicker and lagfree compared to ZOMBI-POP

How did you install v22 on the TF201? I read that there were compatibility issues past a v19 for KatKiss
EDIT:Nvm i haven't read the thread since its been updated thanks for telling me though :)

Last edited:

domohan

Sep 10, 2013
How did you install v22 on the TF201? I read that there were compatibility issues past a v19 for KatKiss
EDIT:Nvm i haven't read the thread since its been updated thanks for telling me though :)

Is your TF201 still on 4.1.1? It's time to upgrade to LP 5.1 v22.
1) Pre-requsite is to BRICK-PROOF the device by performing the NVFLASH
https://www.androidroot.mobi/pages/guides/tegra3-guide-nvflash-jellybean/
2) Then following the instructions from http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=58522004&postcount=2
until "FLASHING THE ROM FROM RECOVERY" where the instructions point to the ZOMBi-POP ROM. Use the KatKiss 5.1 v22 ROM instead.

Good luck.

jynlude

Feb 3, 2012

Exactly what I did (with a few trips to 4.4.4 roms also) and I'm extremely happy with v22 of KatKiss

TiagoDM

Nov 30, 2013
Exactly what I did (with a few trips to 4.4.4 roms also) and I'm extremely happy with v22 of KatKiss

Does GPS work ok on your T201? Mine doesen't with or without the GPS dongle... it's my only "complain" about this KatKiss v22... Is there anyway to try to fix it? I've tried all GPS apks, event those that sync the sattelites with a list on the internet to perform faster lookups on the available sats, but it seems to have no effect.

Ideias?

jynlude

Feb 3, 2012
Does GPS work ok on your T201? Mine doesen't with or without the GPS dongle... it's my only "complain" about this KatKiss v22... Is there anyway to try to fix it? I've tried all GPS apks, event those that sync the sattelites with a list on the internet to perform faster lookups on the available sats, but it seems to have no effect.

Ideias?
Honestly, I've given up on GPS and camera on the ROM. I never take pictures with the tablet, nor do I really rely on it for GPS purposes (both, I use my LG G4). Everything I've gathered regarding GPS points it to being a hardware issue and that there's not much to do software wise to make it happy.

TiagoDM

Nov 30, 2013
Honestly, I've given up on GPS and camera on the ROM. I never take pictures with the tablet, nor do I really rely on it for GPS purposes (both, I use my LG G4). Everything I've gathered regarding GPS points it to being a hardware issue and that there's not much to do software wise to make it happy.

Ok, but it worked before (when i had the original asus OS on the tablet), maybe kernel issue + rom issue?

Madmanmoose

Nov 8, 2011
New Providence
Can't generate blobs...Error=65280

2) Then following the instructions from http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=58522004&postcount=2
until "FLASHING THE ROM FROM RECOVERY" where the instructions point to the ZOMBi-POP ROM. Use the KatKiss 5.1 v22 ROM instead.

Good luck.
My tf201 runs the stock Android 4.1.1, is rooted and unlocked.
Followed the NV Flash directions at https://www.androidroot.mobi/pages/g...ash-jellybean/ (to the letter) up to "wheelie step 2: generate wheelie blobs"
Once I do that, I get:
"Failed to enable wifi. Cancelling upload. Error=65280"

Do you know of any other way to use NV Flash, or to flash any other custom recovery onto the tf201? I have literally spent 5 hours now, searching every Android forum site, using Google/Bing/etc. with every permutation of this problem that I can think of. They all of them bring me back to having to generate the blobs, and then going into NV Flash. I have hit a hard dead end; and, would greatly appreciate any guidance.

Thanks, in advance!
PJ Arts

mattnmag

Feb 6, 2013
My tf201 runs the stock Android 4.1.1, is rooted and unlocked.
Followed the NV Flash directions at https://www.androidroot.mobi/pages/g...ash-jellybean/ (to the letter) up to "wheelie step 2: generate wheelie blobs"
Once I do that, I get:
"Failed to enable wifi. Cancelling upload. Error=65280"
Do you know of any other way to use NV Flash, or to flash any other custom recovery onto the tf201? I have literally spent 5 hours now, searching every Android forum site, using Google/Bing/etc. with every permutation of this problem that I can think of. They all of them bring me back to having to generate the blobs, and then going into NV Flash. I have hit a hard dead end; and, would greatly appreciate any guidance.
Thanks, in advance!
PJ Arts

It sounds like you have successfully generated the wheelie blobs. The error message you're getting just means that they didn't get uploaded to the AndroidRoot webserver as an additional backup... but they should still be created in a file folder called AndroidRoot on your tablet's /data/media partition. Use a file explorer app like ES File Explorer and look for them in the AndroidRoot folder. You could use adb commands to pull the files over to your computer... or you can also connect your tablet to the computer via usb cable and easily copy the wheelie blobs to your computer for safekeeping. That's what I did, and then I backed them up onto Dropbox as well to have a duplicate backup.

If you haven't found this guide already ( https://matthill.eu/android/transformer-prime-tf201-jellybean-nvflash/ )... then check it out because it helped me tremendously with the entire NVFlash process. You should be good to continue following the guide to complete the entire NVFlash backup process.

As far as flashing a custom recovery to the device, I chose to flash TWRP and used fastboot commands to do it. If you are new with fastboot commands, then there are some good general guides that you could find through a Google search that would be helpful to read for general knowledge purposes. Here's a good General fastboot guide for reference .

The fastboot command to flash a custom recovery for the TF201 is ( fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash recovery “and enter the name of desired recovery file here”). I chose to download the official TWRP blob ( twrp-2.6.3.0-tf201-JB.blob ) from TeamWin’s TWRP website at https://dl.twrp.me/tf201/ and then flash that to my TF201.

Here's the steps used: (**YOU MUST HAVE AN UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER TO DO THESE STEPS *** please use them at your own risk and only if you feel comfortable with what you are doing-- you could brick the tablet if you do something wrong).

1. Copy the correct TWRP Recovery blob into the same folder on your computer as where you have fastboot.exe (for me, this is in my Android SDK platform-tools folder). Then hold Shift on the keyboard and right mouse click on any open white space in the file folder, and open a command prompt terminal by clicking "Open Command Window here"

2. Boot into Fastboot mode on the tablet with volume down/ power, then navigate to usb icon and press Volume up to enter fastboot mode. Plug the tablet into the computer with the USB cable. (Now, it would be a good idea to enter the fastboot command: " fastboot devices " without the quotes... and confirm that the phone is communicating with the computer by showing your device's ID number).

3. Enter this fastboot command: fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash recovery twrp-2.6.3.0-tf201-JB.blob

4. After giving it time to complete the process (at least several minutes) and getting a message in command terminal that it was successful, you will need to hold the power button down on the tablet for about 10 seconds to let it boot up normally. After it boots up, you should be able to power down, then hold Volume down plus Power button to boot up into recovery screen mode--- then volume up on RCK to get into TWRP recovery.

(I adopted instructions from flumpster's instructions in this thread and from instructions in this Guide ...so credit should go to them.

Last edited:

Madmanmoose

Nov 8, 2011
New Providence
T H A N K Y O U !!!

You were (of course) correct: wheelie had generated the blobs. Followed your excellent directions to the letter, and now have a tf201 that is rooted, unlocked and running TWRP.
Simply brilliant stuff!
PJA

Reactions: mattnmag

mattnmag

Feb 6, 2013
T H A N K Y O U !!!

You were (of course) correct: wheelie had generated the blobs. Followed your excellent directions to the letter, and now have a tf201 that is rooted, unlocked and running TWRP.
Simply brilliant stuff!
PJA

Good to hear that you got it to work. I'm just having fun playing around with tweaking the stock 4.1.1 ROM right now, but I'm planning to try out KatKiss 5.1.1 v23 soon.

Madmanmoose

Nov 8, 2011
New Providence
I finished installing KatKiss 5.1.1 last night...lots of steps; but, I followed them slowly, and it went fine.
The only issue I had (that wasn't documented) was having to keep going into Win 8.1 Device Manager and reinstalling the Naked Universal Drivers each time I had to flash an updated TWRP, etc.
My understanding is that this issue is confined to Win 8.1

The new ROM is blazing fast, vastly improved memory management...like a new tablet.
My only issue is that it doesn't support moving apps to an external microSD card. I have posted that as a question on the KatKiss 5.1 support thread here on XDA.

Thanks again, and great good luck installing the updated ROM.
PJA

hulkhaugen

May 4, 2010
Arendal
bstart.net
I'm in a similar situation, i run a older custom CM11 i think (it's v4.4.4), but i can't remember all the things i've put my poor tab through. Is there a way to check? I know that it's rooted and unlocked, it's running CWM-based Recovery v6.0.4.5, i think it might be a custom CWM recovery. Where do i start on this process?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    T H A N K Y O U !!!

Simply brilliant stuff!
    PJA