[Q] Picked up another Prime

Search This thread

f'n around

Jan 29, 2011
Wow, I can't believe how long it's been since I've posted in this forum. I haven't kept up with my TF201 updates at all, now I'm overwhelmed by what is available.

On my current/old TF201 I have been running Hairybean v1.51 and have been loving the Prime ever since. Well I found a used Prime recently at a great cost and decided to pick it up. It is stock non-rooted C30K. I figured I would just jump into the Hairybean thread and download what I need, root and rom this biznatch and call it good. Then I saw all the new roms and forgot what I was doing. I'm like a virgin on my first trip to Bangkok with a fresh paycheck and no duty for a week. I don't know what to do or where to start, hence this thread.

Here is what I want to do or what I primarily do on my prime now:
surf the net
read books--do a lot of outside reading during the summer and the Super IPS is a must
stream movies from my NAS drive while at home
Been messing around with GPS lately, not sure if I'll use it in my boat or not.

That's really it. I mostly want it fast enough to stream my movies without buffering or stuttering a lot and keep the Super IPS.

Now the question is what ROM still has the Super IPS brightness that I need. I assume almost all of the roms have been tweaked enough for my steaming needs. Should I just load this one with HairyBean v1.51 since I know I like it, or should I delve into something newer.

Your thoughts a guidance are appreciated~

flumpster

Apr 4, 2011
Rhondda Valleys
Wow, I can't believe how long it's been since I've posted in this forum. I haven't kept up with my TF201 updates at all, now I'm overwhelmed by what is available.

On my current/old TF201 I have been running Hairybean v1.51 and have been loving the Prime ever since. Well I found a used Prime recently at a great cost and decided to pick it up. It is stock non-rooted C30K. I figured I would just jump into the Hairybean thread and download what I need, root and rom this biznatch and call it good. Then I saw all the new roms and forgot what I was doing. I'm like a virgin on my first trip to Bangkok with a fresh paycheck and no duty for a week. I don't know what to do or where to start, hence this thread.

Here is what I want to do or what I primarily do on my prime now:
surf the net
read books--do a lot of outside reading during the summer and the Super IPS is a must
stream movies from my NAS drive while at home
Been messing around with GPS lately, not sure if I'll use it in my boat or not.

That's really it. I mostly want it fast enough to stream my movies without buffering or stuttering a lot and keep the Super IPS.

Now the question is what ROM still has the Super IPS brightness that I need. I assume almost all of the roms have been tweaked enough for my steaming needs. Should I just load this one with HairyBean v1.51 since I know I like it, or should I delve into something newer.

Your thoughts a guidance are appreciated~

There are lots of newer roms about that I haven't even tried but you definitely don't want Hairybean 1.51, that is a very old version.

If you are going to try Hairybean you want the 2.31 version. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2407248

Once that is setup using the instructions in the thread you should be good to try most of the other new roms also as most of them are on the TF300 bootloader the same as Hairybean.

Try and find out what bootloader you are on now and make nvflash backups so that you can always get out of a brick if something goes wrong.

f'n around

Jan 29, 2011
There are lots of newer roms about that I haven't even tried but you definitely don't want Hairybean 1.51, that is a very old version.

If you are going to try Hairybean you want the 2.31 version. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2407248

Once that is setup using the instructions in the thread you should be good to try most of the other new roms also as most of them are on the TF300 bootloader the same as Hairybean.

Try and find out what bootloader you are on now and make nvflash backups so that you can always get out of a brick if something goes wrong.

thanks for the info. I guess I should have made my question, "Which version of Hairybean should I install?" v1.51 has been great and stable for me. I look forward to trying to figure out how to root and rom this thing again!

f'n around

Jan 29, 2011
I'm on my way, but I have spent most of the day trying to figure out how to root now.

I have unlocked sucessfully, but that is as far as I can get. I have tried a few different root methods like sparky root and a few others.

Can someone point me in the right direction as to what I need to do and where I can find the info to get though my next step to make it to the newest version of HairyBean?

I appreciate your help.

f'n around

Jan 29, 2011
Uh...nervermind. Sometimes taking a break can help clear things up. I'm good. Unlocked and rooted. Next step is TWRP and HairyBean

f'n around

Jan 29, 2011
Why did you care to root, if you flash a custom ROM anyway?

I don't have a great answer for this. I am not intimately familiar with flashing custom ROM's on this thing, I just dabble when needed. Also, I started way with the Viewsonic G-Tab in which I was pretty good at flashing, it's where I cut my teeth with flashing ROM's, so some habits may just die slowly I guess.

Anyway, I unlocked this new Prime I got and couldn't get CWM on it for some reason and I couldn't find much in the way of process or steps to take to get from bone stock to ROM. After searching around, reading multiple threads here and watching youtube vids, I went the route that I went. Unlock, root, install TWRP, ROM. The only thing I skipped was setting up NVFlash, though I may do that later. Then again, if this ROM is anything like v1.51 that I ran for years on my first (now hand-me-down to my daughter) prime, I may never have the need to upgrade this thing again.

I am up to learning though, did I take the wrong steps? Was there an easier way? It would be nice if someone "In the know" would post up a step-by-step how-to from bone stock to ROM flashing. Then again, it may already be there, buried in the forum somewhere.