LG to Release Octa-Core “Nuclun” SoC in the LG G3 Screen

LG is set to follow the likes of Samsung and other manufacture its own … more

Lockdown Pro 2 Brings Material Design and Media Support

Back in March of this year, we took a look at a rather innovated security application … more

Mural Watchface Brings 500px to Android Wear

On a traditional watch, you can’t really do too much to change its appearance once … more

Android 5.0 Favorite Features, Release November 3rd? – XDA TV

Google Confirms Android 5.0 Lollipop for November 3rd! That and much more … more

[Q] Upgrading Firmware Problems

OP Victortjeuh

23rd August 2014, 11:22 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

9 posts
Hi,

I have an ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T with Android 4.0.3 installed. I want to upgrade my android version to Android 4.2. I think I can do this by upgrading the firmware.

So, I went to Settings --> About --> Update system firmware (or something like that), clicked 'Check update'.
Result: no update available.

So I thought there was something wrong with my OTA updating. I didn't have a problem with updating the firmware manaully.

I downloaded the last firmware (WW_V10.6.1.27.5) from the ASUS site for my build (IML74K.WW_epad-9.4.3.30-20120604). I guess my build is WW, I don't know what IML74K is.

I googled some ways to install it, and I saw the method with the Micro SD card. I unzipped the file (once, yes), and I updated my firmware by clicking the warning icon in the right corner.

When I did that, my tablet turned off and turned on in recovery mode. With an error:
Quote:

E:Invalid command argument

Okay, no problem, I thought, let's try it with Fastboot. So I copied the blob file to my fastboot root. I installed the correct drivers for my ASUS tablet and connected my tablet to the computer. I started up my tablet pressing VOL DOWN + POWER, waited until I saw 3 icons and selected USB. And this appeared on my tablet screen:
Quote:

OS will cold boot in 10 secs if the selected mode is not confirmed.

Press <VOL_DOWN> to change mode.
Press <VOL_UP> to confirm mode.

(Here I selected and confirmed USB)

Starting Fastboot USB download protocol

I guess this is the normal procedure.

Then I typed this in cmd:
Quote:

C:\Users\JohnDoe> cd "C:\Users\JohnDoe\Documents\Fastboot"
C:\Users\JohnDoe\Documents\Fastboot> fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash staging blob

After waiting +- 160s, this was the result in cmd:
Quote:

sending 'staging' (800923 KB)...
OKAY [157.073s]
writing 'staging'...
FAILED (remote: ()
finished. total time: 157.663s

And this appeared on my tablet screen:
Quote:

Failed to process command flash:staging error(0x170003)

http://imgur.com/a/Rzqli

I pressed the POWER button for +-10s and rebooted my tablet to the original, 4.0.3 version. I don't want to try unsafe ways because this is a family tablet and not my personal: there is a lot of stuff on it and I really don't like restoring backups.

So my question is: how do I upgrade my tablet?

I hope I gave enough information, if something is still unclear, ask it please!
Last edited by Victortjeuh; 23rd August 2014 at 11:31 AM.
29th August 2014, 06:04 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 377

1,087 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victortjeuh

Hi,

I have an ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T with Android 4.0.3 installed. I want to upgrade my android version to Android 4.2. I think I can do this by upgrading the firmware.

So, I went to Settings --> About --> Update system firmware (or something like that), clicked 'Check update'.
Result: no update available.

So I thought there was something wrong with my OTA updating. I didn't have a problem with updating the firmware manaully.

I downloaded the last firmware (WW_V10.6.1.27.5) from the ASUS site for my build (IML74K.WW_epad-9.4.3.30-20120604). I guess my build is WW, I don't know what IML74K is.

I googled some ways to install it, and I saw the method with the Micro SD card. I unzipped the file (once, yes), and I updated my firmware by clicking the warning icon in the right corner.

When I did that, my tablet turned off and turned on in recovery mode. With an error:

Okay, no problem, I thought, let's try it with Fastboot. So I copied the blob file to my fastboot root. I installed the correct drivers for my ASUS tablet and connected my tablet to the computer. I started up my tablet pressing VOL DOWN + POWER, waited until I saw 3 icons and selected USB. And this appeared on my tablet screen:

I guess this is the normal procedure.

Then I typed this in cmd:

After waiting +- 160s, this was the result in cmd:

And this appeared on my tablet screen:

I pressed the POWER button for +-10s and rebooted my tablet to the original, 4.0.3 version. I don't want to try unsafe ways because this is a family tablet and not my personal: there is a lot of stuff on it and I really don't like restoring backups.

So my question is: how do I upgrade my tablet?

I hope I gave enough information, if something is still unclear, ask it please!

So right now, you are on version 9.4.3.30-20120604. This is Android Ice Cream Sandwich. What I would recommend to do is first update to android 4.1 jelly bean, and then to android 4.2 jelly bean, because those are different bootloaders.

4.1 Stock: http://d-h.st/vjo

Then

4.2 Stock: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23060877489997157
The Following User Says Thank You to cmendonc2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th August 2014, 07:59 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmendonc2

So right now, you are on version 9.4.3.30-20120604. This is Android Ice Cream Sandwich. What I would recommend to do is first update to android 4.1 jelly bean, and then to android 4.2 jelly bean, because those are different bootloaders.

4.1 Stock: http://d-h.st/vjo

Then

4.2 Stock: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23060877489997157

First of all, thank you very much for answering! Unfortunately, I got the message "E:Invalid command argument" again with the 4.1 Stock. Some more information about my device, if this affects the upgrade.

Model number: ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T
Android version: 4.0.3
GPS version: V6.9.15
Wi-Fi version: V6.1.1.32
Bluetooth version: V9.32
Camera versoin: TF300T-000128
Touch screen version: ELAN-3011-4822
Kernel version: 2.6.39.4-00003-gafee6c5 (new line) android@Mars #1
Build number: same as first post
Pad EC version: PAD-EC20T-0216
30th August 2014, 02:48 PM   |  #4  

1,087 posts
More
Quote:

First of all, thank you very much for answering! Unfortunately, I got the message "E:Invalid command argument" again with the 4.1 Stock. Some more information about my device, if this affects the upgrade.

Model number: ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T
Android version: 4.0.3
GPS version: V6.9.15
Wi-Fi version: V6.1.1.32
Bluetooth version: V9.32
Camera versoin: TF300T-000128
Touch screen version: ELAN-3011-4822
Kernel version: 2.6.39.4-00003-gafee6c5 (new line) android@Mars #1
Build number: same as first post
Pad EC version: PAD-EC20T-0216

Have you tried this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabappel2548

== Part 1 - Prepare the tablet ==
First we need to install the 9.4.3.30 US update to be able to upgrade to the Jellybean software, then we will do the actual upgrade to Jellybean.

1) Download the US 9.4.4.3.30 update: Asus support site
2) Put the file on your tablets internal storage
3) Got to recovery and make a backup
4) In recovery do to a factory reset and wipe dalvik cache
- TWRP recovery: Wipe => Dalvik Cache and Wipe => Factory reset
- CWM recovery: Factory reset and Advanced => Wipe Dalvik Cache

5) Flash the US_epad-user-9.4.3.30.zip file
Don't install a custom recovery after doing this step. The Jellybean update will only be automatically launched with stock recovery
6) Reboot into your tablet and enable "USB-debugging" and "Unknown Sources" in settings
7) Connect your tablet to your pc and download this file: Automated Rooting Toolkit
8) Extract the rooting toolkit and follow the instructions to root your tablet.
9) Once you finished the rooting process you are ready to continue to the upgrade process

== Part 2 - Upgrade to Jellybean ==
This will upgrade your tablet to Jellybean (Android 4.1.1)

1) Download the necessary files:
- dlpkgfile: Jellybean OTA update Rename this file to dlpkgfile
- command: command.zip (Extract this zip before copying to your tablet)

2) Copy both files to your MicroSD card or internal storage
3) Open root explorer or another file explorer with root acces
4) Copy dlpkgfile to /cache folder and the file command to /cache/recovery
5) Now you need to reboot your tablet, this will start the installation of the Jellybean update
6) Wait untill the update is finished and now you have Jellybean on your tablet

The Following User Says Thank You to cmendonc2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th August 2014, 09:36 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmendonc2

Have you tried this?

Thank you for answering, but before I'm going to do this, I have two questions:
1) I see 'US'. My build is 'WW'. Should I download a WW version instead of a US version?
2) Is a factory reset really needed? The tablet is a family tablet with a lot of stuff on it, and I don't want to lose those things.
30th August 2014, 09:42 PM   |  #6  

1,087 posts
More
Quote:

Thank you for answering, but before I'm going to do this, I have two questions:
1) I see 'US'. My build is 'WW'. Should I download a WW version instead of a US version?
2) Is a factory reset really needed? The tablet is a family tablet with a lot of stuff on it, and I don't want to lose those things.

1.) If you live the the US, then go for the US version. Else, choose the appropriate one.

2.) When you update the Stock ROM, all apps are going to be deleted and all their data will be lost. Any videos, pictures, or music you put on the SD card or internal storage should survive the trip from 4.1 to 4.2 but im not sure what will happen if it goes from ICS to JB. Either way, you should back up everything as there is no way around it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread