Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,466 Members 49,927 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Crosstoolchain discussion for TF700t!

Tip us?

LetMeKnow
Old
(Last edited by LetMeKnow; 6th September 2014 at 04:58 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 595
Default Crosstoolchain discussion for TF700t!

I hope that _that will lead us in this topic because he seems to know away more than I do. I am here to learn and feel free to discuss anything that you like. No restrictions so we can get all the input from other users....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LetMeKnow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LetMeKnow
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 595
Default What is a toolchain?

After discussion with a few users, it is a mixed of toolchain types that they use.. According to my research, androideabi is targetting ROM build and optimize for the ROMs' binaries. It is fine when you use it to compile your kernel source but it is not optimized for the kernel compilation.

For kernel compiling, you should use the gnueabi toolchain because it uses the kernel's source for a specific kernel version during the toolcchain compiling for a better compatibility, I guess... However, some users reported that it was fine to use for ROM build also...

So the question is it matter what types of toolchains we are using? What are the benefits between the two? Does anyone see any difference between the two with users' experiences?
The Following User Says Thank You to LetMeKnow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lj50036
Old
(Last edited by lj50036; 5th September 2014 at 04:45 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,407

DONATE TO ME
Here I will take this spot and fill it with useful info and links about what I have found on the web ....

1. MythBusters XDA Edition: “Optimized” Compiler Toolchains

2. USING THE ANDROID TOOLCHAIN AS A STANDALONE COMPILER

3. ELinuxToolchains

4. The GNU Toolchain for ARM targets

5. ARM
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lj50036 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LetMeKnow
Old
(Last edited by LetMeKnow; 4th September 2014 at 03:09 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj50036 View Post
Here I will take this spot and fill it with useful info and links about what I have found on the web ....

MythBusters XDA Edition: “Optimized” Compiler Toolchains
It is great that you are joining the discussion because I have a lot of questions and some good optimizations while I tested with these toolchains. I will give what I know a long the way when the questions come up and hope we will have a better understanding what to use and not to use...

hardslog
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,251

DONATE TO ME
In the olden days, I used the 4.6.2 linaro toolchains and I have heard that a lot of people swear by DoomLord's prebuilts.

Just wanted to throw that out there. I personally have not tried anything above 4.7 yet but now I am tempted to
The Following User Says Thank You to hardslog For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LetMeKnow
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardslog View Post
In the olden days, I used the 4.6.2 linaro toolchains and I have heard that a lot of people swear by DoomLord's prebuilts.

Just wanted to throw that out there. I personally have not tried anything above 4.7 yet but now I am tempted to
Adding to your comment, I do see a performance improvement with different toolchains but some users said it is just a placebo... I am one of the trials and errors users with testing so nothing is going to stop me until proving by testing and users' experiences, haha...

BTW, I could not get the gcc-4.8/4.9 to work on our tf700 chipset yet because there are some graphical problems on linux kernel v3.1.10. I hope that someone can figure it out so we can test it...

hardslog
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,251

DONATE TO ME
There is a PAC rom in the TF300 forums that claims they are using SaberMod 4.8 without issues. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2501869

Furthermore there is a kernel (no longer in development it seems) in the TF300 forums that claims to use linaro 4.8 toolchains http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2625580
The Following User Says Thank You to hardslog For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LetMeKnow
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardslog View Post
There is a PAC rom in the TF300 forums that claims they are using SaberMod 4.8 without issues. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2501869

Furthermore there is a kernel (no longer in development it seems) in the TF300 forums that claims to use linaro 4.8 toolchains http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2625580
Thanks for the information... I will look more into it when I have more time..

BTW, You should try the linaro toolchain for your kernel compilation but you should use the right kernel version that you intend to run. It is running very smooth... It takes less than 10 minutes to compile and test it out..
The Following User Says Thank You to LetMeKnow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sziggins
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Default Cross Compiler Toolchains [Linaro GCC]

Hi,
Interesting thread but in my humble opinion should be in TF700's development section. So, I just used Christopher83's Toolchain for compiling _that's that10 kernel and flash it in CROMBi-kk RC3. As we have Tegra 3 Soc I used the toolchain with arm-cortex_a9-linux-gnueabi prefix which is optimized for Cortex-A9 cpu with Neon-VFPv3. I tested all the latest versions: 4.9 doesn't work at all (the TF700 was vibrating continuously!), the 4.8 had visual glitches but with 4.7 is working with no problems at all! Finally, from the same thread krislibaeer clarifies a bit the linaro prebuilt toolchains
Quote:
here a little explanation:

arm-eabi toolchain: is for kernels
arm-linux-androideabi: is for rom building

so you use the arm-eabi toolchain for your kernels and the arm-linux-androideabi for roms
hope it helps a bit

so recommend is the arm-eabi toolchain for kernels
Hope that helps the discussion.
Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to sziggins For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LetMeKnow
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by sziggins View Post
Hi,
Interesting thread but in my humble opinion should be in TF700's development section. So, I just used Christopher83's Toolchain for compiling _that's that10 kernel and flash it in CROMBi-kk RC3. As we have Tegra 3 Soc I used the toolchain with arm-cortex_a9-linux-gnueabi prefix which is optimized for Cortex-A9 cpu with Neon-VFPv3. I tested all the latest versions: 4.9 doesn't work at all (the TF700 was vibrating continuously!), the 4.8 had visual glitches but with 4.7 is working with no problems at all! Finally, from the same thread krislibaeer clarifies a bit the linaro prebuilt toolchains
Hope that helps the discussion.
Cheers.
There are a few things that you need to pay attention to.
1. Neon-VFPv3 is for Cortex-a8 and not for a9. You may want to flag it as neon-fp16..
2. I believed that your toolchain is targetting linux kernel version 3.4.x or something but not for version 3.1.10.
3. I have the same issues with my owm builds gcc-4.8/4.9 without any solution.
4. Try some of -Ofast flag to see the improvement on v3.1.10

Good luck....