Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,198 Members 47,815 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Holy hell, I just achieved a buttery smooth launcher (with just one caveat)

Tip us?

hachibei
Old
(Last edited by hachibei; 1st July 2014 at 07:19 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Lightbulb Holy hell, I just achieved a buttery smooth launcher (with just one caveat)

Caveat: You won't have any wallpaper. So its all black to ya. But holy **** it's worth it. The launcher felt very smooth as baby asses and I am now willing to give up having wallpaper altogether.

Now the method is very simple and it made use of Google Now Launcher bug (lol)

Tested setup:
Worked on latest CM11 nightly (29/06), latest crombi with vanilla setting (none of the fsync, force GPU etc.), and also crombi with data2sd mod.
  1. Download the official Google Now Launcher in Play Store (don't worry, you can use your preferred launcher later) (I would link but no rep sigh..)
  2. Open the Google now launcher, long press anywhere, and go into the wallpaper setting
  3. Choose one of the stock wallpaper that came with the Google now launcher (I chose the yellowish swirly thingy)
  4. Press set wallpaper
  5. Wait. After a few secs, it should return you to back to the google now launcher home screen but this time with no wallpaper. If it applied the wallpaper successfully, then try another stock wallpaper. If it still applies the wallpaper successfully, then tough luck. Doesn't work for you then.
  6. So since you don't have any wallpaper, try moving around the launcher and stuffs. Feel the smoothness that almost rivals the iOS. Heck you can even go back to your preferred launcher now. The no wallpaper bug stick with nova and trebuchet. This smoothness is the dream we were denied.

This method is reproducible for me and no, setting to that "no wallpaper" option in Nova only applies a black image in the background. The Google Now Launcher bug allows us to literally have no wallpaper at all.

Also, I've been trying to check all day if the lagginess that was originally present in launchers w/o using this bug came from CPU or GPU. I dare to say, for what's it's worth, all my noobish test seems to be pointing to the Tegra 3 GPU. Hell you can even go on power save mode with this wallpaper bug and still see nothing impacting it baby butt smoothness.

(The current Google Now Launcher version in Play Store is 1.0.16.1154249 as of this post)
The Following User Says Thank You to hachibei For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

andreibsk
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I use GMD Gestures to navigate through my apps and stuff. It has an option to "hide" the status/navigation bar - i think it basically just kills SystemUI. Yes you wont be able to access the notifications and quicksettings anymore, but hell the home screen is perfect smooth and you get to keep your wallpaper. (might be different on other ROMs, i'm on CROMBi-kk)

hachibei
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreibsk View Post
I use GMD Gestures to navigate through my apps and stuff. It has an option to "hide" the status/navigation bar - i think it basically just kills SystemUI. Yes you wont be able to access the notifications and quicksettings anymore, but hell the home screen is perfect smooth and you get to keep your wallpaper. (might be different on other ROMs, i'm on CROMBi-kk)
Good to know. I prefer having the status bar though since I have two WiFi network in my house and I frequently take a peek at the quick settings panel usually to know which network I'm using.