Now the method is very simple and it made use of Google Now Launcher bug (lol)
Worked on latest CM11 nightly (29/06), latest crombi with vanilla setting (none of the fsync, force GPU etc.), and also crombi with data2sd mod.
- Download the official Google Now Launcher in Play Store (don't worry, you can use your preferred launcher later) (I would link but no rep sigh..)
- Open the Google now launcher, long press anywhere, and go into the wallpaper setting
- Choose one of the stock wallpaper that came with the Google now launcher (I chose the yellowish swirly thingy)
- Press set wallpaper
- Wait. After a few secs, it should return you to back to the google now launcher home screen but this time with no wallpaper. If it applied the wallpaper successfully, then try another stock wallpaper. If it still applies the wallpaper successfully, then tough luck. Doesn't work for you then.
- So since you don't have any wallpaper, try moving around the launcher and stuffs. Feel the smoothness that almost rivals the iOS. Heck you can even go back to your preferred launcher now. The no wallpaper bug stick with nova and trebuchet. This smoothness is the dream we were denied.
This method is reproducible for me and no, setting to that "no wallpaper" option in Nova only applies a black image in the background. The Google Now Launcher bug allows us to literally have no wallpaper at all.
Also, I've been trying to check all day if the lagginess that was originally present in launchers w/o using this bug came from CPU or GPU. I dare to say, for what's it's worth, all my noobish test seems to be pointing to the Tegra 3 GPU. Hell you can even go on power save mode with this wallpaper bug and still see nothing impacting it baby butt smoothness.
(The current Google Now Launcher version in Play Store is 188.8.131.524249 as of this post)