[Q] Generate NVflash blobs ... possible with my device?

OP MiM81

31st August 2014, 10:14 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

25 posts
Hello community,
Well, I'm not sure if it's because I'm an idiot or English isn't my mother tongue (or both...?), but I just can't find out if generating nvflash blobs to make my device "unbrickable" is possible or not?
I'm not sure if this indicates the bootloader-version, but in settings it reads kernel-version 3.1.10-10.6.1.14.10-that8-oc+. So I thought, it would not be possible because I read somewhere else it would just work with [...]14.4 and downgrading the bootloader would be impossible.
Then, a few days later I read this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=63 .
Okay, so .8 is more than .4 ... I am confused right now. Will it also work with .10 ?
I don't have this device that long (~14 days) and since for my old TF101 there exists a flashable image which unlocks and unbricks every TF101 device every time without some special bootloader version related things I have not been aware of this issue.

If my device is not able to generate the nvflash blobs to make it unbrickable, what could brick my device? Is it right, if I accidently use settings -> wipe / factory reset from within android (not twrp recovery) this will brick my device? if so, why isn't this option disabled in every custom rom?

Thank you for any advice so far,
regards,
MiM8
31st August 2014, 11:52 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Muti-Verse
Thanks Meter: 1,562

1,942 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiM81

Hello community,
Well, I'm not sure if it's because I'm an idiot or English isn't my mother tongue (or both...?), but I just can't find out if generating nvflash blobs to make my device "unbrickable" is possible or not?
I'm not sure if this indicates the bootloader-version, but in settings it reads kernel-version 3.1.10-10.6.1.14.10-that8-oc+. So I thought, it would not be possible because I read somewhere else it would just work with [...]14.4 and downgrading the bootloader would be impossible.
Then, a few days later I read this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=63 .
Okay, so .8 is more than .4 ... I am confused right now. Will it also work with .10 ?
I don't have this device that long (~14 days) and since for my old TF101 there exists a flashable image which unlocks and unbricks every TF101 device every time without some special bootloader version related things I have not been aware of this issue.

If my device is not able to generate the nvflash blobs to make it unbrickable, what could brick my device? Is it right, if I accidently use settings -> wipe / factory reset from within android (not twrp recovery) this will brick my device? if so, why isn't this option disabled in every custom rom?

Thank you for any advice so far,
regards,
MiM8

DId you get my PM ?
The Following User Says Thank You to lj50036 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st August 2014, 11:58 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

25 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj50036

DId you get my PM ?

yes
1st September 2014, 12:35 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,480

3,495 posts
More
Quote:

I'm not sure if this indicates the bootloader-version, but in settings it reads kernel-version 3.1.10-10.6.1.14.10-that8-oc+.

It doesn't. It says "Kernel version". To see your bootloader version, go to the bootloader menu (Power+Vol-down) and read the text in the upper left corner.

Quote:

So I thought, it would not be possible because I read somewhere else it would just work with [...]14.4 and downgrading the bootloader would be impossible.

You could downgrade bootloaders back to 9.4.5.30 if you wanted to. But modern ROMs don't work on such an old bootloader. So yes, you can perform the Flatline procedure.

Quote:

This option works fine, but only if you have a working recovery. If your recovery is broken or incompatible with your bootloader, it can hard brick your device because it forces booting to the recovery until the factory reset has been performed and the broken recovery won't complete the factor reset. So make it a habit to boot to recovery manually instead (using the bootloader menu and volume keys) and perform the wipe from there - one less chance to brick.
The Following User Says Thank You to _that For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st September 2014, 01:48 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

25 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that

It doesn't. It says "Kernel version". To see your bootloader version, go to the bootloader menu (Power+Vol-down) and read the text in the upper left corner.

Okay, so then it reads ww_epad-10.6.1.14.10-20130801 in my case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that

You could downgrade bootloaders back to 9.4.5.30 if you wanted to. But modern ROMs don't work on such an old bootloader. So yes, you can perform the Flatline procedure.

Thx for confirming this... makes me hope at least (and thx for your detailed answer in general)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread