Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] New TF700T owner, advice requested

OP Cabrill

23rd August 2014, 12:39 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
14 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
I just purchased a used TF700T from Cowboom for my wife to use for web browsing, Facebook, Netflix and Kindle. Possibly a few games, but nothing extreme. I've done a bit of reading to make sure I didn't come across as a total newb, so I plan on installing the highly recommended CROMi-X OS (thanks, sdbags!) and using the _that's (and thanks to _that, too!) kernel. I read about the I/O problems and so I purchased a 16GB UHS1 card to help alleviate the bottleneck. I intend to create a 2GB FAT32 partition and 14GB EXT4 partition on the 16GB card so I can enable Data2SD, and then use the internal storage for multimedia storage.

My questions are:

1) Does anyone have any suggestions or dvice based on what I'm planning?
2) Is it advised I do the Rom2SD for better speed or is that only for people dual-booting?
3) Should I enable or disable fsync during the Aroma installer if I'm going to use Data2SD?

Thank you very much for any help or suggestions you can provide!
23rd August 2014, 12:59 AM   |  #2  
sbdags's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kenilworth, Coventry
Thanks Meter: 13,219
 
11,662 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrill

I just purchased a used TF700T from Cowboom for my wife to use for web browsing, Facebook, Netflix and Kindle. Possibly a few games, but nothing extreme. I've done a bit of reading to make sure I didn't come across as a total newb, so I plan on installing the highly recommended CROMi-X OS (thanks, sdbags!) and using the _that's (and thanks to _that, too!) kernel. I read about the I/O problems and so I purchased a 16GB UHS1 card to help alleviate the bottleneck. I intend to create a 2GB FAT32 partition and 14GB EXT4 partition on the 16GB card so I can enable Data2SD, and then use the internal storage for multimedia storage.

My questions are:

1) Does anyone have any suggestions or dvice based on what I'm planning?
2) Is it advised I do the Rom2SD for better speed or is that only for people dual-booting?
3) Should I enable or disable fsync during the Aroma installer if I'm going to use Data2SD?

Thank you very much for any help or suggestions you can provide!

Do it

Keep fsync enabled and for keeping it simple stick with data2sd although you may want a larger card as that 2GB partition is all she will see in most apps as her micro sd card storage.
The Following User Says Thank You to sbdags For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd August 2014, 01:09 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
14 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdags

Do it

Keep fsync enabled and for keeping it simple stick with data2sd although you may want a larger card as that 2GB partition is all she will see in most apps as her micro sd card storage.

Thank you! I must have misunderstood because I thought the 2GB was what Windows saw when you connect the tablet to a PC. I'm afraid I'm stuck with 16GB since I already placed the order, would it be better if I did 12GB/4GB, or 10GB/6GB or even 8GB/8GB? I was thinking the apps were going to use the larger of the two partitions since that's where Data is installed. Can they not also see the internal memory?
23rd August 2014, 01:47 AM   |  #4  
sbdags's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kenilworth, Coventry
Thanks Meter: 13,219
 
11,662 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrill

Thank you! I must have misunderstood because I thought the 2GB was what Windows saw when you connect the tablet to a PC. I'm afraid I'm stuck with 16GB since I already placed the order, would it be better if I did 12GB/4GB, or 10GB/6GB or even 8GB/8GB? I was thinking the apps were going to use the larger of the two partitions since that's where Data is installed. Can they not also see the internal memory?

Windows will see the first partition

With 16GB you don't actually get 16GB - you'll get more like 13GB

so I would do 6Gb and 7GB. But next time buy a bigger card or alternatively

stay with internal at first?
23rd August 2014, 11:48 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,503
 
3,530 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdags

With 16GB you don't actually get 16GB - you'll get more like 13GB

16 GB = 16000000000 bytes.

16000000000/1024/1024/1024 = 14.9 GiB.
23rd August 2014, 02:17 PM   |  #6  
sbdags's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kenilworth, Coventry
Thanks Meter: 13,219
 
11,662 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that

16 GB = 16000000000 bytes.

16000000000/1024/1024/1024 = 14.9 GiB.

Hmm my memory maths is a bit off.

I could have sworn it was closer to 13.
27th August 2014, 05:52 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
14 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
I took your advice and purchased a 32GB card. How would you suggest the split of 30.5GB available? 20GB & 10.5GB? Or a different combination? Thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdags

Hmm my memory maths is a bit off.

I could have sworn it was closer to 13.


Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cromi-x, data2sd, fsync, rom2sd
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes