Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” smartphones. … more

Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

Project Ara: Modified Android L and Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and software enthusiasts. The … more

Error mounting data and cache

13th July 2014, 02:56 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38

133 posts
Hello Everyone

I have run into an odd problem. My tf701 ran out of power while I was watching netflix on it. After that it got stuck on boot. When I tried to fiddle using CWM I found out that I cannot mount data or cache. Further more I get to see 5 lines of "E: can't mount /recovery/*" where * are folders within /recovery/ . I tried to format system using CWM or fastboot, they both say they succeed but when I reboot I still get my bootanimation. At this I am out of ideas as to how I can fix it. Furthermore thanks to being unlocked I lost my warranty .

Any suggestions as to how I can fix it?
13th July 2014, 04:45 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 56

494 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by devbro

Hello Everyone

I have run into an odd problem. My tf701 ran out of power while I was watching netflix on it. After that it got stuck on boot. When I tried to fiddle using CWM I found out that I cannot mount data or cache. Further more I get to see 5 lines of "E: can't mount /recovery/*" where * are folders within /recovery/ . I tried to format system using CWM or fastboot, they both say they succeed but when I reboot I still get my bootanimation. At this I am out of ideas as to how I can fix it. Furthermore thanks to being unlocked I lost my warranty .

Any suggestions as to how I can fix it?

Maybe I saw something like this I dont know. Did you try mounting system first and see if that fixes it? I have no idea.
EDIT: from CWM I mean. I had a situtation where some things would not mount. data being one of them.. Not sure what else. Then I just mounted /system and everything was ok. Could it be that for some reason system is not getting mounted and you not formatting it besides an empty directory.
Last edited by YayYouFixedIt; 13th July 2014 at 04:53 PM.
13th July 2014, 04:50 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

133 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YayYouFixedIt

Maybe I saw something like this I dont know. Did you try mounting system first and see if that fixes it? I have no idea.
EDIT: from CWM I mean.

Yes I tried no luck. When I try to format /data using fastboot it simply hangs both the device and the terminal too.
14th July 2014, 02:58 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,856

7,720 posts
Quote:

Yes I tried no luck. When I try to format /data using fastboot it simply hangs both the device and the terminal too.

some corruption seems to have occurred.

perform a hard reset in the 'stock' recovery (this will format /data).

then boot in and re-setup. any userdata you had will be gone (including media/content stored locally, etc.).

in case of /system corruption (after performing the above; you still cannot boot in), you can format that partition separately and re-flash it from the CWM file for the latest posted stock update.

you can find file(s) on droidbasement, as needed.
Last edited by pershoot; 14th July 2014 at 03:01 AM.
16th July 2014, 11:11 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

42 posts
I belive I have the same probleme, how i could i do it right?
17th July 2014, 07:36 AM   |  #6  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 901

2,759 posts
More
Quote:

How did you try to format data in fastboot??
That's done in recovery afaik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero0345

I belive I have the same probleme, how i could i do it right?

What problem do you have? /data not mounting? Format it in recovery but you will loose everything stored on your internal SD.
19th July 2014, 10:59 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

133 posts
I finally took my tablet in for a check with asus. They said that I ahve corrupted my boot and since I replace the recovery there is no way to fix it. the only way to fix it is to replace the motherboard at this point. It will cost 190$ to replace!!!!
29th July 2014, 02:06 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

133 posts
Just as an update to the future readers. I ended up replacing my logic board inside using one that I got from ebay. My tablet now works just as new. As per advice of the Asus tech, DO NOT FLASH a new recovery. If anything goes wrong the original asus recovery is the only way to fix things.
29th July 2014, 03:37 AM   |  #9  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 901

2,759 posts
More
Quote:

Just as an update to the future readers. I ended up replacing my logic board inside using one that I got from ebay. My tablet now works just as new. As per advice of the Asus tech, DO NOT FLASH a new recovery. If anything goes wrong the original asus recovery is the only way to fix things.

I beg to differ....
The stock recovery can only flash firmware signed by Asus and perform some crude wipe operations.

With a custom recovery you have way more tools at hand to fix problems:
You can wipe or format partitions selectively
You can take nandroids and restore them
You can check the integrity of file systems on partitions
You can fix permissions
You can flash SuperSU, custom roms and more
Some have a build in file manager allowing you to move data off the tablet even if it doesn't boot anymore
Some have a build in terminal you can run commands from.
The list goes on...

But sure - you have to do all of the above including flashing the custom recovery correctly or you can seriously damage your device like you did.
I am really sorry that you lost your mainboard and had to buy a new one, but don't kid yourself: It was not the custom recovery damaging your tablet. It was you...
29th July 2014, 05:07 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

133 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by berndblb

I beg to differ....
The stock recovery can only flash firmware signed by Asus and perform some crude wipe operations.

With a custom recovery you have way more tools at hand to fix problems:
You can wipe or format partitions selectively
You can take nandroids and restore them
You can check the integrity of file systems on partitions
You can fix permissions
You can flash SuperSU, custom roms and more
Some have a build in file manager allowing you to move data off the tablet even if it doesn't boot anymore
Some have a build in terminal you can run commands from.
The list goes on...

But sure - you have to do all of the above including flashing the custom recovery correctly or you can seriously damage your device like you did.
I am really sorry that you lost your mainboard and had to buy a new one, but don't kid yourself: It was not the custom recovery damaging your tablet. It was you...

When I talked to the tech at their center, there is apparently some special actions that only their recovery can do. These actions are those that allow changing boot table and other low level functions of the tablet which has nothing to do with the built-in memory or system files.

If I did not replace the recovery, then the repair by asus would have only cost 40$.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread