Ubuntu touch RELEASED!! So Epic win? or Epic fail? (Keep it clean)

Search This thread

rekrapg

Aug 10, 2009
Brisbane
K well that makes sense but I don't think well have to worry about that since 64gb will be the standard

Phone Slow? go ------>HERE<------
Ubuntu phone OS announced
eqy8egub.jpg

what do u think share your thoughts --->HERE<---

agreed :) I just think perhaps you should update the OP to make it really clear those are the specs for OEM's, and not necessarily for installing the system. Lets face it, alot of people that will want to try this out will not dig into threads for information or search, they will read the OP and post "well that is screwed, I can't run the GNEX image on my GNEX".

TingTingin

Aug 13, 2012
peru
agreed :) I just think perhaps you should update the OP to make it really clear those are the specs for OEM's, and not necessarily for installing the system. Lets face it, alot of people that will want to try this out will not dig into threads for information or search, they will read the OP and post "well that is screwed, I can't run the GNEX image on my GNEX".

I updated it

eqy8egub.jpg

Reactions: rekrapg

stretched

Jul 9, 2011
I'm gunna try it. I have loved linux since Caldera haha, now a dirty word in the industry. As long as the repository is well maintained and managed, this could be wildly successful.

Dexster

Jun 2, 2012
las vegas
Nice to see this working been waiting for ever for something new sadly we wont see it on phones like mine the GS2 till a years later only thing is just like windows phone it can be all about the apps accessibility

TingTingin

Aug 13, 2012
peru
I'm gunna try it. I have loved linux since Caldera haha, now a dirty word in the industry. As long as the repository is well maintained and managed, this could be wildly successful.

Am not so sure about wildy successful I love it but i dont if it'll take off or just cement its place as a third place OS

Nice to see this working been waiting for ever for something new sadly we wont see it on phones like mine the GS2 till a years later only thing is just like windows phone it can be all about the apps accessibility
U won't have to wait that long as soon as the nexus image comes out devs can begin porting to different devices if u want Ubuntu to speed up releases and work with the community then sign the petition

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2085920

eqy8egub.jpg

TingTingin

Aug 13, 2012
peru
Yeah sign it

Psionfenix

Nov 11, 2007
Las Vegas
Having actually gotten the chance to play with one at CES, I can honesty say I prefer it over android. Its just crisp and smooth. I can definitely see it requiring a couple changes (if the devs don't implement them, or have yet, i'm not sure) but overall I am thoroughly impressed. It's easier to pick up and "learn" to use than iphone/android, and maybe winphone. I see a ton of potential for it.

However, the biggest issue with it, as it has been touched upon in this thread, is it will be difficult for some to swap, mostly due to the apps people have bought and are used to, and the time/money that people have invested in their current setup.

TingTingin

Aug 13, 2012
peru
Having actually gotten the chance to play with one at CES, I can honesty say I prefer it over android. Its just crisp and smooth. I can definitely see it requiring a couple changes (if the devs don't implement them, or have yet, i'm not sure) but overall I am thoroughly impressed. It's easier to pick up and "learn" to use than iphone/android, and maybe winphone. I see a ton of potential for it.

However, the biggest issue with it, as it has been touched upon in this thread, is it will be difficult for some to swap, mostly due to the apps people have bought and are used to, and the time/money that people have invested in their current setup.

I know it seems like that but I don't think people will be swapping at least not at the moment since you could run it on a android device they might buy a another android device or buy a unbuntu phone and still own a android device I know that's what I'm gonna do unless dual booting is a possibility

Btw at CES did you get to interact with it meaning u were doing the controlling of the OS or did a representative do it and let u watch

Psionfenix

Nov 11, 2007
Las Vegas
At first, he held it and showed me, then we talked for awhile and then i held it in my hand and controlled it. I plan on picking up a used gnex within the next few days to get ready to play with the image when it drops. Seeing as how it can run on an android phone, I think dual booting will be a very good possibility.

Also, me and one of the guys there talked at length about the tablet they'll be announcing soon as well. :D

Last edited:

iflip

Apr 1, 2010
Ubuntu phone os looks a little lighter on phones internal hardware. They also said when the phone is docked it will convert into the full desktop version. That could be a win for people like me who own a quad core Samsung note 2 that would like to dock and mirror it on a monitor for use as a pocketable pc. I'm a photographer and would like to have this type of accessibility for my phone and have access to the array of free high end photo editing apps available for Ubuntu. I've never used Ubuntu a day in my life but this will make me consider trying it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

nikufellow

May 14, 2012
simcity
^Hmmm docking has its fair share of advantages but i doubt you'll be able to run - 'high end' photo editing apps with the previous gen soc in note ii :rolleyes:

rekrapg

Aug 10, 2009
Brisbane
Definitely try it, ubuntu is pretty awesome, gaming is the only thing that keeps Windows on my second partition

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

chrisnk204

Mar 15, 2009
BROOKLYN!
The way ubuntu will cash out!!!!!!!

While ubuntu phone does look visually appealing i dont think they can pull it off. They say they can appeal to the low end users but i HIGHLY doubt it i mean the "dock to desktop" feature is as tech geek as it gets, that being said ITS THE GREATEST IDEA IVE EVER HEARD!!!! Ive been dreaming of the day i can dock my phone to a moniter of some sort and hop into a desktop os this is revolutionary! But i say ubuntu's best bet is to sell this idea and software to google and let them implement it and perfect it BECAUSE I KNOW FOR A FACT THIS WILL BE THE NEXT HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER FEATURE IN THE HIGHEND SUPERPHONE MARKET! Its genius to say the least plus i think they can make a pretty penny and still stay relevant. This if it happens will be the next step in the superphone world so much so i cant bet 100% that apple will feed into it without choice to stay relevant follow probably 2 years after google lol you know how late they can be ;)

liawim

Jan 4, 2013
The way ubuntu will cash out!!!!!!!

While ubuntu phone does look visually appealing i dont think they can pull it off. They say they can appeal to the low end users but i HIGHLY doubt it i mean the "dock to desktop" feature is as tech geek as it gets, that being said ITS THE GREATEST IDEA IVE EVER HEARD!!!! Ive been dreaming of the day i can dock my phone to a moniter of some sort and hop into a desktop os this is revolutionary! But i say ubuntu's best bet is to sell this idea and software to google and let them implement it and perfect it BECAUSE I KNOW FOR A FACT THIS WILL BE THE NEXT HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER FEATURE IN THE HIGHEND SUPERPHONE MARKET! Its genius to say the least plus i think they can make a pretty penny and still stay relevant. This if it happens will be the next step in the superphone world so much so i cant bet 100% that apple will feed into it without choice to stay relevant follow probably 2 years after google lol you know how late they can be ;)

U miss the whole point where conical(ubuntu) stand fore....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium HD app

chrisnk204

Mar 15, 2009
BROOKLYN!
U miss the whole point where conical(ubuntu) stand fore....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium HD app

It seems like your personal preference is blocking your logical thought. Think of the question at hand do you think Ubuntu can" BLOW UP AND MAKE TONS OF MONEY?" Do you really think a company can come in at this point in the smartphone industry and make a dent? MICROSOFT are the pioneers of THE SMARTPHONE ITSELF and because of their break from the industry they can barely keep up with ios and android and thats only because they are one of the wealthiest companies in the world so they have the means to fund a "comeback" that is falling short. I mean i really hope ubuntu phone does make it big but that is a LOOOOOOOOOONG SHOT so what i was suggesting was a cash out/partnership with someone who has the power to actually pull this off id prefer google because im an android fanboy and would love that "dock to desktop" feature but Microsoft is also an option and in many ways might be a more solid one because the majority still uses windows so the "mainstream" will be more comfortable taking their windows phone 8 phone docking it and jumping into just windows 8 that being said i would rather them not sell alllllll the way out lol and stick with Ubuntu software i personally love Ubuntu but their launching strategies have proven to SUCK!

Last edited:

TingTingin

Aug 13, 2012
peru
When he said you missed his point he meant that canonical is FULLY in support of open source meaning their not in it for the money when is the last time you heard of a company offering a mobile OS to its competitors free of charge even going out of their way to include support for android kernels that can't be good for business but that's not what canonical cares about they have been doing the whole ubuntu PC thing and don't even come close to Microsoft's profit margins but they still continue because money is not their objective they simply want to make everyone's life easier so selling to Google would completely defeat the purpose of what they're trying to do

chrisnk204

Mar 15, 2009
BROOKLYN!
When he said you missed his point he meant that canonical is FULLY in support of open source meaning their not in it for the money when is the last time you heard of a company offering a mobile OS to its competitors free of charge even going out of their way to include support for android kernels that can't be good for business but that's not what canonical cares about they have been doing the whole ubuntu PC thing and don't even come close to Microsoft's profit margins but they still continue because money is not their objective they simply want to make everyone's life easier so selling to Google would completely defeat the purpose of what they're trying to do

Its not for money ... ... ... ... ... Come on now ppl lets not be so naive android is the pioneer of open source EVERYTHING IS FOR MONEY i say they partner with someone who already perfected the industry and progress that way. They are doing the same things they want to just with a more powerful company backing them. Google can also send ubuntu desktops into the next level if they adopt it, its a win win situation ppl

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    y6yzytu6.jpg

uhe4anus.jpg

If your wondering How to install then go here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2159291
    Supported devices are

Galaxy nexus
    Nexus 4
    Nexus 7
    Nexus 10

Wanna port then go here

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Porting

Hi guys just wanted to make a thread to find out what people think about Ubuntu for phone so they can share there opinions views what they'd like to see our what they love etc at this moment there isn't that much to go on but it I love how it's looking so far opinions will surely change as time goes on but whenever you're reading this what do u think

Here's the introductory video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cpWHJDLsqTU

Ubuntu touch tablet introductory video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h384z7Ph0gU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here's it on a galaxy nexus the woman who's presenting it is total fail but still gives a u gist if where its at
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUh4-nQVWIQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Another nexus demo but this 1 is way more in-depth and u get to see some more features
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le_q7RAAAnE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Another hands on
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO7QbCqFY7Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Another hands on
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYg2nGZxpsQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Here are the requirements
    This was found on canonicals website under the operators an OEMS section and may not necessarily reflect the specs needed to install the OS on a android phone
    First tick represents multi touch second represents desktop convergence
    5usegu4a.jpg

CANONICAL IS LOOKING FOR DEVELOPERS FOR THEIR CORE APPS

--Apps they listed were--

Calendar

Clock/Alarm Weather

Calculator

Email Client

RSS Reader

File Manager

Document Viewer

YouTube

Facebook

Twitter

Terminal

Account Manager

e9ygaqed.jpg

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO

Official Ubuntu Devices to hit shelves in October :eek: ALREADY! suck on that BlackBerry

www.redmondpie.com/first-ubuntu-phone-os-powered-devices-will-hit-shelves-this-october/

Are u eager to see this on your device or are u waiting?

If Ubuntu were to get support for android apps (I'm sure the devs here would work something out) what would be your stance then?

Do u see this OS having a chance?

Do u think a true open source OS can be profitable?

Do you think Ubuntu can topple 1 of the big boys

e4a9azeq.jpg

eqa6a7e4.jpg
    This post uses the patented TingTingin®™ method I would teach it to you but you are not yet worthy (come back in a hundred years)
    Pffft far to many 'unqualified' responses here. xda-developers is more like xda-whiners these days.

Anyone expecting a functional product from a developer preview is stupid - plain and simple. Anyone that whines because it has taken more than a couple of months to make it to beta (still a developer image by the way) is just plain irratating.

For me - epic win - the potential of a unified kernel accross platforms is a huge deal and this is what the majority of xda members (with absolutely no clue about software development and architecture) seem to be missing completely.

If you can't code, complie from source, port, debug, log, investigate and enjoy doing it then stay away from developer releases and topics and stop filling them with uneducated mewings demanding a final product and declaring the uselessness of something you don't really understand.

[/rant]
    chrisnk204

i think you are really missing the fact that open source and FOSS philosophy removes the need to even speak about "competing". quite simply any and all talk about FOSS "making a dent" is really not what its about. there is a huge thriving linux community that has existed for YEARS, decades in fact without Google or Android. In fact Google's Chrome browser, is nothing more than a branded fork of the project chromium that existed for years before google ever had any notion of putting out a browser. Its not about jumping in and competing. and if you dont like linux or ubuntu (personally im not a huge fan of ubuntu linux, i run straight debian builds) then use something else. there is no competition because linux and open source isnt about competing. its about the combined skills of many individuals making better and more perfect software solutions. the beauty of open source is that if an application is missing a feature or doesnt perform the way you like it, grab the source and make it better. thats your right. open source is the most user friendly software out there, why? becuase its the users that build it for themselves. linux has and will continue to exist without a market share. how many manufactures offer linux desktop machines? like none, and yet linux and ubuntu still thrive. if the casual user doesnt want ubuntu on their phone, fine dont have it. if someone tries it and doesnt like it, demand a refund, go ahead. ubuntu for phones is simply brilliant. it will, no matter what, expand the linux user base, expand the developer base, and contribute more dollars to an already freely developed software. will i use it? if its right for me. if its not, i will likely either find a fork that is, or in the debian speak "roll my own". The ubuntu software center has been around for quite a while. it wont take much for those applications to get running on the mobile side. the question as to if ubuntu phone is an epic win or epic fail, who cares? its free.
    I think it's going to be a epic win for developers but not sure about users.

When I was thinking about the future of this os, I thought these :
    2-3 months later:
    [KERNEL]Dual Boot Ubuntu & Android on your device

1 years later
    [HOW-TO]Run your Android apps on your ubuntu touch

2-3 years later:

[APP]Virtualbox for Ubuntu Touch Tablets [RUN WINDOWS RT INSIDE YOUR DEVICE]

4-5 years from now (I may be exeggerating :D ):

[HOW-TO]Compile CM for your device ON your device
    It's terrible. Eye candy is one thing, and novelty is fun. But from a user experience standpoint it's very bad. Bad clues, fingers in the way, paging through apps to dig through multitasking, awkward gestures like getting to the home screen. Controls places in hot zones for the swiping, low information density. The settings bar at the top is a train wreck of bad design. The list goes on. Give it time I suppose, but for now this is just an interactive slideshow concept piece.

You do realize it's a DEVELOPER preview, as in it's for developers to see how some of the apps and gestures work and to integrate their app experience into it, it's not made for anything else. The UX isn't complete and it will probably show hints the first time you set it up when it comes to the market, don't expect anything more from this than the most basic functionality.