[Q] [HELP] Ubuntu Touch 14.10 on Nexus 4

OP Diamond39

2nd July 2014, 09:45 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Previously i'm Italian so sorry for bad english.

Hi guys, I'm new in this forum and I'd like to install Ubuntu Touch 14.10 (utopic) on my Nexus 4, but I'm confused

Before the utopic release there were 2 .zip (trusty-preinstalled-touch-armel+mako.zip and trusty-preinstalled-touch-armhf.zip) and now in the "ubuntu-touch/daily-preinstalled/current" there is a tar.gz file.

Before of this I took the zips files, upload on CWM and install from there, but now? How how can I install the utopic-preinstalled-touch-i386.tar.gz?

I want install Ubuntu Touch as THE ONLY operative system, NO DUAL BOOT.

I use Windows and Android 4.3 (I read kitkat has problems with ubuntu touch).

Thanks a lot
2nd July 2014, 12:49 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,371

2,760 posts
More
I don't think there is a way to do it properly from Windows. The install instructions assume you're running a recent Ubuntu version on your PC.

However, you could try to install Ubuntu using the MultiROM Manager app, then delete Android and set Ubuntu as the default ROM in the recovery to skip the ROM selection screen. I can not guarantee you can boot into Ubuntu after deleting the Android ROM though.

Another way would be to run the desktop version of Ubuntu in a VM on your Windows machine and flash Ubuntu following the steps from the link above. Or you go a step further and setup your PC to dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows.

EDIT: Sadly, the possibility to install Ubuntu using zip files was removed some time ago. They're using img files now which cannot be flashed using CWM.
2nd July 2014, 11:37 PM   |  #3  
Flag Springfield Missouri
Thanks Meter: 116

303 posts
More
On your Windows Machine, install Virtual Box. Inside Virtual Box install Ubuntu...

Run the Ubuntu installation inside VB to install Ubuntu For Devices on your Nexus 4. Follow the Wiki: http://developer.ubuntu.com/start/ub...u-for-devices/
1st September 2014, 10:38 PM   |  #4  
Flag Echt
Thanks Meter: 35

246 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow

On your Windows Machine, install Virtual Box. Inside Virtual Box install Ubuntu...

Run the Ubuntu installation inside VB to install Ubuntu For Devices on your Nexus 4. Follow the Wiki: http://developer.ubuntu.com/start/ub...u-for-devices/

Unbelievable this is!

So many people will now not use it because they can't install it. It is such an extreme abnormal thing to install a different none mainstream operating system on your computer to flash the phone !

I was trying for 2 days now to install it but frustrations went out of control and I fist-punched the nexus 4 and as result a broken screen!

I will never ever again in my life even look at this OS!

(Sorry guys I'm so over frustrated!)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread