OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 289

1,234 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'm supposed to pick up an LG G2 today.
I'm coming from a Galaxy S3.
Anyways, is there a way to unlock the bootloader?
I'm a sucker for AOSP ROMs.

Sent from my D2LTE (D2VZW) using XDA app-developers app
Last edited by RBarnett09; 17th August 2014 at 07:56 PM.
17th August 2014, 07:36 PM   |  #2  
Flag Boise
Thanks Meter: 502

1,515 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBarnett09

I'm supposed to pick up an LG G2 today.
I'm coming from a Galaxy S3.
Anyways, is there a way to unlock the bootloader?

Nope. But the great devs here have found a way around that.
17th August 2014, 07:56 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta, GA

1,234 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by njstein

So how can I go about rooting and installing an AOSP ROM?

17th August 2014, 08:43 PM   |  #4  
Flag North East, MD
Thanks Meter: 817

3,038 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBarnett09

So how can I go about rooting and installing an AOSP ROM?

User ioroot25 or toweroot to root it, Autorec to install a recovery, have fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to mjones73 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th August 2014, 08:50 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 143

593 posts
Seeking clarity on LG G2 "customizability"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njstein

OK - I'm actually in the exact same situation as RBarnett09 - my Samsung GS3 just died - and I'm researching my replacement options. If I get a new LG G2 and it's already got vzw's "latest & greatest" firmware, I can still get root and/or unlock it to the point that I can I run CM11?

With the vzw GS3, the last couple of vzw OTAs locked things down too tight for AOSP (I avoided that crap but my hardware finally died).

Anyway, I just viewed a thread in the LG G2 dev section about setting up to run an LG 4.4.2 kernel binary on an unofficial CM11 build, but it doesn't say explicitly whether or not you're SOL if your phone is "current" from VZW's point of view. I gather that the factory KitKat release from LG is close enough to AOSP that the kernel will support custom (AOSP-based) ROMs (is that it?).

Are we better off finding a used LG G2, and if so, what version and date of firmware sucks the least? Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to bmeek For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th August 2014, 08:55 PM   |  #6  
Flag North East, MD
Thanks Meter: 817

3,038 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeek

OK - I'm actually in the exact same situation as RBarnett09 - my Samsung GS3 just died - and I'm researching my replacement options. If I get a new LG G2 and it's already got vzw's "latest & greatest" firmware, I can still get root and/or unlock it to the point that I can I run CM11?

With the vzw GS3, the last couple of vzw OTAs locked things down too tight for AOSP (I avoided that crap but my hardware finally died).

Anyway, I just viewed a thread in the LG G2 dev section about setting up to run an LG 4.4.2 kernel binary on an unofficial CM11 build, but it doesn't say explicitly whether or not you're SOL if your phone is "current" from VZW's point of view. I gather that the factory KitKat release from LG is close enough to AOSP that the kernel will support custom (AOSP-based) ROMs (is that it?).

Are we better off finding a used LG G2, and if so, what version and date of firmware sucks the least? Thanks.

Latest firmware is 24A - KitKat, it can be rooted and recovery installed using the method posted. Most of the AOSP roms work with that firmware and contain working kernels. A couple still only work with the JB firmware.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjones73 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th August 2014, 05:38 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta, GA

1,234 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeek

Yep. I'm actually coming from an S3 myself. I understand exactly what you were saying.

Sent from my VS980 4G
18th August 2014, 05:52 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta, GA

1,234 posts
Donate to Me
More
Just confirming that I used towelroot to successfully gain root and also successfully flashed TWRP custom recovery via autorec.
Pretty sweet gaining a full permanent root without even hooking my device up to a computer. Not to mention that no data was deleted.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my VS980 4G
19th August 2014, 02:24 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 5

23 posts
Use autorec

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Free mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread