Used Verizon G2 questions

Search This thread

ccross13126

Sep 29, 2012
I just picked up a used verizon G2 to use on the Straight Talk service. First issue. I pulled the sim card from my old straight talk phone and put it in the G2. It instantly said unknown sim but, when i restarted the phone i had service. Problem is, i still have the unknown sim icon and cant seem to use LTE. Second issue. im stuck on 4.4.2 because it will not allow me to download any system updates. Im hoping there is a way to manually update. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

elzeus

Jun 4, 2012
I just picked up a used verizon G2 to use on the Straight Talk service. First issue. I pulled the sim card from my old straight talk phone and put it in the G2. It instantly said unknown sim but, when i restarted the phone i had service. Problem is, i still have the unknown sim icon and cant seem to use LTE. Second issue. im stuck on 4.4.2 because it will not allow me to download any system updates. Im hoping there is a way to manually update. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you want to update hook up the phone to a windows pc and install the verizon software updater that is built into the flash memory when you plug it in. It will download and apply the Lolipop update. You should figure out what straight talk sim you have because it could be a verizon one, but most likely it's an at&t one so you'll need to edit your apn settings.

xtermmin

Mar 27, 2011
What provider is your Straight Talk SIM running off of? T-Mobile? AT&T?
The Verizon G2 only has LTE bands 4 and 13. B13 is Verizon-only, while B4 is used by multiple carriers.
If T-Moible, B4 is the primary band, but if you are in a rural area that TMO refarmed, LTE will be on B2 instead.
If AT&T, their primary LTE band is B5, but there are some select areas that have it on B4 also.

The "Unknown SIM" icon is because the Verizon ROM detects a non-Verizon SIM card. I'm sure there are ways to get rid of it via rooting, or just flash a custom ROM. If your Straight Talk is going through T-Mobile, there's a T-Mobile ROM in the dev forum that adds some TMO functionality like Wifi Calling.

ccross13126

Sep 29, 2012
I was able to upgrade to Lollipop using the verizon software and my pc so thanks for that!

The sim I am using is an AT&T straight talk sim. Do they have a sim just for verizon LTE networks?

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Free mobile app

xtermmin

Mar 27, 2011
I was able to upgrade to Lollipop using the verizon software and my pc so thanks for that!

The sim I am using is an AT&T straight talk sim. Do they have a sim just for verizon LTE networks?

For new lines, you can stick your phone's IMEI into ST's BYOP checker and if it checks out, you can order a Verizon LTE SIM. For existing lines, probably easier to just call up CS and ask.

ccross13126

Sep 29, 2012
I just ordered a verizon LTE sim card from straight talk. They transfered my number to a new sim once before, I'm sure they can do it again. If not, I can live with a new number to have a working phone again.

dragonflyr

Aug 11, 2010
I just ordered a verizon LTE sim card from straight talk. They transfered my number to a new sim once before, I'm sure they can do it again. If not, I can live with a new number to have a working phone again.

ccross13126, how did this all turn out? Are you able to use the verizon vs980 LG G2 on Straight Talk with 4g data speeds (using vzw towers)?

I am reading all kinds of conflicting stories. Some say it'll work, but 3g speeds only. BUT, it appears that MAYBE the VS980 can now use verizon 4g towers . . maybe in the last few months. Can you confirm? THANKS in advance. I have a rooted Verizon LG G2 (VS980) that I LOVE .. but i would really love to save a few $$$ and use Straight Talk. Thanks again.

emmittobie

Jun 17, 2009
ccross13126, how did this all turn out? Are you able to use the verizon vs980 LG G2 on Straight Talk with 4g data speeds (using vzw towers)?

I am reading all kinds of conflicting stories. Some say it'll work, but 3g speeds only. BUT, it appears that MAYBE the VS980 can now use verizon 4g towers . . maybe in the last few months. Can you confirm? THANKS in advance. I have a rooted Verizon LG G2 (VS980) that I LOVE .. but i would really love to save a few $$$ and use Straight Talk. Thanks again.

I am using the Straight Talk CDMA service on a few of my phones at the moment. I usually use a Nexus 6 but I had to send it in for a problem and have a Verizon LG G2 and a Verizon HTC M8. The sim card works on both of these phones at LTE speeds. At least in my area, Verizon still seems the most reliable for me. It might not be the fastest service but I don't have issues with missed texts and dropped calls like I do with some other services I have tried.

Hope this helps.