Update for Verizon

Search This thread

konradsa

Feb 22, 2013
Oh oh, my phone already downloaded a 422 MB large OTA. I don't dare to apply it, since I am rooted, although I guess the worst that can happen is that I lose root and can re-root it later. The changelog doesn't seem to be up yet, clicking on the link just take you to the Verizon homepage.

chairthrower

Aug 17, 2010
Oh oh, my phone already downloaded a 422 MB large OTA. I don't dare to apply it, since I am rooted, although I guess the worst that can happen is that I lose root and can re-root it later. The changelog doesn't seem to be up yet, clicking on the link just take you to the Verizon homepage.
My update was only about 71 MB. I had taken the 12A update previously though. I am glad to see this update, because it does seem to fix the cloud messaging issue. I received my Duo push no problem this afternoon on the WiFi in my office. Any ideas what else it might fix?

sbutera

Nov 28, 2010
I too noticed at 61.3 MB update. I haven't taken it yet because I'm at work without wifi. Hopefully, this is the fix for the IPv6 and receiving notifications via wifi.

jzmax22

Sep 23, 2010
Should I take it or wait to see if it gets rooted? I'm not rooted by the way.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

spk_xda

Dec 16, 2007
Verizon pulled the 12A update due to problems with it, so unless you got it before it was withdrawn, you won't get it. We're waiting on Verizon to push another OTA that fixes 12A's problems, and that will presumably go out to people on both 11A and 12A.
So, I am on 11A and when I checked whether any update is available manually, it mentioned that an update is available. I was not notified automatically and I have been using the phone for the past one month. Should I even try to update it since you guys are seeing issues? Thanks.

chairthrower

Aug 17, 2010
What is the software version number now?
VS98613B is the version number.

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

So, I am on 11A and when I checked whether any update is available manually, it mentioned that an update is available. I was not notified automatically and I have been using the phone for the past one month. Should I even try to update it since you guys are seeing issues? Thanks.
If you just checked today it should be the 13B update. Who knows if it's good or not, but it doesn't have the really bad bug that caused Verizon to pull the 12A patch.

Reactions: spk_xda and rfarrah

jzmax22

Sep 23, 2010
Downloading now, 422.1 MB. Version 13b.

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

Hopefully touchscreen issues are fixed and root shows up soon. Only time will tell.

konradsa

Feb 22, 2013
Does the old way of rooting work on 13B? If someone could try this out... and how is the touchscreen?!? :)

jzmax22

Sep 23, 2010
The old way is flashing a pre rooted image of 11a. I would not attempt this.

kuz420187

Nov 29, 2007
I started to download this update. At about half way I lost internet connection and the download stopped. Now on the software update screen it says failed with a code 409. It will not let me download it any further. I have even gone as far as wiping the cache on system update app, as well as cleaning the cache through the stock recovery. I am on stock 11a software after a soft brick weeks ago. Any ideas?

rfarrah

May 30, 2008
OKC
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
I started to download this update. At about half way I lost internet connection and the download stopped. Now on the software update screen it says failed with a code 409. It will not let me download it any further. I have even gone as far as wiping the cache on system update app, as well as cleaning the cache through the stock recovery. I am on stock 11a software after a soft brick weeks ago. Any ideas?

Rebooted?

jzmax22

Sep 23, 2010
Mine said that, then I just checked for an again and it loaded.

rustypie

Aug 2, 2014
Joplin
OTA File

Hey all,

Whether this is worth anything to anyone or not, here is the dlpkgfile from the 13b OTA. I downloaded this but have not installed the update as I am rooted. I plan on flashing the stock 12A system image, taking the 13b ota, injecting root into the 13b system image then flashing the rooted 13b system. For now, and before I lose it, here is the 13b file in a rar archive. It's hosted on my personal web server so it may or may not become unavailable due to bandwidth issues.....

The MD5 of the actual file inside the archive is 060592efb10ad4d0730986387f5d38b9

http://computer-e-sources.com/vs986/dlpkgfile_13b.rar

Last edited:
Reactions: AnDDreas52

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
I guess I never realized how bad the touchscreen was on 11A until I installed this. Christ, this thing feels like a brand new phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can confirm root injection DOES work with 13B. I am running it now. I'm working on integrating some ported V10 system apps into the system image as well as removing a bunch of bloatware from the system partition and making a stock rooted debloated 13B system image.......

Talking about this http://xdaforums.com/g4/general/lg-g4-100-root-success-directives-root-t3180586

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Nice, thanks for taking the plunge. Please let us know asap if root injection works. Fingers crossed!
    This is moderately exciting, as bad as this is for us. I'm sure you mentioned this site and the huge number of people who are (unrooted) having this problem. Very very interested to hear what they have to say.
    At first, they did kind of try and give me the deal of how its an individual, just my phone, issue problem.

I absolutely mentioned this forum and how multitudes of people are complaining of the problem. I also told both reps that I am passing every piece of information given to me along to this community.

---------- Post added at 02:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

Update:
    Verizon rep called me back. Basically told me that it is a waiting game to hear back from LG. It is LGs problem. He got the problem escalated to LGs higher ups. His email address was attached to the escalation so LG will be contacting him directly with an answer. He told me I will be the first to know what their response is.

Verizon tech also gave me his own phone number so I can contact him with any information LG provides me and vise versa.

That being said, when I briefly spoke to the LG rep that called me asking about my phone information, he DID say someone at LG will be contacting me "in a bit." I am still waiting for that call.
    I spoke to a Verizon rep yesterday about the notification issue associated with the 12a update. She put me on with an lg rep, who told me that there is no fix for this issue and that the 6.0 update would roll out to our device by the end of Oct. Not sure how much truth there is to this, but that's what I was told.

End of Oct from LG....Next year probably before Verizon gives it its blessing and pushes out to us...
    UPDATE: LG contacted me.

The representative stated that it is not LG's problem. They are confident that the issue lies with the developer of the software (Google) and the carrier (Verizon.) The representative stated that it is Google whom develops the updates for the device. Once those updates have been made, they are then handed to the carrier whom pushes the update out and does what it wants with it. LG is only the maker of the phone, they stated, and once the phone is released they have no part in developing updates for that device.

And so the circle continues....

Google and Verizon (again) will be contacted by me.

---------- Post added at 03:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------

UPDATE: LG contacted me.

The representative stated that it is not LG's problem. They are confident that the issue lies with the developer of the software (Google) and the carrier (Verizon.) The representative stated that it is Google whom develops the updates for the device. Once those updates have been made, they are then handed to the carrier whom pushes the update out and does what it wants with it. LG is only the maker of the phone, they stated, and once the phone is released they have no part in developing updates for that device.

And so the circle continues....

Google and Verizon (again) will be contacted by me.

Alright, contacted another level 2 Verizon tech....

The tech told me Verizon absolutely knows of the problem but he did find a piece of information stating the developer is working on a fix for the problem. Basically, he was meaning Google. There is no time frame stated for when the fix will take place.

I asked him when our G4's get updated to 6.0 if that could be the possible fix and he said it could be possible but he was not sure. I countered by asking when the 6.0 update will take place...no time frame given.

I also asked him about why Verizon limited the features of our phones. As everyone is aware, our Verizon phones do not have the features that other providers give (Smart settings, etc.) I went further by stating there is no doubt Verizon obviously messes with the software Google provides them or else we would have access to those features. So could it be possible that it is Verizon's tweaking of the update, to suit Verizon's wants, be the cause of the problem. And further, if in that piece of information stating there is a fix, could it be the developers at VERIZON working on the fix.

He couldn't really give an explanation why Verizon limits features nor if the "developer" mentioned is Google or Verizon.

That said....HIIII GOOGLE! :)
    So it's confirmed you can roll back?

I didn't see anyone make a correction on this... DO NOT TRY TO INSTALL THE 11A KDZ IF YOU UPDATED TO 12A. You will hard brick, indeed. It seems that the new boot version for 12a is "v2".

The original user who created that rooted 12a system image tried it and bricked. Flashing the wrong system.img for your bootstack (a 12a system on a 11a bootloader, etc) doesn't brick, just fails to boot - and you can easily correct by reflashing the correct system for whatever bootloader you have. But rolling back by KDZ will run afoul of anti-rollback.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=63290800&postcount=90

autoprime offers a solution in that post however. If you have 12a, you can apparently get back to 11a by flashing both the system.img and the boot.img. I don't know if this works in reverse, too? Edit: he stated it should, I overlooked that part of his post. What I'm most interested in is if I can flash the system and boot images to be on different OTAs while retaining my ability for a bootloader unlock... I've been staying on 10b for that reason.