To UPDATE from 4.3 JB to 4.4.2 KK (NC2 Leak) go to
How To Update From JB 4.3 To KK 4.4.2 On Verizon RETAIL NOTE
Go To Bottom Of OP
This is a compilation of instructions that I used on my SM-N900V Verizon Note 3... This process was BY FAR the EASIEST I've ever used!
* * *Verified Knox 0x0* * * developer option (click 'BASE Version' in 'About Phone' 7 times to UNHIDE Developer Option) also verify UNKNOWN SOURCES is CHECKED & Verify Apps is Unchecked in system settings>security[/B][/COLOR][/I].
On PC, go to CONTROL PANEL > Install/Uninstall Programs > uninstall ALL Samsung drivers
Download & Install Samsung Drivers To Your PC
Samsung USB drivers (click “see all downloads”)
* * * ATTN: PRIOR to flashing a Rom built on MJE update, you should be running MJE (take OTA update or install MJE tar via Odin) then reroot via Kingo/Vroot, install Safestrap * * *
EASY Steps To Update To MJE: (Factory Stock)
- Download MJE tar file from Beanstown106's Firmware Collection Thread
- Flash MJE tar in Odin (for added safety, REMOVE sdcard) For DETAILED Odin instructions click HERE
- Go To Install Kingo (Google Kingo root 1.1.5 or 1.1.6 download) or Vroot (Google Vroot)
FOR ROOT PRIVILEGES- Install KINGO/Vroot
***Kingo 1.2 is having issues Rooting MJE Firmware, Google Kingo 1.1.5 or .6 OR see HERE, OR use Vroot***
I used the Kingo root app - links to Kingo are not currently allowed on XDA but it's very easy to search and find. It's just like a "one click" toolkit - meaning it's a no-brain operation. Download the app and follow the instructions. Currently Kingo & Vroot are the only known methods to root the MJ7/MJE builds for the Verizon Note 3 so it's one of these or no root for you. IF ROOT FAILS, KEEP TRYING (it took me 3 attempts)
TIP- make sure display timeout is set for 10 minutes & temporarily disable PC anti-virus (thanks RypeDub for the catch)
***If Kingo fails to root your device after several attempts: Try Vroot (some users reported success with Vroot after Kingo failed ROOT)
INSTALL SAFESTRAP RECOVERY (NO LONGER SUPPORTED BY HASHCODE)
Once you're ROOTED head over here: [RECOVERY LOCKED] Safestrap Recovery & download the latest APK see BELOW for which version. Open the Safestrap app in your app drawer and install the app, then open Safestrap and click "install recovery" in the app (The following directions are from Safestrap OP).
Safestrap 3.65 is last STABLE 4.3 JB version, 3.72 is for KK w/o rom slot support, 3.75 is Beta and is for KK w/ rom slot support
HOW TO UPGRADE SAFESTRAP
*To REVERT from newer version to older version, follow same steps swapping old file for new file*
-Push the APK to your sdcard (get latest SS.apk HERE)-THX Hashcode!
-Boot back into the "stock" rom-slot.
-OPEN your old Safestrap app and hit the "Uninstall Recovery" button
-THEN, open a "file explorer" (even TW "My Files" will work)
-Browse to where you pushed the New / old APK
-Click on it and install like a normal app (if install not successful, UNINSTALL old Safestrap app like any other app, THEN install new SS.apk)
-Once installed, open the SS APK
-Grant SU access
-THEN hit "Install Recovery" button
All set, now you can reboot and re-activate whatever rom-slot you were using
INSTALLING CHAINFIRE'S SUPERSU OVER KINGO SUPERSU
Next install a trusted, open source SuperSU app on your device since the Kingo root method is closed source (optional, but highly recommended). Download the latest SuperSU zip - instructions in Chainfire's XDA Thread (download to sd card or from PLAY).
Reboot your device (DO NOT REBOOT INTO RECOVERY), at the Safestrap splash screen - choose "Recovery"... Once in Safestrap, go to your stock rom slot by clicking "Boot Options" and ensuring it says "stock slot" in RED at the top of the screen. If it says anything other than stock, tap the stock slot button and click "activate" on the following page. Hit back to return to the Recovery main menu. Once confirmed you're on your stock slot, tap install and flash the new SuperSU zip (no wipes necessary). Once that's done, tap reboot system.
ROOT Privileges ONLY
If you ONLY want root privileges and NOT the recovery or the ability to flash ROMS, you can UNINSTALL Safestrap after flashing SuperSU, you will ONLY have root privileges: ***NO recovery and NO ability to flash ROMS*** After flashing SuperSU, reboot, choose "Continue" at splash screen, find Safestrap app in App Drawer and uninstall like any other app.
You're now completely done updating to MJE, Rooting your device, adding a stable Recovery & installing a trusted SuperSU application. Now, enjoy installing ROMs using Safestrap [SS]
***NOTE: When rebooting your device, you have to option to CONTINUE to your current ROM, or enter RECOVERY (Safestrap) after several seconds CONTINUE is the default action. If you are booting to your STOCK Slot you will see SAFESTRAP DISABLED this is NORMAL. When booting to slots 1-4 you will see SAFESTRAP ENABLED this is also NORMAL***
CREATING VIRTUAL ROMS SLOTS *NOT SUPPORTED IN SS 3.72 YET*
1. Reboot Device
2. Select Recovery at SS splash screen
3. Select Boot Options
4. Select one of the rom slots [1-4]
5. Adjust partition sizes if necessary [The average user can leave the partitions as is, if you are an app intensive user, increase DATA partition up to 4 gb MAX]
*NOTE: the larger you make the partitions of a Rom Slot, the less room you will have for remaining slots)
6. Select the Create ROM button (takes a minute)
7. Once the ROM slot has been created, browse back to BOOT OPTIONS.
8. Ensure the Rom Slot you want to flash is highlighted in GREEN at top of screen
9. Select Install
10. Browse to the ROM .zip you downloaded
SWITCHING BETWEEN ROM SLOTS
1. Reboot Device
2. Select Recovery at SS splash screen
3. Select Boot Options
4. Select the Rom Slot you want to activate
5. Select Activate
6. Confirm the Rom Slot you just Activated shows at top of screen (GREEN for slots 1-4, RED for Stock Slot)
7. Browse back to Menu
8. Select Reboot
How To Flash Daily Driver Into Stock Rom Slot
1. Back up Stock Rom in Stock Slot to sdcard (optional)
2. Restore back up Stock Rom to open ROM slot 1-4 (optional)
3. Boot from restored slot to ensure functionality (optional)
4. Factory Reset for a clean install OR if upgrading same Rom you can DIRTY FLASH by clicking ADVANCED WIPE: check dalvik, cache, system (remember no dev support for "dirty flash")
5. Flash/Restore Daily Driver Rom to Stock Slot (Read the warning about flashing onto Stock Rom Slot, then forget about it
To Have Access To ALL Your Device Storage (FREE UP STORAGE) Go To Step 6
6. Delete un-used ROM slots 1-4 (you can only delete a ROM from the activated slot, the empty, unactivated slot remains)
7. Boot into Rom on Stock slot
8. Enjoy.This will give you access to ALL of your device's storage capacity (remember when booting into stock slot, Safestrap will say DISABLED, this is normal)
A Few Things To Consider When Using Multiple Rom Slots:
You can flash roms in slots 1-4 and stock slot. Activate whichever slot you'd like to boot to the next time, and your specific rom to upgrade, test, whatever comes up at boot. Ready to switch back to another rom, activate THAT rom slot, reboot to your next rom...This is the TRUE MAGIC of Safestrap; Daily driver in stock slot, test Rom in slot 1, Stock Rom in slot 2, boot into ANY rom simply by activating THAT rom slot!
Realize each rom slot has a max limit for data partition and system partition. If you are an app intensive user or like seeing an accurate reading of your internal and ext storage, I'd reco putting your daily driver on the stock slot (backup stock rom, keep on sdcard, flash daily driver in stock slot)...
If you like running multiple roms (skip step 5 above), when you activate a rom on slots 1-4, your int and ext memory will NOT read accurately, and you will be limited on how much storage you have on each slot. Use File Manager (ES File Explorer) if you want/need an accurate reading of remaining storage
Flashing your DD on the stock slot gives you access to ALL the int and ext memory, and ALL memory is properly reported.
WHAT YOU DO WITH YOUR DEVICE IS COMPLETELY YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY
Step- 1 - Root Device with TowelRoot courtesy of geohot
Step- 2 - Install Busybox from play store and install busybox itself
Step- 3 - Install Safestrap 3.75 courtesy of Hashcode (NO LONGER SUPPORTED BY HASHCODE)
Step- 4 - Boot into Safestrap, Select Stock Slot
Step- 5 - Wipe Data, Use Factory Reset Slider
Step- 6 - Install the latest Alliance ROM courtesy of the Alliance Crew
Step- 7 - Reboot into Download mode From Safestrap (DON'T hit reboot, hit back arrow twice, hit REBOOT, choose DOWNLOAD)
Step- 8 - Unzip & Install In ODIN This NC2 Kernel .tar courtesy of Beanstown106
XDA user barrackOBAMA confirmed these instructions work!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Hashcode's [RECOVERY LOCKED] SafeStrap:
Roms I've Had Great Experiences With
Beantown106's [ROM][4.3][MJE]Jelly 'Beans' AOSP/KitKat
Alliance Crew's [ROM] AllianceROM
nitroglycerine33's [ROM] Eclipse AOSP
sbreen94's [ROM][4.3] Hyperdrive
Brandonrz's [ROM]-N.E.O.N. R.O.M
Helps & Guides
DutchDogg54's Firmware / Guide
Beanstown106's [Firmware][Collection] Modems, kernels, Stock Tars
Remember to SUPPORT THE DEVS who allow you to enjoy your ROOTED, Custom N3!
Please click THANKS and RATE this thread if it was helpful! Thanks!