FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

VZW Note 3 N900V Fully Functional on T-Mobile 4G lte (band 4)

286 posts
Thanks Meter: 91

By newuser134, Senior Member on 24th December 2013, 10:29 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST.

Hi everyone,

Finally managed to do what I was trying to accomplish on my VZW Galaxy S3 for almost a year.

I'm not sure if anyone else has already accomplished this or not. If anyone has, then sorry about the duplicate post (even though I haven't found any posts specifically describing how to do it).

It took me some research to see that both t-mobile and vzw run on band 4 block f (1700mhz-f), so I thought they should both be able to tune to the same lte band. Even though I was able to get H+ from a t-mobile prepaid sim to work on the vzw note 3, I was still not completely satisfied, so I kept at it till lte finally worked too.

I do give credit to the thread about "All things service mode" which described how to enable the service mode menu and then how to turn on lte band 4.

This DOES confirm that by turning on lte band 4 under service menu, it does really turn on, no firmware update is required to enable the additional layer of the lte band.

It's almost 4 a.m. so I'll get to the details a little later, but just wanted to post this as soon as I got it working, I know it'll make lots of people happy.

I got 28 mbps down and 6 mbps up on t-mobile where I get about 8m and 2m with vzw lte, respectively.

Look at the screen shots below. I did a little research and was able to get that annoying "non-Verizon sim" warning off too, but credit for that goes to someone else here on xda, I didn't figure that out, I will just relay that here for a one stop shop on how to use a t-mobile or other GSM sims in the vzw version. I will link to that post later when I have more time. Anyway, see below and let me know of your thoughts, I will add more details later.

DIRECTIONS:

Do this at your own risk, if any anything goes wrong, don't blame me for it. Make a nandroid backup before you start. To get 4G lte to work on t-mobile, and to remove the continuous sim warning, you'll have to be rooted. Just to get 4G hspa+ to work, you don't need root, but you'll have the annoying sim reminder/warning in your notification all the time.
  1. Go to settings>more settings>mobile networks>network mode and change to "Global" mode. Also turn off your mobile data at this point.

2. Turn off your phone and replace your vzw sim w/ a t-mobile sim with prepaid or postpaid 4G service. Turn the phone back on. When it has finished booting up, you should have basic gsm service on t-mobile, you'll get a warning about a non-Verizon sim, don't worry about that right now, it won't hurt anything.

3. Now if you want t-mobile 4G lte and you have root, follow the thread for All things "ServiceMode" related to turn on lte band 4 through service mode. Restart the phone after enabling lte band 4.

4. Go to "mobile networks>access point names" under more settings, click the "+" on the bottom to add an apn, call it T-Mobile LTE and type "fast.t-mobile.com" without the quotes under APN. Leave everything else blank (you can add some of the other stuff later if you want to get picture messaging to work). Click the menu button and hit save. Once you're out, make sure you click on the green radial button to select the new APN you just created.

5. Now exit settings and turn on your mobile data. Give it a minute. You should get the 4G lte symbol after a little bit. You may have to restart the phone once for it to work.

If you're not in a good t-mobile 4G lte coverage area and just want the traditional hspa+ option, follow the same steps, but DO NOT enable lte band 4, and instead use "epc.tmobile.com" for apn. This way you won't need to be rooted. If you are already rooted and did enable lte B4, just switch the phone to gsm/umts mode under network mode, that will disable lte.

Now if you want to go the extra mile and remove the sim warning, get Titanium Backup from Play Store and freeze the app "Setup Wizard", the app with the "magic wand" above the red "check mark". You'll have to be rooted to do that.

If you follow similar steps, you can also get AT&T hspa+ to work, obviously with an AT&T sim and AT&T apn settings ("pta" for the apn, but AT&T has their lte on a different band, so you can't get AT&T 4G lte to work on this phone. For their hspa+, the steps are the same as for t-mobile hspa+, except for the actual apn settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Main Screen w 4G 2013-12-24.png.jpg
Views:	14545
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	2471963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Notification Bar 2013-12-24.png.png
Views:	15194
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	2471964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Network Details 2013-12-24.jpg
Views:	15519
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	2471965   Click image for larger version

Name:	HSPA+ 2013-12-24.png.jpg
Views:	14118
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	2472001   Click image for larger version

Name:	HSPA+ Network Details 2013-12-24.jpg
Views:	14619
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	2472015  
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to newuser134 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift newuser134 Ad-Free

24th December 2013, 12:00 PM |#2  
Flag Nashville
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by newuser134

Hi everyone,

Finally managed to do what I was trying to accomplish on my VZW Galaxy S3 for almost a year.

I'm not sure if anyone else has already accomplished this or not. If anyone has, then sorry about the duplicate post (even though I haven't found any posts specifically describing how to do it).

It took me some research to see that both t-mobile and vzw run on band 4 block f (1700mhz-f), so I thought they should both be able to tune to the same lte band. Even though I was able to get H+ from a t-mobile prepaid sim to work on the vzw note 3, I was still not completely satisfied, so I kept at it till lte finally worked too.

I do give credit to the thread about "All things service mode" which described how to enable the service mode menu and then how to turn on lte band 4.

This DOES confirm that by turning on lte band 4 under service menu, it does really turn on, no firmware update is required to enable the additional layer of the lte band.

It's almost 4 a.m. so I'll get to the details a little later, but just wanted to post this as soon as I got it working, I know it'll make lots of people happy.

I got 28 mbps down and 6 mbps up on t-mobile where I get about 8m and 2m with vzw lte, respectively.

Look at the screen shots below. I did a little research and was able to get that annoying "non-Verizon sim" warning off too, but credit for that goes to someone else here on xda, I didn't figure that out, I will just relay that here for a one stop shop on how to use a t-mobile or other GSM sims in the vzw version. I will link to that post later when I have more time. Anyway, see below and let me know of your thoughts, I will add more details later.

Wow! Nice! I'm actually considering dumping verizon along with my unlimited data as Verion's network in my area (Nashville-Bellevue, TN) has progressively gotten worse over time. I used to get 3-4 bars with 4-10 Mbps down about a year and a half ago to 2-3 bars with 0.5-3 Mbps these past few months; now this past week, It's dropped to only 1 bar, and I can barely load google.com, I can't even run speed tests anymore. Verizon just told me that service in my neighborhood fluctuates and told me to purchase a $300 network extender..

Please tell me how you were able to get this.. I've already enabled Band 4 LTE on my phone hoping Nashville would have verizon's new AWS spectrum, but nothing yet. I'm sick of Verizon and I think I am ready for change, would definitely love to test this out on prepaid before I make my final decision.

The Following User Says Thank You to waleed300 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift waleed300 Ad-Free
25th December 2013, 01:07 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 77

More
Is there a particular reason you wouldn't want to just get the t mobile version note 3 (unlock able bootloader). Perhaps I'm missing something but is there any benefit to the Verizon version. Now I would love to get the t mobile phone working on Verizon on the other hand.
25th December 2013, 02:14 AM |#4  
New York City
Thanks Meter: 365

More
Since the device is factory unlocked for operation on GSM US carriers, of course it'll work on T-Mobile as they're transmitting LTE on Band 4.
It's been discussed here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=221 but keep in mind that Verizon Note 3 variant doesn't support T-Mobile's main 3G/Voice/HSPA+42 frequency which is AWS (2100/1700). It does support T-Mobile's secondary HSPA+21 in the PCS band, which is also where their GSM/EDGE services reside.

No hacking is necessary unless your device doesn't have Band 4 turned on (for some reason). My device came with Band 4 enabled, but it came with the latest radio as well...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to milan03 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift milan03 Ad-Free
25th December 2013, 02:43 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by milan03

Since the device is factory unlocked for operation on GSM US carriers, of course it'll work on T-Mobile as they're transmitting LTE on Band 4.
It's been discussed here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=221 but keep in mind that Verizon Note 3 variant doesn't support T-Mobile's main 3G/Voice/HSPA+42 frequency which is AWS (2100/1700). It does support T-Mobile's secondary HSPA+21 in the PCS band, which is also where their GSM/EDGE services reside.

No hacking is necessary unless your device doesn't have Band 4 turned on (for some reason). My device came with Band 4 enabled, but it came with the latest radio as well...

I wasn't really saying anything about any hacking, but mine did not come with lte band 4 enabled, I'm guessing a lot of other people's Note 3's probably don't either.

Also, I'm not that surprised or exited that it works with their 1900 mhz hspa+, but I wasn't expecting the t-mobile version of lte to work with a cdma phone's lte. And it didn't right off the start, it required a little tweak to the apn setting. Anyway, it may be obvious to those who know about lte bands, but the average user may not be aware of that, so I thought I'd post this so people could use this thread to use the t-mobile prepaid plans on their vzw Note 3 if they wanted to.

Please look at the first post for directions to be added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyOrDie

Is there a particular reason you wouldn't want to just get the t mobile version note 3 (unlock able bootloader). Perhaps I'm missing something but is there any benefit to the Verizon version. Now I would love to get the t mobile phone working on Verizon on the other hand.

The reason is a lot of people who want to have the option to be on the Verizon network because it has very good coverage compared to the other carriers, also want to be able to use it on a GSM carrier's network, such as t-mobile, because they have unlimited or cheaper lte plans, however, Verizon is a cdma carrier, and it is usually not possible to get a GSM phone, even if it is unlocked, to work on a cdma network, so buying a t-mobile version would only allow it to work on t-mobile, not on Verizon, but the Verizon version works on both. Also, if it works on the t-mobile pcs band H+, it will work on overseas gsm carriers' networks, so local sims from there could be used for those who travel there and have Verizon, as opposed to expensive roaming charges. Hope that explains it and answers your questions.
25th December 2013, 02:55 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by milan03

but keep in mind that Verizon Note 3 variant doesn't support T-Mobile's main 3G/Voice/HSPA+42 frequency which is AWS (2100/1700).

For those who have the Dev Edition Verizon Note 3, do you think flashing a t-mobile baseband (modem) or a modified "hybrid" modem would enable the AWS band for hspa+ 42? I'm basically asking if you think the SM-N900V version Note 3 has native support for the AWS band even though it may not be enabled for Verizon, since it must have the 1700 mhz antenna if it has lte band 4? I know lte and wcdma are different, but as far as RF goes, the ability to receive 1700 mhz is already there. That would be kinda like the original att Note that had support for AWS but had to have a t-mobile modem flashed before it was enabled. As I've heard, the DE Verizon Note 3 is very similar to the t-mobile Note 3, at least for roms and kernels.
25th December 2013, 03:03 AM |#7  
New York City
Thanks Meter: 365

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by newuser134

For those who have the Dev Edition Verizon Note 3, do you think flashing a t-mobile baseband (modem) or a modified "hybrid" modem would enable the AWS band for hspa+ 42? I'm basically asking if you think the SM-N900V version Note 3 has native support for the AWS band even though it may not be enabled for Verizon, since it must have the 1700 mhz antenna if it has lte band 4? I know lte and wcdma are different, but as far as RF goes, the ability to receive 1700 mhz is already there. That would be kinda like the original att Note that had support for AWS but had to have a t-mobile modem flashed before it was enabled. As I've heard, the DE Verizon Note 3 is very similar to the t-mobile Note 3, at least for roms and kernels.

That is a very interesting topic especially if we consider that AWS transceiver and signal path already exists. If we look at the FCC antenna diagram for SM-N900V we can see that B4 antenna is shared with CDMA at the top left corner, which could indicate that would be B4 UMTS path as although it's not displayed since the B4 UMTS certification hasn't been requested by Verizon.

Left side is the B4 Rx diversity required for LTE MIMO operation, and at the right side is B4 dedicated Tx which is a nice touch.

This is what's been tested and certified for btw:

You could always try, but obviously be prepared for it not to work, etc...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to milan03 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift milan03 Ad-Free
26th December 2013, 08:07 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by waleed300

Wow! Nice! I'm actually considering dumping verizon along with my unlimited data as Verion's network in my area (Nashville-Bellevue, TN) has progressively gotten worse over time. I used to get 3-4 bars with 4-10 Mbps down about a year and a half ago to 2-3 bars with 0.5-3 Mbps these past few months; now this past week, It's dropped to only 1 bar, and I can barely load google.com, I can't even run speed tests anymore. Verizon just told me that service in my neighborhood fluctuates and told me to purchase a $300 network extender..

Please tell me how you were able to get this.. I've already enabled Band 4 LTE on my phone hoping Nashville would have verizon's new AWS spectrum, but nothing yet. I'm sick of Verizon and I think I am ready for change, would definitely love to test this out on prepaid before I make my final decision.

if you decide to dump verizon unlimited data let me know so I can assume your line. Ill even pay you a pretty penny since most of us know these have value on ebay.
2nd January 2014, 06:10 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumyahoo

if you decide to dump verizon unlimited data let me know so I can assume your line. Ill even pay you a pretty penny since most of us know these have value on ebay.

I'll sell you my unlimited VZW line for literally $0.01
Contract is up in the 2nd week of this February...And I'm doing this exact thing with my N3. In fact, I already have the TMO SIM for $30/mo plan activated and tested it all out today.
I don't know if you can assume liability of a line once the contract is up, since it would be month-2-month at that point, but if it's possible, I'd let mine go for a penny.
2nd January 2014, 07:49 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlz28

I'll sell you my unlimited VZW line for literally $0.01
Contract is up in the 2nd week of this February...And I'm doing this exact thing with my N3. In fact, I already have the TMO SIM for $30/mo plan activated and tested it all out today.
I don't know if you can assume liability of a line once the contract is up, since it would be month-2-month at that point, but if it's possible, I'd let mine go for a penny.

PMed
3rd January 2014, 12:01 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 201

More
Will this work the other way around a T Mobile Note 3 working on verizon with LTE functioning?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)