Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[How-To] Update to N900V_NK1 - 4.4.4 and Keep Root

26th January 2015, 06:35 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,513

1,706 posts
Donate to Me
I have noticed that many have been willing to take the NK1 4.4.4 update and give up root access. Therefore I am putting this out there for those that have not done so but are considering doing so if they are able to keep root.

The following process will allow you to update to NK1 4.4.4 and keep root. However once updated to NK1 you will not be able to downgrade back to 4.4.2. If you screw something up after updating, e.g. while performing a mod, and have to flash back to stock you will permanently lose root access (unless an exploit is found in the future)! Additionally, Safestrap will not function on 4.4.4. With that said I believe all of you are capable of making your own decision as to whether or not to proceed at your own risk!

Instructions:
1. Extract the N900V_NK1_Stock_Rooted_Backup folder from the .rar and place that folder into your Safestrap backups folder, i.e: ext-sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/xxxxxx (the name of your Safestrap backups folder may vary. If a backups folder does not already exist you must first create a backup using Safestrap's "Backup" function before proceeding).
2. Use Safestrap's Backup Function to back-up User Data.
3. Perform an "Advanced Wipe" and wipe everything but your ext-sdcard.
4. From the main menu press "Restore" and restore the N900V_NK1_Stock_Rooted_Backup.
5. Once complete press the back button twice to access your backups again and restore User Data.
6. Last, from the main menu press "Reboot," reboot into "Download" mode and flash the N900V_NK1_Stock_Partitions using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).

Changelog: http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/s...e-3-1-7-15.pdf

Notes:
1. The above process will not affect your User Data or Knox Warranty Flag.
2. This process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, Stock Recovery, and Bootloader to NK1.
3. Safestrap will no longer function after updating to NK1 4.4.4
4. To update to factory stock(unrooted) NK1 flash the N900VVRUDNK1_N900VVZWDNK1_N900VVRUDNK1_HOME.tar using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
5. When flashing the kernel the most common cause of an Odin flash failure is a bad usb port or cable. Please check before reporting a failed flash!
Last edited by muniz_ri; 8th March 2015 at 09:36 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to muniz_ri For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th January 2015, 05:42 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 5

64 posts
Could anyone confirm if this works?
29th January 2015, 05:34 AM   |  #3  
Flag Payson, UT
Thanks Meter: 35

283 posts
More
Everyone is too scared to try haha! I am sorry, but I will not do anything to my device unless there is an exploit found. Verizon and Samsung, just go away...
29th January 2015, 06:26 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

1,706 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by vazersecurity

Everyone is too scared to try haha! I am sorry, but I will not do anything to my device unless there is an exploit found. Verizon and Samsung, just go away...

There is no need to apologize, everyone should make their own decisions based on their own criteria. But this is an option for those that choose to take it.
Last edited by muniz_ri; 29th January 2015 at 03:17 PM.
29th January 2015, 04:01 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 2

9 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri

There is no need to apologize, everyone should make their own decisions based on their own criteria. But this is an option for those that choose to take it.

is not work my friend , am going try with NC4 , Kernel Unified_KK_Firmware
The Following User Says Thank You to jmontalvo248 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th January 2015, 06:09 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

1,706 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontalvo248

is not work my friend , am going try with NC4 , Kernel Unified_KK_Firmware

If you are talking about downgrading you are right and someone else already confirmed that you cannot downgrade the kernel to NC4 after updating to 4.4.4. This thread is for those that have not yet updated to 4.4.4.
Last edited by muniz_ri; 29th January 2015 at 06:16 PM.
29th January 2015, 10:07 PM   |  #7  
Flag Arizona
Thanks Meter: 113

895 posts
More
The VPN data disconnects would be enough to throw $20 to make sure this works. Can tell you how annoying that is when working from my phone.
30th January 2015, 01:36 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

1,706 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosit1

The VPN data disconnects would be enough to throw $20 to make sure this works. Can tell you how annoying that is when working from my phone.

Putting a stock ROM together is rather straightforward so I'm pretty certain it works. And it's been downloaded 65 times so I suspect people are using it but for some reason choose to remain anonymous which is fine. But it would be nice to hear from someone that has tried it. Also, no donations are required but thank you nonetheless.
1st February 2015, 07:38 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 3

4 posts
More
My safestrap (Safestrap-HLTEVZW-NC2-3.75-B04.apk) does not permit me to backup or restore anything. Can I perform the upgrade with wiping my user data?
1st February 2015, 06:14 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

1,706 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedpos

My safestrap (Safestrap-HLTEVZW-NC2-3.75-B04.apk) does not permit me to backup or restore anything. Can I perform the upgrade with wiping my user data?

Sounds like there is a problem with your current installation of safestrap. Since safestrap is critical to this process I recommend that you reinstall safestrap or even consider reflashing NC4 and safestrap before proceeding.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread