Note 4, Nexus 6 or ... I phone 6 plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

veli69

Jan 13, 2008
I have been a long time android user (windows mobile before that, palm before that). I love the flexibility of the platform. I love using my phone to do things that historically you need a pc to do. (usenet,movies,bittorent, now chromecast)

That being said while I enjoy the Note 3 and Android as a whole I find the flexibility I loved about android (roms,kernels,etc) is slowly going away with locked boot loaders. The note 3 has had the least developer support of any android phone I have had to date (HTC incredible, galaxy nexus, gs3)

In addition because of the number and variety of android devices the accessories for Android devices are generally less quality and slower to market then the Iphone. My galaxy nexus never got a proper car dock.

So now I am faced with a hard question. If I am forced to buy a phone with a locked bootloader I might aswell get a I phone (and jail break it). Because there are only 2 models of Iphone the dev support is much more focused. The accessory market is better etc, car integration.

Is any one else in the situation. Right now I am debating the nexus 6 (dual speakers unlocked bootloader) and the Iphone 6 plus. With the next HTC one max on the list if that is ever announced.

Is anyone else in the same boat.

*obviously everyone experience with android will be different*

pez910

Feb 23, 2011
It kinda sounds like you've answered your own question already.

In my experience, every Nexus has been terrible for accessory support. Remember that dock that was supposed to release very soon after the 1st gen Nexus 7? And didn't show up until right before or right after the 2nd gen Nexus 7 came out? Yeah. The Galaxy Nexus had some pretty mediocre accessory support, too. It got a Commuter and Defender, and in like two colors.

The one Android phone I had that had awesome accessory support was my Razr M. I had a car dock, the phone itself had an awesome car mode and all. The next Android phone that I've experienced with half decent support was the S5, but the Galaxy Note line doesn't get the same love. With my Note 3, I use my Spigen Bounce case (love the hell outta this thing) and a universal car mount if I need to use it as a GPS. That's all I really need, I guess.

My one knock against the 6 Plus is how awkward that thing looks. Of course, that's personal opinion, but I have a feeling a lot of Note 3 owners may share in my sentiment on that. I could be wrong.

amebiasis

Feb 22, 2011
Montrose, CO/ Vero Beach, FL
I'm in the same boat except I definitely won't get the Note 4. My wife has a 6+ and I love messing around with the thing. On the other hand I love Android and have a ton of money with apps/music etc on it. I'm seriously torn myself I love the 6 inch screen, speakers, unlocked bootloader etc. On the Nexus, But the 6+ feels great imo in hand and is ridiculously smooth. And with jailbreaking it there is actually quite a bit you can do with them after reading up on it. I think I'm probably going with the 6+ personally. As you also stated the accessories for it for outweigh other phones, the 128gb option is nice, and just to get a new OS to play around with.

Status
Not open for further replies.