Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,680 Members 45,988 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Question on 720p vs 1080p playback

Tip us?

noobmaster
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Question on 720p vs 1080p playback

So for the longest time, my Note 3 always lagged a bit with 1080p videos, but a few days ago when I just updated to the newest MX Player, 1080p videos now play perfectly.

A majority of my videos are encoded in 720p mainly because 1080p couldn't play right, but now I'm thinking of re-encoding all my movies in 1080p. My question is will it make a difference in quality? I can always tell the difference in quality when I watch on my 42 inch TV since there's some distance between me and my TV, but when I watch my videos on my phone, I usually have it in front of my face pretty close. Would a video in 1080p make a difference to a 720p video even on a small 5 inch phone? I can tell a huge difference between another one of my phone which is 4 inch (480p) vs my Note 3 (720p) when playing videos. I just want to know if there is no real difference, I was going to keep 720p because 1080p videos are damn huge.

Sorry for the long question. Kudos to anyone who has any knowledge on this subject.

kinstre11
Old
Thanks Meter 15
The fact is 1080p will technically appear better than 720p. Whether or not you notice the difference will depend on how well your eyes are attuned to high pixel images. While I've never done a comparison on my note 3 I have clearly noticed the difference on an 8in tablet. I can notice pixelation on 4k images and higher but I've been exposing my eyes to them for years now. I honestly don't think it would bother you (or me) if watching videos, but if you are ocd like me and have the original files at higher resolution with the storage space I would probably make all my videos the highest res available based on the original (understanding that without high end video editing software there is no benefit to increasing resolution beyond the original).

noobmaster
Old
(Last edited by noobmaster; Today at 01:27 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Oops I forgot to mention. I actually never had problems with 1080p videos. It was always the ones that were encoded in 10bit + 1080p that lagged. With the latest version of MX Player, SW decoder can actually play the damn thing without much lag. And this is with the subtitle enabled which is pretty amazing.

My eyesight is pretty horrible so maybe I won't notice the sharpness of 1080p much...

Edit - So I tested a few videos. Looks like I overestimated the SW decoding. It's definitely come a long way because there isn't as much as lag as before, but there IS still lag. I actually tested some 10bit 1080p with insanely high bitrates and it lags like a mother still. The lag isn't as bad as before, but it is still there. Guess I will just stick with 10bit 720p for now. No matter how much better 1080p may look, it doesn't beat 720p with perfect playback and no annoying lags.