Browse Your Files with Ease using MK Explorer

Google has made quite an effort in perfecting the powerful and multi-faceted OS that we know as … more

How to Fix the Nexus Available Storage Bug – XDA TV

Is your Nexus device only showing half of the available storage as it should? Many … more

Don’t Forget About Birthdays with Birthday Reminder

A person’s birthday is, without a doubt,one of the most important days in his … more

Don’t Fear Flashing with I Don’t Want You!

The XDA message boards are full of various modifications, with many of these helping … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Screen Casting From Android Is Now Live w/ Chromecast

OP airmaxx23

14th July 2014, 01:27 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 3

31 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmaxx23

It's working fine through the Chomecast app for me. I haven't tried any games but everything else is smooth including 1080p videos that were recorded on my phone.

Be cautious with games. My phone shut down several services and a warning screen appeared stating my phone was too hot.
14th July 2014, 12:23 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Does that mirroring work directly from chromecast to phone or do you still need a wifi network to connect them both to?

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
14th July 2014, 03:09 PM   |  #13  
OP Senior Member
Flag Colton, NY
Thanks Meter: 1,031

3,353 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside2171

Does that mirroring work directly from chromecast to phone or do you still need a wifi network to connect them both to?

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

You still need to use Wi-Fi.
15th July 2014, 07:38 AM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 1

9 posts
I'm on Android 4.3, Beanstown build 6, so I can't screen cast Is there an update path I can take (possibly new ROM) that will get me 4.4 and the ability to use this new feature? (I have Chromecast app ver 1.7.4)
15th July 2014, 10:21 AM   |  #15  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 8

14 posts
Donate to Me
More
Could people who have it working SMOOTHLY (to me not smoothly = not working) at 1080p please post the wifi setup they are using? (Router/AP model and 2.4 or 5ghz, is it in the same room, other devices connected, port forwarding or QoS or other router config, or anything else noteworthy)

I haven't touched my chromecast in 3 months because it basically didn't work for anything I wanted to do (main thing is playing photos/videos shot with camera on a bigger screen). Back then I was using a wired router and a Asus EAN66 as wifi AP (box-claim speed of 450 mbps) sitting within 10 feet of both phone and TV/Chromecast in the same room but it was horrible - I was lucky to get maybe 20 seconds of smooth video max. Then it would crash. Much faster to transfer files to computer via usb3 or sdcard then play on TV. Similar story on a Linksys E1000 but I forget which was worse.

True smooth 1080p screen mirroring... that would be nice. Truly something that would wow people. I now have Netgear R7000 (model name "Overkill") and it's 5 feet from the TV so it really better work now! I'll report tomorrow when I can mess with it.
18th July 2014, 10:12 PM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 26

85 posts
I had it working smoothly. First I had to update to most recent chromecast app from google play in US, then once I tried screen mirroring option in the app, it would connect to my chromecast but show nothing. After doing this the chromecast then wanted to reboot and update itself to a later software build. While it rebooted rebooted note 3 and laoded up the chromecast app, option was there to mirror to tv so I chose it and it worked flawlessly and smooth even playing games. I was using stock android TW 4.4.2 and played trials frontier. I have a netgear WNDR 3700 V1 router using 54g (2.4) to connect phone and chromecast to. The tv was like 1ms behind what was displayed on phone but still worked flawlessly. I had my phone power saving mode on and cpu power saving checked. Even with this power saving it worked great for web browsing, videos, and games. Phone did get hot and battery drained quickly! I also use WPA 2 encryption and security!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badchorizo

Could people who have it working SMOOTHLY (to me not smoothly = not working) at 1080p please post the wifi setup they are using? (Router/AP model and 2.4 or 5ghz, is it in the same room, other devices connected, port forwarding or QoS or other router config, or anything else noteworthy)

I haven't touched my chromecast in 3 months because it basically didn't work for anything I wanted to do (main thing is playing photos/videos shot with camera on a bigger screen). Back then I was using a wired router and a Asus EAN66 as wifi AP (box-claim speed of 450 mbps) sitting within 10 feet of both phone and TV/Chromecast in the same room but it was horrible - I was lucky to get maybe 20 seconds of smooth video max. Then it would crash. Much faster to transfer files to computer via usb3 or sdcard then play on TV. Similar story on a Linksys E1000 but I forget which was worse.

True smooth 1080p screen mirroring... that would be nice. Truly something that would wow people. I now have Netgear R7000 (model name "Overkill") and it's 5 feet from the TV so it really better work now! I'll report tomorrow when I can mess with it.

22nd July 2014, 04:02 PM   |  #17  
Flag Pittsburgh,Pa
Thanks Meter: 12

80 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengobengo

I'm on Android 4.3, Beanstown build 6, so I can't screen cast Is there an update path I can take (possibly new ROM) that will get me 4.4 and the ability to use this new feature? (I have Chromecast app ver 1.7.4)

I was running CleanRom with 4.3, and swithched to BajaRom so I could use my chromecast screenmirroring. Baja is 4.4.2 snd it worked flawlessly. Problem for me is, I dont like Baja. Im gonna go back to CleanRom 4.3 jellybean. The trade just isnt worth it for me.
Hope that helps ya.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread