Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,988 Members 45,069 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Not all in-store Verizon folks are idiots, and why an Edge plan saves money

Tip us?

TabGuy
Old
(Last edited by TabGuy; 15th August 2014 at 04:32 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 160
Default Not all in-store Verizon folks are idiots, and why an Edge plan saves money

Yes some are bone heads but some aren't. Here's my recent experience.

I have 4 phones on my account with a 10 gig shared data plan. My daughter wanted to move from Sprint to Verizon so my wife and I went to a Verizon store to help her through the transaction. One of the first things I do when I talk to one of the CS reps is state my position and what I want from this conversation with him/her. I like to see what they know or don't know. My rep, John, saw that I wasn't an average clueless customer and he immediately shifted into a smarter mode. Kudos for that.

So, my daughter decides on a Moto X. He runs the numbers and quickly figures out that it's much cheaper for her to join our family plan. No problem, we'll do that. She now pays us monthly for 1/5 of the total bill.

Then he pulls this one: "I'd like for you to look at the Edge plan for that Moto X." Ok, I'm not dumb, I've read all about the Edge plan. Yes it's no contract and yes you can switch to a new phone after a year but you pay for the phone as you go. I've looked at the numbers and it never makes sense to get Edge unless you just can't wait to upgrade phones. But boy do you pay for it.

Right now my opinion of John is changing. He's trying to pull a fast one. So I object saying, "I'm not interested in Edge." He comes back with, "What if I can prove it saves you money?" "OK, wise guy," I'm thinking, "do you take me for an idiot? Show me how smart you are, bonehead." Instead, I say, "Really? How?"

And he shows me. The way the Edge program works is that the monthly cost of the phone on an Edge plan is retail cost divided into 20 months. In the case of the Moto X it's $400 retail or $20 per month. Turns out if you have a 10 gig, or higher, data plan they discount the Edge program by $25 for EACH phone on the Edge plan. So, in her case the $20 plan minus the $25 discount reduced the plan by $5 compared to a 2 year subsidized contract. "So," I thought, "this guy really knew what he was doing."

Other advantages to Edge: The phone can be upgraded after 60% of the retail price is paid off. That's 12 months. If you want to trade it in sooner than 12 months then pay the difference to get up to 60%. This is a trade-in, you don't keep the phone. However, if you do keep the phone for 20 months it's yours to keep, no trade in necessary.

The break even point is phone that retails for $500. At that point the monthly payment is $25 and the discount is $25.

An HTC One and LG G2 are break even on Edge. A Note 3, S5 and LG G3 are only $5 more on Edge. All in all, it turns out, Edge is a pretty good deal if you have the 10 Gig plan.

In the end, my daughter was happy, I'm happy and it was a great experience. So, not all CS reps are idiots.
From Southern California
Tablet: Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), Phone: Galaxy Note 3
Alma Mater: UCLA (Birthplace of the Internet)
The Following User Says Thank You to TabGuy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ihavenewnike
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Nice too bad I have unlimited and won't be going the edge route
Droid, Droid 2, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Incredible, HTC Thunderbolt, Droid Charge, Droid Bionic, Droid RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, GALAXY NOTE 3 W/ Unlimited Data!! FU VERIZON!!

samcook2003
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavenewnike View Post
Nice too bad I have unlimited and won't be going the edge route
You can say that again

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ihavenewnike
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcook2003 View Post
You can say that again

Yeah. Because of how much data I use, they told me they would give me all the deals of a more everything plan plus 20% off my whole bill. Then I said I already have 20% off through a worker who worked there years ago. They said it would add on top of that. So 40% off plus what ever more eveything. But given how much data I use, wouldn't do anything for me.
Droid, Droid 2, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Incredible, HTC Thunderbolt, Droid Charge, Droid Bionic, Droid RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, GALAXY NOTE 3 W/ Unlimited Data!! FU VERIZON!!

Surge1223
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3558

DONATE TO ME
You lost me at "some aren't"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Surge1223 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Deekayy
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Nice experience. Not sure why you keep calling him a bone head in your mind. If you knew about the edge and the savings you get (-$25 for 10gb), then the sale would be as easy as in and out. But then again looks like you didn't know of that last part about the savings. Anyways congrats on your new phone purchase.

TabGuy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deekayy View Post
Nice experience. Not sure why you keep calling him a bone head in your mind. If you knew about the edge and the savings you get (-$25 for 10gb), then the sale would be as easy as in and out. But then again looks like you didn't know of that last part about the savings. Anyways congrats on your new phone purchase.

For now. The days of unlimited are coming to an end. Before long the only to keep unlimited data is to never change your phone.
From Southern California

droidstyle
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3354

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
For now. The days of unlimited are coming to an end. Before long the only to keep unlimited data is to never change your phone.
As. Long as wee keep our current unlimited plans and buy our devices outright then I do not see how they can legally boot us off of unlimited.
Devices:
VZW Galaxy Note III Dev. Edition
VZW Galaxy S III
Asus T. Prime
---------
VZW Galaxy S Fascinate GUIDE
VZW Galaxy S III GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note II GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note III GUIDE

TabGuy
Old
(Last edited by TabGuy; 16th August 2014 at 08:54 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidstyle View Post
As. Long as wee keep our current unlimited plans and buy our devices outright then I do not see how they can legally boot us off of unlimited.
First of all, if you read your contract you'll see that they have the right to change the contract at any time. In essence, legally, they can boot you off of unlimited data anytime they want. There's nothing you can do about it, you signed the contract. Right now they won't do that because there are too many unlimited plan customers, including my phone, that it would get bad press.

Another loophole changes in August were people would have someone on their family plan buy a new phone and they switched the SIM card to be able to upgrade their phone without paying full price. That goes away on August 24th.

Right now the only way left to keep unlimited data is to buy a full phone at full price, not a discounted price. However, I expect to see that change in the future. I believe that within the next 12 months Verizon will change their policy with regard to unlimited. They won't kill it but you will lose it if your phone's MEID changes. In effect, the only way to keep unlimited data is to never change to a different phone. Lose your phone, break your phone, or upgrade to a new phone and your unlimited data plan will go away. Verizon has stated LOUD AND CLEAR that they don't like unlimited data plans and that they will eventually end.
From Southern California

kinstre11
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidstyle View Post
This forum has a link about the future of unlimited data. Basically Verizon will begin throttling people who use more data than they deem profitable.