Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Alright.. Help me root my NC4 note 3..

OP clark707

25th August 2014, 06:33 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
65 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
I've got a Verizon Note 3 now with the NC4 ota on it already. I need root. Not want need. I use my hotspot religiously. Tried towel root. Busy box wont install because of superuser permissions. I uninstalled all of them etc.. Nothing.. Factory reset my phone. Towelroot'd again. Then busybox. same message. "there was a problem opening a shell with root access. This is either being caused by a superuser/supersu or by a device that is inproperly rooted. Try removing superuser permissions, uninstalling this app reinstalling this app then regranting permissions. Well After rooting a factory reseted nc4 with towel root busybox showed this. So then i proceded to supersu. Tries to install shows option to disable knox fails. Installed superuser and tried to update binary, failed and crashed superuser.

Ever phone i've had has been rooted. thunderbolt/s3/n2/s4.. the note 3 has became the b*tch of the family that doesnt want to listen. Please help. I feel these threads overpopulate the forums but i've tried multiple times. given up waited a few months and tried again. This being my fourth attempt owning the phone im to the point where i want to give up and get my old s4 back.. So please help me with any information you can give.

Thanks

edit: yeah signature is old.. havent been on in a while sorry.
25th August 2014, 07:51 AM   |  #2  
RomsWell's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Venice
Thanks Meter: 1,029
 
1,584 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark707

I've got a Verizon Note 3 now with the NC4 ota on it already. I need root. Not want need. I use my hotspot religiously. Tried towel root. Busy box wont install because of superuser permissions. I uninstalled all of them etc.. Nothing.. Factory reset my phone. Towelroot'd again. Then busybox. same message. "there was a problem opening a shell with root access. This is either being caused by a superuser/supersu or by a device that is inproperly rooted. Try removing superuser permissions, uninstalling this app reinstalling this app then regranting permissions. Well After rooting a factory reseted nc4 with towel root busybox showed this. So then i proceded to supersu. Tries to install shows option to disable knox fails. Installed superuser and tried to update binary, failed and crashed superuser.

Ever phone i've had has been rooted. thunderbolt/s3/n2/s4.. the note 3 has became the b*tch of the family that doesnt want to listen. Please help. I feel these threads overpopulate the forums but i've tried multiple times. given up waited a few months and tried again. This being my fourth attempt owning the phone im to the point where i want to give up and get my old s4 back.. So please help me with any information you can give.

Thanks

edit: yeah signature is old.. havent been on in a while sorry.

Make sure usb debugging is enabled. then retry towel root
25th August 2014, 08:07 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
65 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomsWell

Make sure usb debugging is enabled. then retry towel root

Enabled USB debugging. Uninstaller Chinese superuser crap. Install supersu from play store. Try to update. Failed knox.
25th August 2014, 02:55 PM   |  #4  
kinstre11's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hobe Sound
Thanks Meter: 25
 
101 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark707

Enabled USB debugging. Uninstaller Chinese superuser crap. Install supersu from play store. Try to update. Failed knox.

Go back to towelroot. After rooting use a root checker to verify root. Don't worry about updating SU Binaries or disabling Knox, if you are planning to flash a custom rom this will all get taken care of as pretty much every rom has done this for you, you should still be able to grant permissions without updating. If the busybox app you are using doesn't work, try another one, the one I always use is created by a Steven something (can't remember last name).

If you are not going to flash a custom rom follow the instructions in the 3rd post found here.
25th August 2014, 03:28 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
65 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinstre11

Go back to towelroot. After rooting use a root checker to verify root. Don't worry about updating SU Binaries or disabling Knox, if you are planning to flash a custom rom this will all get taken care of as pretty much every rom has done this for you, you should still be able to grant permissions without updating. If the busybox app you are using doesn't work, try another one, the one I always use is created by a Steven something (can't remember last name).

If you are not going to flash a custom rom follow the instructions in the 3rd post found here.

alright. UNinstalled everything and reinstalled towel root. Ran towelroot no errors. downloaded root tester and no root access. The busybox I download is the first one that comes up by Stephen. Still gives me the same error.

Something is wrong with superuser. I UNinstalled them all and I've tried them all. Superuser by chains fails to download manifest. Busybox X says no root or bad superuser.idk what to freaking do its pissing me off
Last edited by clark707; 25th August 2014 at 03:34 PM.
25th August 2014, 03:40 PM   |  #6  
kinstre11's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hobe Sound
Thanks Meter: 25
 
101 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark707

alright. UNinstalled everything and reinstalled towel root. Ran towelroot no errors. downloaded root tester and no root access. The busybox I download is the first one that comes up by Stephen. Still gives me the same error.

Just to make sure, you did install SuperSU prior to running root checker? Permissions are required to verify root.

If so, I would reflash the stock firmware via Odin and start over. The firmware file can be found here. After flashing through Odin boot into recovery and factory reset/wipe cache. Then try rooting again, make sure you have the latest towelroot.
25th August 2014, 04:01 PM   |  #7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
65 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinstre11

Just to make sure, you did install SuperSU prior to running root checker? Permissions are required to verify root.

If so, I would reflash the stock firmware via Odin and start over. The firmware file can be found here. After flashing through Odin boot into recovery and factory reset/wipe cache. Then try rooting again, make sure you have the latest towelroot.

For an obvious answer I just did towelroot then root checker. Because none of the super users work.. and I'll have to do that when I get off work tonight. Would prefer a different route though.
25th August 2014, 04:04 PM   |  #8  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
65 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1408975471785.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  56.3 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1408975478471.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  86.9 KB
25th August 2014, 04:43 PM   |  #9  
kinstre11's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hobe Sound
Thanks Meter: 25
 
101 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark707

For an obvious answer I just did towelroot then root checker. Because none of the super users work.. and I'll have to do that when I get off work tonight. Would prefer a different route though.

As I tried to say before, you don't need to update the binaries for SuperSU to do its job. Just install it, don't worry about opening it or trying to disable Knox. Something about NC4 OTA doesn't like rooting as Verizon continues to try to lockdown our phones as much as they can.
ATM, Towelroot is the best root method I know of as it is a one click method that works, I haven't seen anywhere on these forums that it has failed for our device short of users missing some important link in the chain. I haven't tried kingo or the chinese version of rooting since being on KitKat so I don't know if they work on the current firmware nor have I seen anyone talking about them since Towelroot was discovered for our device.

Steps to successful root, busybox, safestrap, custom rom are in the second post of this thread. My only addition to the steps would be to install a switch user app (i.e. SuperSU) in between Steps 1 & 2. You can switch out any 4.4 rom for the Stock rom provided by BeansTown106 as long as you make sure to flash the NC2 kernel in the appropriate step. The only exception would be if you are planning on using Jasmine Rom as hsbadr has recently rebuilt his 2 versions on the NC4 kernel, in which case you don't need to do anything special, simply flash via Safestrap following the instructions in his OP. (I apologize if you already understand all this, just trying to be thorough so we don't have to keep going back and forth).
25th August 2014, 04:45 PM   |  #10  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
65 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
Alright well with just supersu installed and towellroot ran busy box fails each time.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes