Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,492 Members 53,112 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I am completely dumbfounded!!

Tip us?

durand216
Old
(Last edited by durand216; 3rd July 2014 at 04:24 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
OK,

So I have my Verizon Galaxy Note 3 and I just saw that geohot posted a quick and easy root!! awesome!! So I went to work, looked at eclipse ROM and thought...BACK TO MY GALAXY NEXUS DAYS!! Here is the issue...

Rooted and confirmed with towelroot...I made it rain...

SuperSU (chainfire) installed

SafeStrap 3.75 B04 Installed and bootable!

Busy Box installed

Now I downloaded the eclipse ROM and I was ready to flash to a ROM slot. good to go...anndd...black screen...So I figured I would make a Nandroid backup and just flash it to my stock slot...and...black screen? what gives?

I am running a running a retail Verizon note 3. I have the NC4 stock ROM running. At this point should I use Odin to flash the NC2 ROM? Could I just flash Eclipse? I need some help here.

At this point I have only tried flashing the eclipse ROM. Could I flash the NC2 ROM with Odin over my NC4?

***Update***

Posting live from my Eclipse ROM. For all of you Galaxy Note 3 NC4 Stock's out there. This is what I did in order to get here.

1.) Ensure you are on the 4.4.2 OTA Stock ROM.

2.) Do a quick Google and search towel root. You are going to have to allow APK's from other sources. Once you install Towel Root...MAKE IT RAIN!!!

4.) Do another google for Hash's "Safestrap 3.75 B04" Download the APK, install...AND DO NOT MAKE A RECOVERY YET!

5.) Head to the play store and download chainfire's "SuperSU". Install...but don't play with it just yet.

6.) Back to the play store to download busybox. Install and leave alone.

7.) Now here is where you need to pau attention...this is what worked for me.

a.) Head to SuperSU and install the NORMAL binaries...not CWM/TWRP!! Give the thumbs up to remove KNOX.
b.) Head back over to busybox and install
c.) Now we head over to Safestrap. Install your recovery and PUMP YOUR BRAKES!!!

9.) If this is your first time or you are a little unfamiliar your a little nervous...we have all been there...I got it. So you might softbrick your phone and freak out right? Let's go grab some insurance.

10.) Download Odin 3.07 and the Samsung drivers. Get Odin from XDA!! The links are posted as long as you search the forum.
( make sure you right click Odin and run as administrator)

11.) Next we need your insurance. Head on over to SamMobile. (Google it). Create an account...yes you have to. Find your Stock ROM 'NC4' and download. Once you have your Stock ROM save it to the desktop. Unzip you .tar file and leave it be.

### WE ALSO NEED THE NC2 KERNAL!!! Dig the forums and download the NC2 Kernal. Unzip on the desktop and you will have a .tar file...you WILL need this later.

12.) So what ROM to flash? Your choice. Head to the forums and pick out a 4.4.2 ROM to flash. Save it to the download folder on your phone. SDCARD is your internal!

13.) Next go ahead and power down your Note!!

14.) Safestrap will pop up and you and you should tap "recovery"

### Your on the "stock slot by default" so we need to backup our stock ###

15.) Press backup and swipe your backup!

16.) Next we need to head to boot options.

17.) Select ROM slot one.

18.) Partition your slot!

19.) Next activate slot 1! ( you should go from STOCK in RED at the top, to slot 1 in blue )

20.) Now we need to wipe...head to wipe And give it a slide...no advanced...just swipe!!!

21.) So we have a cleaned and wiped slot. Head over to install, and find your ROM we downloaded in the download folder. Swipe to install!

22.) Finished? Wipe the cache and dalvick for good measure.

23.) Next head to reboot on the main menu. Hit reboot and select DOWNLOAD. We need to flash the NC2 Kernal....almost done!!

24.) Open Odin and load your NC2 Kernal in the PDA slot...don't mess with settings...

25.) Once it is done loading...plug your note 3 and ensure you see a blue "COM4,5,6" whatever you have.

26.) Start...WAIT UNTIL IT SAYS PASS...YOIR DONE...ENJOY!!!

If you softbrick your phone, open ODIN...put your phone into download mode ( POWER+Volume Down+Home button ) press volume up to load custom, and flash that insurance NC4 stock ROM.

If you follow this lockstep you should be good to go!!

2swizzle
Old
Thanks Meter 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by durand216 View Post
OK,

So I have my Verizon Galaxy Note 3 and I just saw that geohot posted a quick and easy root!! awesome!! So I went to work, looked at eclipse ROM and thought...BACK TK MY GALAXY NEXUS DAYS!! Here is the issue...

Rooted and confirmed with towelroot...I made it rain...

SuperSU (chainfire) installed

SafeStrap 3.72 Installed and bootable!

Now I downloaded the eclipse ROM and I was ready to flash to a ROM slot. good to go...anndd...black screen...So I figured I would make a Nandroid backup and just flash it to my stock slot...and...black screen? what gives?

I am running a r
wrong safestrap. you have to use 3.75 b4

durand216
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
So installed the Safstrap 3.75 B04...no dice. still getting a black screen.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app

moin786
Old
(Last edited by moin786; 2nd July 2014 at 06:23 AM.)
Thanks Meter 16
Go in to safestrap 3.75 B04> Factory reset>Wipe System, Data, Cache.
Then Flash Eclipse ROM, Wipe cache.
Then go into Download mode from Safestrap, flash NC2 kernel in ODIN and reboot.

NC2 Kernel: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358549122

durand216
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Went ahead and downloaded the kernal, could not find the NC2 TAR.

moin786
Old
(Last edited by moin786; 3rd July 2014 at 12:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by durand216 View Post
Went ahead and downloaded the kernal, could not find the NC2 TAR.

Unzip the zip file and you will get the tar file...

durand216
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
No tar file in my first download, had to find another link.

bkabner1
Old
(Last edited by bkabner1; 6th July 2014 at 03:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
How long does it stay on the Verizon screen before booting into Eclipse?

**Update...never mind the question. I meant to say Eclipse screen. I was finally able to get it to boot up.

I have been modding phones for years. It has been about two years since I had a android device. I went to the dark side for awhile :/

It has taken me literally ALL day to get Eclipse up and running. I had to use odin to restore 3 times to get it to work...lol

Thanks for the tips!

**Update 2: I am not able to get LTE to connect after doing nc2 kernel flash. Any tips?

**Update 3: I was finally able to get LTE connect. However, my signal is much worse than prior to installing ROM. When I go to about on phone it still shows my baseband as being NC4. It does show my build number as being NC2 and SE for Android status is permissive. I guess flash of nc2 in odin was successful. Anyone have any thoughts on why my signal quality would be worse now?

When I try to go back to stock in safestrap it hangs at Verizon logo. I thought I would switch back to stock and check signal. No dice though.