Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,166 Members 44,918 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Dev ed vs retail ed

Tip us?

helix139
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Default Dev ed vs retail ed

So my Note 2 fell out of my pocket this AM on the golf course and I'm unable to track it down using GPS, alarms, etc. Pretty much it's gone and I'm pretty sure someone has picked it up and pocketed it or it got ran over by the lawnmowers. That said, rather than get a locked down insurance replacement, I figured I'd go ahead and upgrade to the Note 3. As I have unlimited data, I'll be paying full retail on my device. So all that said, a couple of questions:

1) is there any reason not to get the dev edition instead of the standard retail edition? Do most ROMs support both?

2) Are these phones unlocked internationally (both dev and retail) for both data and voice?

3) Has the carrier check on the wifi hotspot been disabled on custom roms?

4) Anything else I should be aware of for dev ed vs regular?

kinstre11
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I don't have a Dev edition but from what I've gathered across the forums, the Dev edition is compatible with most custom roms so long as the correct firmware is present.
Dev edition would be the only unlocked phone as it is bought directly from Samsung. As long as you are rooted the hotspot issue can be solved, however I've noticed that most developers include the hotspot fix.
Since you will be paying full price for your new phone, if you are big on custom roms and such I would say Dev edition is the way to go because of the freedom you get (including CyanogenMod).
It's too bad you lost your phone now as the note 4 will likely follow suit with previous releases and be available this fall. Not to mention the rumored fall release of the new flagship Samsung F series.

helix139
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinstre11 View Post
It's too bad you lost your phone now as the note 4 will likely follow suit with previous releases and be available this fall. Not to mention the rumored fall release of the new flagship Samsung F series.
Yeah tell me about it. I loved my Note 2 and was planning to wait for the 4. Oh well, maybe I;ll sell the N3 when the time comes and upgrade again.

kinstre11
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Good thinking. I've been waiting for official release announcements for the fall lineup of phones before I decide what I will upgrade to.