Originally Posted by donkyflip
I currently have JB MJE rooted with Kingo on my Note 3. I am constantly getting a software update notice popup that will most certainly update my phone to KK with NC4 bootloader. When I first got the message, I accepted the OTA update, but the update failed because the phone is rooted; which I am glad it failed. After spending the past few days reading up on several threads in this forum, I would prefer to do my own update to KK so I can restrict the update of the bootloader to NC2, rather than NC4, so I can keep the option of going back to JB.
In the main thread that I've been reading, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2787627, bigzilla recommended to people who were having trouble updating to KK that they should follow the instructions for updating by Odin the MJE tar, then use Kingo to root the phone (which would put a person into the same state that I have). Then, go through the MJE to NC2 KK update described in this thread
I would have (and might still) followed those instructions except for one thing... I would prefer not to completely wipe data factory reset my phone. I have a number of apps & games that I would prefer to not lose all the data (e.g., high scores, levels completed, badges earned, etc..).
So, my question is two-fold. Is there a way for me to update to KK with NC2 bootloader without having to wipe data factory reset the phone and without tripping KNOX? And, if not, is there a way to back up my apps & data and then restore them after the factory reset? For example, use Titanium Backup to make full backup to extSD beforehand. And then, afterwards, reinstall Titanium and use the earlier backup from extSD to reinstall the apps & data. In theory, the latter seems like it should work, but I've not tried it myself so would rather ask the experts here before I do anything rash.
Get Tibu paid. Backup your apps. Use Tibu batch to make a flashable zip of your backup. Move that to your external sd and flash after your done... ��. I'm at the gym right now, I'll give the post with instructions when I get home.
Edit : Here you go,
1) Get Titanium Backup paid version. If you're going to be flashing roms it's a no brainer.
1.5) Change titanium backup location to external sd card. I mistakenly wiped my internal once and lost everything.
2) I use batch backup of user apps only. I don't do system apps.
3) Go through Tibu and make sure things you want are backed up, for example Chrome bookmarks don't backup in batch mode you have to do it manually. Check for any games you have, etc.
4) Go to Batch mode> Recovery mode> Run create an update zip+data backup
5) Check and make sure what you want is there before zip is made.
6) Make zip, once it's done you will have an update.zip on your internal storage. I rename the zip and move to my external sd card. Depending on how many apps it should be over 1gb to say the least but it depends on how many apps it is.
7) Once you're done you can do your NC2 upgrade, it won't trip knox so just take your time, follow the instructions and find any youtube videos on it. There are some in the thread on how to do it.
8) Once you're done with that and you're on the custom rom of your choice install Tibu from market. Change default location to your external sd card tibu location.
9) Reboot rom into safe strap, wipe cache & dalvik cache, flash your backup zip(whatever you named it or it will be update.zip)
10 Once it's flashed restart phone...
I can't take any credit for this. I learned it in the Baja rom now Alliance thread. I do this with Tibu before I flash any new rom now.
EDIT: MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING RETAIL NOTE 3 KK UPGRADE IF YOU HAVE A RETAIL NOTE 3 AND DEVELOPER STEPS FOR DEVELOPER NOTE 3 OR YOU WILL POSSIBLY BRICK YOUR PHONE!!
I'm not yelling at you but I want to make sure you don't brick your phone.
Sent by Darkseid from Apokolips