Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,829 Members 42,525 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] First time Rooting on a Samsung device Advice plz

Tip us?
 
Dooms87
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 18
Join Date: Apr 2012
Question [Q] First time Rooting on a Samsung device Advice plz

I personally use HTC one and am rooted with a custom rom. I had purchased a verizon Galaxy Note 3 for my sister as a Christmas gift and she loves the thing but i guess after loading up junk to it and the bloat already on the phone its gotten slow and Samsung patched out the ability to tether. So she has commissioned me to root her phone for her and find a Debloated rom that's as close to stock as possible. Correct me if i'm wrong but based on my reading Samsung devices have a extra hurdle to jump called KNOX and it will cause you to void your warranty and its unrecoverable from that voided state ? Is what i'm asking possible to do without doing this to the phone if this even happens ? I know the new TowelRoot method is the in thing to rooting Samsung devices but that's all i know about it. Her Note3 is on the second OTA update does this matter ? should i update to the latest OTA ? then root ? Any input would be GREATLY appreciated especially cause you'd help me to get my sister to stop harassing me to do this for her lol
 
thegamerdarkseid
Old
#2  
thegamerdarkseid's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 293
Posts: 951
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago,IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooms87 View Post
I personally use HTC one and am rooted with a custom rom. I had purchased a verizon Galaxy Note 3 for my sister as a Christmas gift and she loves the thing but i guess after loading up junk to it and the bloat already on the phone its gotten slow and Samsung patched out the ability to tether. So she has commissioned me to root her phone for her and find a Debloated rom that's as close to stock as possible. Correct me if i'm wrong but based on my reading Samsung devices have a extra hurdle to jump called KNOX and it will cause you to void your warranty and its unrecoverable from that voided state ? Is what i'm asking possible to do without doing this to the phone if this even happens ? I know the new TowelRoot method is the in thing to rooting Samsung devices but that's all i know about it. Her Note3 is on the second OTA update does this matter ? should i update to the latest OTA ? then root ? Any input would be GREATLY appreciated especially cause you'd help me to get my sister to stop harassing me to do this for her lol
Check to see if the phone is on NC4, most likely you are at this point. If so read this thread here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2787627

Scroll down to post 2 and follow instructions that read coming from NC4 OTA.

If you've never used Odin see here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2576104

Once up and running most roms are good. Alliance is great but the settings are very involved and may a bit much for her. I have the last Baja rom before they became Alliance if you're interested. The s5 port is a work of art as well but more than she's looking for probably. I can't really say for what rom you should pick as that's user choice. Hope this helps.
I'm the XDA user formerly known as theafrosamurai, going in a new direction since I'm gaming more now.


Follow me @
 
Dooms87
Old
(Last edited by Dooms87; 22nd August 2014 at 12:37 AM.)
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 18
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegamerdarkseid View Post
Check to see if the phone is on NC4, most likely you are at this point. If so read this thread here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2787627

Scroll down to post 2 and follow instructions that read coming from NC4 OTA.

If you've never used Odin see here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2576104

Once up and running most roms are good. Alliance is great but the settings are very involved and may a bit much for her. I have the last Baja rom before they became Alliance if you're interested. The s5 port is a work of art as well but more than she's looking for probably. I can't really say for what rom you should pick as that's user choice. Hope this helps.

I'm not 100% sure what version or what part of the build your looking for so here is a picture please let me know how i should proceed from here

galaxy note 3
 
Dooms87
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 18
Join Date: Apr 2012
Not sure if the picture is showing up correctly here is the link

http://imgur.com/7UBs7Yx
 
thegamerdarkseid
Old
(Last edited by thegamerdarkseid; 22nd August 2014 at 02:03 AM.)
#5  
thegamerdarkseid's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 293
Posts: 951
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago,IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooms87 View Post
Not sure if the picture is showing up correctly here is the link

http://imgur.com/7UBs7Yx
Thanks for checking and sharing that pic. You're on MJE. Look for the kingo root app online. There's no link on xda. The app is pretty straight forward from what I remember. If she just wants bloatware gone she can download Titanium Backup once rooted and get rid of some bloat.

Found a kingo video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fldtAh...e_gdata_player

Sent by Darkseid from Apokolips
I'm the XDA user formerly known as theafrosamurai, going in a new direction since I'm gaming more now.


Follow me @
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes